1. The KillerFrogs

Thomas Paine Nailed It......

Discussion in 'Scott & Wes Frog Fan Forum' started by Pure Purple, Mar 18, 2020.

1. "These are the times that try men's souls"

Coronavirus Plague, Stock Market Implosion, Russian-Saudi Oil Impasse, Imposed Public Lockdowns......

What's Next?

2. He was just making a play on words from an old SI article about official timekeepers at the Olympics, called “These are the souls that time men’s tries.”

3. when you consider some prior periods of time experienced on earth this really isn't that bad.

please let me know when it looks like this

[​IMG]

Land Frog, BrewingFrog, HG73 and 3 others like this.
  4. ^——boo this man

AroundWorldFrog and Eight like this.
  5. [​IMG]

6. Some are old enough to remember 1942 in the good old USA. And the next two years. Just over 405,000 US died in the war, mostly young men. But dammit, the Masters golf tournament has been cancelled, and the NBA won't put out a bracket. Oh, the humanity!

YA, dawg, tetonfrog and 2 others like this.
  7. Yes, as Sir Laurence Olivier narrated in the excellent BBC series, World at War, the period of 1942-44 was deep war with many battles in the air & sea in Europe and on many islands in the Pacific. Utter defeat was beaten away but there was no impending Victory, it was truly a grinding series of bloody battles, sacrifice & suffering.

YA and Frog DJ like this.
  8. Those of us born after WWII have no earthly idea what that generation endured...

Go Frogs!

ShadowFrog and Eight like this.
  9. [​IMG]

Land Frog and Eight like this.
  10. Your best work to date.

11. 110% thought this was tcudoc. I was so confident that I did a double take when I saw tcudoc's post. Well played.

Purp likes this.
  12. Some WW II memories are indelible....As an eight year old, sitting in front of our family fireplace and hearing the

flash radio announcement that the Japanese had attack Pearl Harbor.

Boomhauer and ShadowFrog like this.
  13. [​IMG]

ftwfrog, HG73 and satis1103 like this.
  14. Saint Jerome said it better when he wrote “Avoid, as you would the plague"

Chongo94 and Eight like this.
  15. Here's a TCU graduate, BS, 1941.
    Murray Charlton McKinney

HOME OF RECORD:
    Sulphur Springs, Texas

AWARDS BY DATE OF ACTION: 1 of 1
    [​IMG]
    Distinguished Flying Cross
    AWARDED FOR ACTIONS
    DURING World War II
    Service: Navy
    GENERAL ORDERS:

Bureau of Naval Personnel Information Bulletin No. 325 (April 1944)

CITATION:
    The President of the United States of America takes pride in presenting the Distinguished Flying Cross (Posthumously) to Lieutenant, Junior Grade Murray Charlton McKinney (NSN: 0-114265), United States Navy, for extraordinary achievement while participating in aerial flight during action against Japanese forces off Kahili, 7 July 1943. Lieutenant, Junior Grade, McKinney scored a direct hit with a 2,000-pound bomb and probably sank a Japanese destroyer. Although an enemy plane subsequently killed his turret gunner and shot away his radio and controls, he flew 300 miles to his home base and crash landed in the sea. McKinney was a 1941 graduate of Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, Texas.

SEE

BrewingFrog, YA and Eight like this.
  16. It’s kinda weird to downplay a massive pandemic with unthinkable economic implications (not to mention the hundreds of thousands/millions that will die globally), but consider that Americans in their 20s/30s/40s have lived in a country that has been at war for virtually their entire lives and is now undergoing a 2nd worldwide financial crisis in the span of decade where they should be either starting their careers, accumulating personal wealth, or beginning to prepare for retirement.

Now back to the Good Ol Days Syndrome Theater!

17. Trying to figure out who is trying to "downplay" this massive pandemic.

18. The Apocalypse....

19. I was super jealous. It was something LIKE what I would do, but much better.

20. Well, I hate getting this much credit for something I didn’t do. That was really, truly a story in SI. I remember the title from when I had a subscription in my early teens, though I think it was just a reference to the story, which was written many years earlier. The play on words has just stuck in my head for 30+ years.

Don’t be confused into thinking you’re back to being worthy, however.

tcudoc likes this.