• The KillerFrogs

Thresholds

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
No one that has experienced much of life would ever deny your right to vent.

When I was a junior at TCU my mother was given about a month to live with her cancer. She was a farm girl from Schulenburg and pretty pretty tough. She told her doctors nope, she had a wedding to to go. They told my dad to humor her. When we told her the wedding could be moved up, she refused. Over a year later she not only attended the wedding and stood in a receiving line for way too long. A couple of months later she told my dad she got what she needed and left us.

I don’t know if this makes you feel worse (I hope not) or better. What it should do is let you know that faith, positivity and will power can do wonders.

froginmn

Wes, my Dad worked as a physician and his stressful career led him to smoke his entire adult life. He also enjoyed life and wasn't what you'd call a health nut.

His mom had died 3 days after her 65th birthday, and he was hospitalized and very ill on and in the days after his own 65th. He thought it was his time. He recovered and in the following years talked often about the good life he'd lived and how he was ready to go. He was diagnosed with congestive heart failure in 2002.

I laid him to rest last fall at the age of...87. We never know what God has in store for us, and good for you for crossing those thresholds without regard for what conventional wisdom says.

I wish I could join you in Omaha; it continues to be on my bucket list but I can't seem to retire from coaching baseball and softball. When I do, I'm going and taking my kids. Maybe that will be summer 2020 and you'll be there again.

God bless and God speed.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
No one that has experienced much of life would ever deny your right to vent.

When I was a junior at TCU my mother was given about a month to live with her cancer. She was a farm girl from Schulenburg and pretty pretty tough. She told her doctors nope, she had a wedding to to go. They told my dad to humor her. When we told her the wedding could be moved up, she refused. Over a year later she not only attended the wedding and stood in a receiving line for way too long. A couple of months later she told my dad she got what she needed and left us.

I don’t know if this makes you feel worse (I hope not) or better. What it should do is let you know that faith, positivity and will power can do wonders.
Just knowing that there are people who care enough to leave me messages like that, lifts my spirits.

Thanks for sharing that.

I sometimes marvel at my mom. She was a heavy smoker and was diagnosed with lung cancer. She had the option of radiation and chemotherapy but refused them both. Six weeks later she was gone.It was a fast and painful death and hard to watch.

I know, from what I promised my wife and doc that I wouldn’t read, is that my cancer wont spread. It could move into my central nervous system but will probably stay localized in my brain. That means an relatively painless ending. There could be seizures but I am already on meds to control those, which I dont think that I have had any, except what they described to me as seizures the day this all started.

It’ll come some day but I plan on crossing many more thresholds before I am ready to cash it in

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Wes, my Dad worked as a physician and his stressful career led him to smoke his entire adult life. He also enjoyed life and wasn't what you'd call a health nut.

His mom had died 3 days after her 65th birthday, and he was hospitalized and very ill on and in the days after his own 65th. He thought it was his time. He recovered and in the following years talked often about the good life he'd lived and how he was ready to go. He was diagnosed with congestive heart failure in 2002.

I laid him to rest last fall at the age of...87. We never know what God has in store for us, and good for you for crossing those thresholds without regard for what conventional wisdom says.

I wish I could join you in Omaha; it continues to be on my bucket list but I can't seem to retire from coaching baseball and softball. When I do, I'm going and taking my kids. Maybe that will be summer 2020 and you'll be there again.

God bless and God speed.
Thank you and lets plan on meeting up in Omaha in 2020.

Froglaw

Darn it Wes!

You sent me into the lower bowels of my sports equipment closet looking for my skates.

I've got my skates too!

Thanks for prodding me to look forward to the thresholds to come on a rainy spring Saturday.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Darn it Wes!

You sent me into the lower bowels of my sports equipment closet looking for my skates.

I've got my skates too!

Thanks for prodding me to look forward to the thresholds to come on a rainy spring Saturday.
On a day like this, that’s about all you can do.Man is it pouring out there. No trip to Black Box BBQ today

SwissArmyFrog

Remember the pianist, Liberace? Way back in the 50's (or early 60's) he slept overnight in his dressing room - which had just been painted and had some other treatments that made the environment in his dressing room quite toxic.

Next day he was taken to the hospital and told to get his affairs in order, as he didn't have long before his organs began to shut down. For the next few days he had the time of his life with his attorney gifting people with items from his own personal collections, with money, other gifts - it was like a marathon gift-fest. He had an absolute blast.

He always credited this joyful, happy time - along with something spiritual that occurred - with saving his life in ways doctors couldn't explain.

I've heard many stories like this. This one always had an impact on me, and I always like to tell it.

Double V

Well every average has its outliers. While I haven't met you personally, I feel like this site has allowed many of us to get to know you. I know you are an outlier and will be skating on to conquer the next threshold in no time!

OmniscienceFrog

Im not even sure why I am writing this. It has nothing to do with TCU or sports, so you wont hurt my feelings if you don’t read it or tell me to stop. Maybe I am just in one of those moods.

I’ve always looked at life as a series of thresholds that we have to cross. Some are obvious.From youth to adolescence. From Adolescence to adulthood. From single life to married life to raising children and beyond.

Each is a threshold that we must cross and some are easier than others.

When my parents died, 9 months apart in 1994 & 1995, both were 67 years old. I set it up in my mind that at age 67, I was checking out. It was all a mental thing but it created a threshold, at least in my mind, that I had to cross. Last December, when I hit 68, I felt as though the weight of the world had been lifted from my shoulders and I had crossed that threshold.

In 2006, when my son unexpectedly died, I faced a threshold crossing from grief to redemption. I’m still not sure that I have fully crossed that threshold but think that I have. I hope that I have.

Last March, when I was diagnosed with grade 4 Glioblastoma, my doctor and wife begged me to not read about it. I said that I wouldn’t but lied, I did and then wished that I hadn’t. It was an ugly read but it created another threshold That I needed to cross.

The average life expectancy for someone with grade 4 Glioblastoma and at my age, is 15.6 months after diagnosis.I am at month 13. If you play the averages, that gets me to June.

But I am not thinking that way. In June, I plan on crossing the 15.6 month threshold, checking off a bucket list item by going to the College World Series, with or without my Frogs, and then looking forward to the next threshold in life. I plan on crossing that one as well.

The great Dutch Meyer once said” fight ‘em until hell freezes over, then fight ‘em on the ice”. Well coach, my skates are on and I am headed to the next threshold.

Sorry for this. My wife is out of town, It’s raining, I’m bored and like I said, I’m just in one of those moods.

Go Frogs
Wes, you're so much better a man than me. You just keep hangin' tough and stepping over threshold after threshold.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Wes, you're so much better a man than me. You just keep hangin' tough and stepping over threshold after threshold.
Thanks but I’m no better than anyone. Just a guy going through a rough patch in his life and crossing as many thresholds as I can before I see the big horned frog in the sky

Latest posts