• The KillerFrogs

To all you Sonny haters.

Long Time Lurker

Cumbie was never given a chance. I’m not a cheerleader for SC, but I didn’t hate him because I knew Gary was not letting him run the offense the way he wanted.
What do you do with the staff now? A toxic leader was holding them back and now they have to pay for it by being let go.

Fiscuits

Cumbie was never given a chance. I’m not a cheerleader for SC, but I didn’t hate him because I knew Gary was not letting him run the offense the way he wanted.
What do you do with the staff now? A toxic leader was holding them back and now they have to pay for it by being let go.
That’s the way football go. They have three games left as a job interview for the new coach. I have to admit, I thought they would mail it in but that did not happen.

PurpleBlood87

Thought we were talking about Sonny Dykes.

Obviously yesterday the game plan changed when Miller got knocked out. And it became "Air Meachum".

Also it is possible that Patterson had Meachum on a short leash and wouldn't let him open things up.

I always felt like whoever the OC was his playback got much more limited when the Frogs got into field goal range.

I do love the fact that TCU went under center near the goal line. Never understood snapping the ball six or seven yards back when you need one or two yards.

Sebastian S

It helped we had a QB and WR’s that executed. We all know how it feels like when the team throws the ball and it seems like no one could catch the ball.

Morris either had amazing touch or the WR’s stepped up. He throws what seems to be very catchable balls and he has great feel. For someone’s first start, pretty amazing.

Hoping he has a lot left in the tank and can get better- if that’s even possible. He set the benchmark pretty high.

Pharm Frog

It helped we had a QB and WR’s that executed. We all know how it feels like when the team throws the ball and it seems like no one could catch the ball.

Morris either had amazing touch or the WR’s stepped up. He throws what seems to be very catchable balls and he has great feel. For someone’s first start, pretty amazing.

Hoping he has a lot left in the tank and can get better- if that’s even possible. He set the benchmark pretty high.

Yesterday there were wide receivers and slot receivers in places on the field rarely seen. AND, when you have to account for ALL eligible receivers including that unicorn position of TE, it’s an added bonus…. I don’t suppose I’ll ever know for sure but I’m thinking that there was so much pressure to NOT turn the ball over that we almost avoided the middle of the field altogether in the passing game. I hope that’s not it but it sure feels that way to me.

East Coast

Tier 1
Yesterday there were wide receivers and slot receivers in places on the field rarely seen. AND, when you have to account for ALL eligible receivers including that unicorn position of TE, it’s an added bonus…. I don’t suppose I’ll ever know for sure but I’m thinking that there was so much pressure to NOT turn the ball over that we almost avoided the middle of the field altogether in the passing game. I hope that’s not it but it sure feels that way to me.
I agree with this. I love Max but one big difference is that Morris seems to understand how to throw a WR open.

Limp Lizard

What about all the Meacham haters, too?

Interesting comment from the announcers about offensive play calling. They said the offensive was not free of any GP-imposed restraints. But we have always been told that Gary is very hands-off, but there have been too many characteristics of the offense, especially the last 6 years with all different OCs and play callers.

Was it execution or calling, or both? I know it helps to have a QB who is accurate. Now that I think of it, I think it was often Morris' playing...we have had open receivers all year long, but could not hit them. And he never would have played unless Duggan could not go. Like Ballard in 2005.

netty2424

Morris is more elusive, more accurate, sees his options better and gets the ball out much, much more quickly. The quickness of his release helps his blockers immensely.

As to Cumbie, that debate is over. One thing we didn’t see yesterday is the goal line fade so there’s that
While those saying GP had Meacham on a governor may be somewhat true, but it may have been less about how he told Meach to call the game, and more about what Meach felt like Max couldn’t do, and called the game accordingly.

Either way, that personnel call is GP’s.

Long Time Lurker

Saying CGMFP was ”toxic“ is ridiculous and hyperbole.
Here are a few ways the Army defines “toxic leadership.” I taught course on it, and worked for a few in my 22 years. You get to see it in the military because we change so often.

(3) Insensitive driven achiever. These leaders are usually bright and energetic and consumed by need for unit accom- plishment and its attendant recognition. They often provide impressive short term results, but create a frenzied, micro- managed climate. They are frequently inattentive to the morale of their organization.
(4) Toxic self-centered abuser. These leaders are also usually bright and energetic, as well as goal-oriented and boss- focused. Capable of producing spectacular short term results, but are arrogant, abusive, intemperate, distrusting, and iras- cible. They are typically distrusting micro-managers never burdened by introspection

Sound like anyone we know?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Morris is more elusive, more accurate, sees his options better and gets the ball out much, much more quickly. The quickness of his release helps his blockers immensely.

As to Cumbie, that debate is over. One thing we didn’t see yesterday is the goal line fade so there’s that
He did manage to enrage me in the first half with a 3rd-and-4 play where he went 5-wide. Again.

Urrrr...

Froggy Style

Here are a few ways the Army defines “toxic leadership.” I taught course on it, and worked for a few in my 22 years. You get to see it in the military because we change so often.

(3) Insensitive driven achiever. These leaders are usually bright and energetic and consumed by need for unit accom- plishment and its attendant recognition. They often provide impressive short term results, but create a frenzied, micro- managed climate. They are frequently inattentive to the morale of their organization.
(4) Toxic self-centered abuser. These leaders are also usually bright and energetic, as well as goal-oriented and boss- focused. Capable of producing spectacular short term results, but are arrogant, abusive, intemperate, distrusting, and iras- cible. They are typically distrusting micro-managers never burdened by introspection

Sound like anyone we know?
Yes, most people in management are taught that being overly controlling jerk will end up with incompetence around you and a toxic work environment.

This is what I've seen here for four years. Inability to make adjustments because the Head Coach surrounded himself with people who had no other options and were totally reliant on him...even though he needed people who would push him to adjust.

No reason to harp on it now...but GP was definitely the overly controlling type. Constantly yelling in someone's face didn't make it hard to read through the lines.