• The KillerFrogs

This team is SO CLOSE

Spike

I’m sure I’ll take some heat for this but I think we are closer to missing a bowl game than we are knocking off OU, if I had to choose one extreme or another based on the caliber of play the last 2 weeks.

I believe in GP but I think we look like a 6 or 7 win team currently.

Can we get you to sing the NA the next few games? Statistically across multiple sports that seems to be a big plus for us.

LVH

And Tech. I refuse to believe they are better than we are. Teams that play 45-35 type games are usually considered “better” than teams that play 17-10 type games and I’m not sure why.

Been saying this for years

Everyone was talking about how great that Alamo Bowl was between Baylor and Washington, yet I can't stand games like that, where neither team is playing a lick of defense. Watching Tech and Houston a couple weeks ago was disgusting.

Low scoring games can be just as entertaining as high scoring games as long as its good defensive play instead of the offenses simply derping it up. Michigan State-Iowa in the Big 10 champ game in 2015 was one of the best games of the decade and the final was 14-13.

TX_Krötenechse

Defense is damn good
Offense is mediocre as hell

I’m not sure where the offense is that showed up against OSU.

This team is a 6 or 7 on a scale of 1-10 for Gary Patterson teams.
I’m not sure I would agree that the defense is damn good. We have more or less average line play, below average linebackers, above average corners, one superstar safety and two average safeties

We haven’t been able to get any consistent pressure on anyone without bringing a blitz, we aren’t tackling well, and we have big holes in coverage that good quarterbacks can exploit.

I’m probably being too hard on them because I’m comparing them to other GP defenses, but still, all in all I’ve been a little disappointed in the defense.

robbroyy

I’m not sure I would agree that the defense is damn good. We have more or less average line play, below average linebackers, above average corners, one superstar safety and two average safeties

We haven’t been able to get any consistent pressure on anyone without bringing a blitz, we aren’t tackling well, and we have big holes in coverage that good quarterbacks can exploit.

I’m probably being too hard on them because I’m comparing them to other GP defenses, but still, all in all I’ve been a little disappointed in the defense.
Ty Summers is below average to you? That tells us all we need to know about your scouting prowess.

LVH

Our defense statistically is #13 in the country and that was before today's game where we gave up less than 200 yards.

Our defense has never been ranked worse than #27 nationally under Patterson since 2005 and has been in the Top 20 each year but 2.

Defense is not the problem. But defenses feed on offenses. When the offense is doing its part the defense is fired up and plays loose. When the offense isn't doing anything more pressure is put on the defense and the defense can only hold up for so long. Our 2013 defense ranked 15th nationally which is pretty damn good considering how bad our offense was that year and made it even harder for them.

TX_Krötenechse

Ty Summers is below average to you? That tells us all we need to know about your scouting prowess.
Ty Summers has played one full game at linebacker this season, and he isn’t as good there this season as he was last season, probably because he’s had to switch back and forth to DE in practice. As for our other LBs, I’d say they’re below average. Wallow is the best, and he will be a great LB one day, but right now he just isn’t making tackles consistently when he makes contact with ball carriers.

Wexahu

We are still more fundamentally sound than most defenses out there.....by a fairly wide margin IMO. Sometimes I watch games and it seems like the teams don't even care about defense and that they're more interested in just getting the ball back.

Last edited:

TX_Krötenechse

We are still more fundamentally sound than most defenses out there.....by a fairly wide margin IMO. Sometimes I watch games and it seems like the teams don't care even care about defense and that they're more interested in just getting the ball back.
That’s fair. Like i said it is unfair because I’m comparing them to other GP defenses rather than the whole FBS

I love our defense. Our offense? Not so much.

Yeah our defense that people bounce off and get 5 yards? Y'all need to wake up.
I thought the same things until yesterday. I thought we got some bad breaks and dumb plays against aOSU and clearly we gave the game away against Texas. But after yesterday I saw our ridiculous play calls on offense. Refusing to throw down the field. Looking awful in the red zone. And our continued bad tackling on defense. 3rd and 25 are you scheissing kidding me??

Ron Swanson

Yeah our defense that people bounce off and get 5 yards? Y'all need to wake up.
I thought the same things until yesterday. I thought we got some bad breaks and dumb plays against aOSU and clearly we gave the game away against Texas. But after yesterday I saw our ridiculous play calls on offense. Refusing to throw down the field. Looking awful in the red zone. And our continued bad tackling on defense. 3rd and 25 are you scheissing kidding me??
If it weren’t for that ridiculous 30 yard quarterback scramble on third and 25 on that play, Iowa State would have had about 165 yards of total offense.

So you have an issue with a defense that scores 7 points themselves, only gives up 7 points (on a 20 yard field, mind you, because the offense turned the ball over deep in our own territory) and holds the opposing offense to under 200 yards?