• The KillerFrogs

Thoughts on OU next week?

Virginia Frog

It’s probably a 40-60 game for us. I think a 4 point spread or so? Typical factors that spur upsets- turnovers, big plays- will need to tilt our way as I think they will likely have at least a modest LOS advantage on us. Basically a six day road turnaround for them since they had a late game could be a factor. Should be a packed house with family weekend and a top twenty OU playing here for one of the last times as a Big 12 member. Should be fun.
Hopefully we'll make OUT live out their "prison sentence" in the B12 with all us "lowly types" who contributed little to the strength of the conference (Ha, Ha.)

We'll get to play them twice more in '23-'24 and '24-'25 and in FW one more time each. I know some would like them to go on their merry way and pay up extra cash to leave early...but I'd like them to "suffer" the B12 member's wrath.

Last edited:

Horny4TCU

If the oline and dline come to play, we will do okay, maybe even win. If the oline isn't pissed about allowing smew to sack Max so many times, we lose. If the dline doesn't get pressure on the qb, we lose.

Frogs1983

Frogs best chance of a win against OU in several years IMO.OU QB is not elite College level talent like they've had past several years. Their D looks suspect as usual. Hopefully Duggan can replicate some of K. State's QB running success against OU. If our D doesn't get torched early like in past seasons, and Frogs are not having to climb out of a hole early, I think Frogs have a decent shot to win. Worse case, if they lose, hopefully they can at least make it close this season, instead of a 30 point beat down.

CountryFrog

From a pure statistical standpoint then OU and TCU are almost identical in points scored/allowed and yards gained/allowed. Obviously there is much more to evaluating a team than just those things and the stats don't mean [ Finebaum ] once the game starts so we'll see what happens Saturday. Of course TCU strength of schedule hasn't been great but it's not like OU has played a very tough schedule either. K-State is the only team with a pulse and they were coming off a terrible loss to Tulane where their offense did nothing.

Nick Danger

The big question appears to be "Is Dillon Gabriel a better, more effective passer than Tanner Mordecai?" If he is, things don't bode well for TCU come Saturday, because Mordecai was almost too much for TCU to overcome this past weekend. As Sonny said in his presser after the game, TCU "tried everything we could think of . . . falling back eight, or blitzing six" with only limited success.

But if he isn't, then TCU stands a decent chance of winning on Saturday!

Limey Frog

The big question appears to be "Is Dillon Gabriel a better, more effective passer than Tanner Mordecai?" If he is, things don't bode well for TCU come Saturday, because Mordecai was almost too much for TCU to overcome this past weekend. As Sonny said in his presser after the game, TCU "tried everything we could think of . . . falling back eight, or blitzing six" with only limited success.

Mordecai didn't have Marvin Mims to throw to, so Gabrielle probably needs to be quite a bit worse.

OU doesn't lose consecutive games very often, and they've had our number for years. But, it's a new regime for both programs, so you never know. I think it's a high-scoring game and they outlast us by about 10 points or so. But at least it's worth looking forward to; you can't just pencil in a thorough drubbing and hope that life gives you a good excuse not to bother watching at all.

CountryFrog

I certainly hope that's all the game comes down to because Gabriel is absolutely NOT as good of a passer as Mordecai.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The question is, how does our New and Improved Offensive Staff game plan? Are they better at it than the last bunch? (Admittedly, a low bar...) Will they have the moral courage to recognize that something they put in their plan isn't working, and stop doing it? Or, will they keep bashing their heads against the concrete? (If I ever see that WR screen again...)

Past the X and O matters, can we keep the poise and execution going for 4 quarters? Can we adopt a business-like attitude in Amon G. Carter against a Big Time Foe, and stick with it?

So, is the WR Screen the new SSO?