• The KillerFrogs

Time to start scheduling worth a [ Finebaum ] in non conference play.

Dogfrog

Both us and Oklahoma went 7-11 in the Big 12, we made it further than them in the Big 12 tournament

But because we schedule like cowards in non conference and Oklahoma scheduled up and actually played good teams, they got in.

Oklahoma had the 11th ranked non conference SOS.

There you go.

Do more research

Pharm Frog

Yep. At this point what appeared true at the time is now incontestable: the stupid decision to slow down our offense and try to kill the clock vs. Kansas has defined our season. Just keep scoring. It's that simple.

Give the ball to Bane and you could have slowed it down as much as the shot clock would have allowed. We refused to do that and instead opted for High PNR with dribble, dribble, dribble and having one of our most unreliable free throw shooters doing the dribbling.

Froggy Style

I’m with you on this point. Blew my mind all season we would ignore Bane
I watched the last press conference and noticed Bane was almost like a coach with his answers while abob was giggling like a child.

Looking back on many of these games, I feel like abob and JDMiller were just trying to shoot their way to the NBA, season be damned. Bane and Noi could have shot our way into a mid seed in the tourney.

MTfrog5

I watched the last press conference and noticed Bane was almost like a coach with his answers while abob was giggling like a child.

Looking back on many of these games, I feel like abob and JDMiller were just trying to shoot their way to the NBA, season be damned. Bane and Noi could have shot our way into a mid seed in the tourney.
Miller- “3’s are part of our game make or miss”
Dixon “ we are shooting too many 3’s”

Think you are spot on and the leadership from Bane next year will be a lot different than Miller or Arob

CountryFrog

Give the ball to Bane and you could have slowed it down as much as the shot clock would have allowed. We refused to do that and instead opted for High PNR with dribble, dribble, dribble and having one of our most unreliable free throw shooters doing the dribbling.
On the plus side though, the guy doing the picking and rolling was also an unreliable free throw shooter.

Frog Baller

Miller- “3’s are part of our game make or miss”
Dixon “ we are shooting too many 3’s”

Think you are spot on and the leadership from Bane next year will be a lot different than Miller or Arob

Those two are the last Trent Johnson recruits. Next year will be the first year of all Dixon recruits.

Pharm Frog

On the plus side though, the guy doing the picking and rolling was also an unreliable free throw shooter.

To be fair, if Noi or Bane or Owens wasn't setting the pick, they were all unreliable to varying degrees. Samuel was reliable in the worst sense of the word. If anyone is a glutton for punishment, take a look at the individual stats in conference play. Not pretty.

Dogfrog

This team was frustrating to all TCU fans for various reasons. But to take our individual specific frustrations and project them as justification for why we didn’t make the tournament is nonsensical.

Wexahu

Both us and Oklahoma went 7-11 in the Big 12, we made it further than them in the Big 12 tournament

But because we schedule like cowards in non conference and Oklahoma scheduled up and actually played good teams, they got in.

Oklahoma had the 11th ranked non conference SOS.

There you go.

We should schedule better non-conference games because they are more competitive and better for the fans who support the program, but I really don't think it matters much in terms of an NCAA bid. We play plenty of games against decent teams with the conference schedule, just win half of those and we'd be in good shape in most years.

Truth be told, there are about 10 too many conferences in Division 1 basketball. Those lower level leagues should be in a different classification and have their own tournament, like FCS in football. Reduce the # of tournament teams to 48, trim Division 1 to about 200 schools, have D1 schools exclusively play D1 schools in non-conference, and it'd be a much better system with way more entertaining games on a whole. I know, will never happen. Makes too much sense. The idea of SWAC and Patriot League teams competing in the same tournament for the same championship as Kentucky, Duke and Kansas is totally ridiculous.

We lost some conference games at home late in the season when there were injury and defection issues. That is what kept us out. Not the non-conference schedule. e.g. Oklahoma

DickBumpastache

OP is correct. For one thing, marquee non-con games, and especially tournaments, raise our profile nationally. They widen the recruiting base, and they show kids that they’ll be on national TV.

Secondly, we’ve started poorly in conference for as long as I can remember (3-5 first 8 in each of the last 3 years), and it’s because we’re not playing anyone with a pulse in November/December. You can’t replicate KState’s defense or KU’s overall talent by playing Arkansas Pine Bluff or Sacramento State.

It might not be the sole or the biggest reason why we’re in the NIT, but it is A reason.