• The KillerFrogs

Thresholds

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Im not even sure why I am writing this. It has nothing to do with TCU or sports, so you wont hurt my feelings if you don’t read it or tell me to stop. Maybe I am just in one of those moods.

I’ve always looked at life as a series of thresholds that we have to cross. Some are obvious.From youth to adolescence. From Adolescence to adulthood. From single life to married life to raising children and beyond.

Each is a threshold that we must cross and some are easier than others.

When my parents died, 9 months apart in 1994 & 1995, both were 67 years old. I set it up in my mind that at age 67, I was checking out. It was all a mental thing but it created a threshold, at least in my mind, that I had to cross. Last December, when I hit 68, I felt as though the weight of the world had been lifted from my shoulders and I had crossed that threshold.

In 2006, when my son unexpectedly died, I faced a threshold crossing from grief to redemption. I’m still not sure that I have fully crossed that threshold but think that I have. I hope that I have.

Last March, when I was diagnosed with grade 4 Glioblastoma, my doctor and wife begged me to not read about it. I said that I wouldn’t but lied, I did and then wished that I hadn’t. It was an ugly read but it created another threshold That I needed to cross.

The average life expectancy for someone with grade 4 Glioblastoma and at my age, is 15.6 months after diagnosis.I am at month 13. If you play the averages, that gets me to June.

But I am not thinking that way. In June, I plan on crossing the 15.6 month threshold, checking off a bucket list item by going to the College World Series, with or without my Frogs, and then looking forward to the next threshold in life. I plan on crossing that one as well.

The great Dutch Meyer once said” fight ‘em until hell freezes over, then fight ‘em on the ice”. Well coach, my skates are on and I am headed to the next threshold.

Sorry for this. My wife is out of town, It’s raining, I’m bored and like I said, I’m just in one of those moods.

Go Frogs

flyfishingfrog

screw the averages - I should have been in the ground 5 years ago per that crap the Doctors would tell you and I am one of those Doctors. - believe in yourself, your inner strength and the Lord - you will win it.

Trust me, my MD doesn't mean I know everything and have seen a thousand things during my career that I would have told you would probably never happen but they did.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
screw the averages - I should have been in the ground 5 years ago per that crap the Doctors would tell you and I am one of those Doctors. - believe in yourself, your inner strength and the Lord - you will win it.

Trust me, my MD doesn't mean I know everything and have seen a thousand things during my career that I would have told you would probably never happen but they did.
My skates are on and thanks for the pep talk.

I’m just in one of those reflective moods today

FrogAbroad

Well-said, amigo. Keep on "thresholding" and keep on telling us about the process. It's a privilege to be even a small part of your life in this way.

Keep your stick on the ice!

Billy Clyde

Obviously you weren't intending to bring the funny, but I laughed out loud at "I told them I wouldn't read it but I lied."

We'll see you in Omaha, mister.

Brog

Well, wes, you started it, or I wouldn't think of this. Ogden Nash's poem:

People expect old men to die,
They do not really mourn old men.
Old men are different. People look
At them with eyes that wonder when.
People watch with unshocked eyes.
But the old men know when an old man dies.

As I get in the "old man" category, I think of this, and take some comfort in knowing that when I bite the dust, my "old men" friends will notice. And that helps a bit, at least.

Life can be an enigma fraught with trials and tribulations. Above all, it is a precious gift....enjoy every

golden minute of it. God Bless, Wes

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Well, wes, you started it, or I wouldn't think of this. Ogden Nash's poem:

People expect old men to die,
They do not really mourn old men.
Old men are different. People look
At them with eyes that wonder when.
People watch with unshocked eyes.
But the old men know when an old man dies.

As I get in the "old man" category, I think of this, and take some comfort in knowing that when I bite the dust, my "old men" friends will notice. And that helps a bit, at least.
Thats pretty good. I’m not ready to leave so please dont think I am laying groundwork for it. Like I said, I was in a reflective mood today but planning on crossing as many thresholds as I can. That 15.6 month figure is just one of them.

On June 11, my sons birthday, he would have been 39, I plan on doing as I always do on that day, thinking about him, his life and my next threshold. And, of course, heading to Omaha.