• The KillerFrogs

Tom Hoge keeps his tour card...by 1 shot

JogginFrog

Will also post in the TCU Golf thread but thought this news was worth its own thread.

TCU alum Tom Hoge finished outside of the Top 125 on the PGA Tour points list, so he went into "The Finals" where 75 tour pros plus 50 Web.com guys play four tournaments, with the top 25 aggregate money winners earning Tour cards.

Tom needed a top-15 finish in the last tournament, the Web.com Championship. Today he shot a 65, with 7 birdies on his last 12 holes, to finish T12 and earn the 23rd of the 25 available cards.
https://www.pgatour.com/webcom/leaderboard.html

Near as I can tell, one stroke higher would have left him outside the top 25. And just like J.J., he closed with a final-hole birdie.

Congrats, Tom!

JogginFrog

And Tom birdies the last for a back-nine 30 that takes him to the top of the leaderboard!

Think we'll be seeing him on Golf Channel in the next 24 hours.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Well, the golf coaches always said to relax. I imagine winning his Tour Card for next year is a monster relief for him, and he can play without worry.

Frog-in-law1995

Somewhere there’s a video of a guy in Q school who misses getting his card because his putt hits the off-center lip of the back of the cup just right and bounces back out.

JogginFrog

Somewhere there’s a video of a guy in Q school who misses getting his card because his putt hits the off-center lip of the back of the cup just right and bounces back out.

Happened in 2000 to Joe Daley. I think it was in round 4 of 6 but he did miss his card by a stroke and never did get to the big tour, although he won a Champions Tour event in 2012.

Golf Channel did a follow-up feature a few years back:
http://www.golfchannel.com/video/q-school-stories-joe-daleys-and-out-putt/

SnoSki

Of course, I have a lot of respect for anyone on the PGA tour, but the dudes who grind through Q school absolutely blow my mind. That has to be incredibly nerve-racking.

Congrats to Tom. Major major accomplishment that is often underestimated by the fans.
In a lot of ways, getting on the PGA TOUR is harder than staying on it. You get 20-25 weeks to try to stay on. This has changed quite a bit recently with the web.com tour earning you status on the regular tour, but it' still gives you some breathing room...and the opportunity to make a lot more money.