• The KillerFrogs

Thoughts on a rule change

bronco

In the Kansas State v UCLA game Kansas State scored a touchdown and UCLA was flagged for a horse collar in the end zone. I assume (was watching in a restaurant and didn't actually see) the penalty was assessed on the kick off meaning it was just easier for KSU to kick it out of the end zone. My thought is to give the choice of kicking off after assessing the penalty or foregoing the kickoff and simply placing the ball on the 10 yard line and the offending team starts from there. That would seem to be a significant penalty instead of the offending team getting the ball on the 25 after the kick off goes thru the end zone.

Brog

In the Kansas State v UCLA game Kansas State scored a touchdown and UCLA was flagged for a horse collar in the end zone. I assume (was watching in a restaurant and didn't actually see) the penalty was assessed on the kick off meaning it was just easier for KSU to kick it out of the end zone. My thought is to give the choice of kicking off after assessing the penalty or foregoing the kickoff and simply placing the ball on the 10 yard line and the offending team starts from there. That would seem to be a significant penalty instead of the offending team getting the ball on the 25 after the kick off goes thru the end zone.

I suspect it happens so infrequently they won't bother with any rule change.

ftwfrog

That’s #15 on my list of things I’d change in college football.

Probably not the right place for this post but my gawd the games are too long.

1- don’t stop the clock on every first down (only the last 5 minutes of half?)
2- don’t stop the clock every time a player goes out of bounds (only the last 5 minutes of a half?)
3- coaches need the right to challenge plays to avoid 15 reviews every game.

Fans were falling asleep at the Cotton a bowl. The game was boring as hell and it lasted darn near 4 hours. How has the NFL figured out how to finish games within 3.5 hours every time?

MAcFroggy

I actually think that is a pretty good rule change. Most kickers can kick the ball into and sometimes out of the endzone regardless if the ball is placed on the 35 or the 50. Giving the receiving team the ball on the 10 yard line or maybe 13 yard line (half the distance to the goal) would be safer and would be a much bigger penalty for excessive celebration, horse collar, face mask, etc on a scoring play.

bronco

I actually think that is a pretty good rule change. Most kickers can kick the ball into and sometimes out of the endzone regardless if the ball is placed on the 35 or the 50. Giving the receiving team the ball on the 10 yard line or maybe 13 yard line (half the distance to the goal) would be safer and would be a much bigger penalty for excessive celebration, horse collar, face mask, etc on a scoring play.
And save time as FTWFROG was saying (probably only a minute or two)

Wexahu

2- don’t stop the clock every time a player goes out of bounds (only the last 5 minutes of a half?)

Fans were falling asleep at the Cotton a bowl. The game was boring as hell and it lasted darn near 4 hours. How has the NFL figured out how to finish games within 3.5 hours every time?

I’d prefer games be shortened by other means besides basically keeping a running clock on everything but an incomplete pass. Shorter halftimes. Fewer TV breaks. Fewer replay reviews. Etc.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus

Reviews need to be limited in time. 45 seconds to change it or the call stands

Are you my dad? He said the exact thing.

GoFrog Yourself

tumblr_o9wrirESTe1tyc7rko3_500.gif

A little insight to your idea:
Replay monitors are automatically in a 2-3 second delay. Now, ESPN has gone to remote production as opposed to being produced at the site. This adds another 3-5 seconds to the time the RO has to look at a shot. If you said 90 seconds, I could agree with it.
And, with the number of teams trying to go to NASCAR offenses, sometimes, with the tv delays, there are a lot of shutdowns that turn out to be unnecessary due to the fact the RO just hasn’t had time to look at the catch/no catch, fumble/down by rule types of plays.
There isn’t an RO or Supervisor in any conference that wants to go longer than 90 seconds.
In addition, in an effort to be 100% correct, which is expected of RO’s, collaboration with somebody in a command center has shown to make a review take longer as now there are more people looking at it. It’s like it’s become a committee now has to be involved and we know what a poop show that can become.
With everybody watching on tv now thinking they are experts, there is more stress and pressure in the booth to “get it right” it has become a very difficult job. Getting a call right takes precedent on getting it done quickly!
Just my 2 cents.

MAcFroggy

As a casual viewer watching a random college football game, reviews are the absolute worst. They take so long and kill any semblance of momentum. I regularly change the channel when some random booth review takes place, and many times I never return to that game. It is just brutal at times.

College football really really needs to go to the NFL style of reviews. Auto review scores and turnovers and any additional reviews need to be challenged by coaches (limit of 2-3 per team).

tcumaniac

Don't think we'd have to worry about the defense that was just scored on excessively celebrating...then again, it wouldn't surprise me to see Baylor defenders excessively celebrating after being scored on because they had a cheap shot hit or something of the sort.

Limp Lizard

All the first-down time outs, out of bounds time outs and replays are nothing compared with commercial time-outs. All levels have a time out with out of bounds, so that would not fly. The time outs with a first down would save 5-10 minutes max and replay reviews account for 0-10 minutes per game. Commercial time outs account for a long, long amount of wasted time.

Purp

I hate long replay reviews too, but I'd rather the call be correct if a good enough camera angle exists. What irritates the piss out of me is that some calls don't get a chance to be reviewed b/c the offense snaps the ball so damned fast the replay can't even be shown once before it's too late. Then you finally see the replay and see that the ref darned up the call and nobody can do anything about it except witch and moan. I'd like to see that addressed.

Another pet peeve is the half the distance to the goal penalty for offenses. I think an offense has an advantage when inside the 10/20 b/c they can't be penalized the full amount of yards if they draw a flag for an infraction. I'd like to see either the full amount of yardage assessed and a safety awarded if the penalty yardage takes the ball into the end zone or the defense be penalized the max yardage the offense could have been penalized for the same infraction. In other words, if the ball is on the 16 and the LT holds a pass rusher I'd either want the ball to be placed at the 6 or a defensive hold to be penalized 8 yards (equal to half the distance to the goal). The same advantage exists for defenses backed up to their goal lines and i think it should be neutralized somehow.

helcap

I would point out that when a player with possession goes out of bounds, the clock starts again when the ref spots the ball and signals it in play. So your #2 would not save that much time. Only stops until next snap during the last two minutes of each half.