• The KillerFrogs

This is not a Top 25 baseball team....

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
A little disappointing, but first year coach results to be expected.

No dominant pitching

No true power hitters or home run threats to speak of.....

Inconsistent pitching and hitting.

A relatively low scoring team, they're going to learn a lot about themselves vs Texas, OSU, and TT.
WV was a better team up and down the lineup

They need to get mean.
They seem to nice and timid. Kinda like dating the coaches daughter mentality rather than kicking some ass

FrogBall09

No dominant pitching

A relatively low scoring team, they're going to learn a lot about themselves vs Texas, OSU, and TT.

They need to get mean.
They seem to nice and timid. Kinda like dating the coaches daughter mentality rather than kicking some ass
How does a guy who has been here for almost a decade and responsible for our recruiting and our pitching that entire time get a first year pass?

Especially when he kept the other guy that has been here that long and owns the other side of the ball?

Sorry - I love Loos but he gets zero “new guy” break for this year

Dman890

I know it’s year
How does a guy who has been here for almost a decade and responsible for our recruiting and our pitching that entire time get a first year pass?

Especially when he kept the other guy that has been here that long and owns the other side of the ball?

Sorry - I love Loos but he gets zero “new guy” break for this year
Agreed with this, and the “too nice” personality of the team starts with him

Pharm Frog

I guess we needed another thread on this topic but since the contention is made that TCU is not a Top 25 ball club, I’m wondering which 25 teams are based on the body of work this season to date. And would further be interested in knowing how much college baseball the OP has watched from coast-to-coast to support that contention. While it is beyond debate that TCU did not play good baseball this week, I wonder which 25 D1 baseball teams have dominant pitching, true power hitters who would be so playing more than half their games in Lupton Stadium, and have yet to display inconsistent pitching and hitting. Seems like a description of college baseball.

As for a relatively low scoring team…I guess that’s debatable based on what you want to relate it to. As of today, TCU has the 61st scoring offense in D1 at 7.3 runs per game with another 17 teams within .2 runs per game. No matter, TCU has a better scoring offense to date than Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Baylor, OU, DBU, Florida State, and of course, Kansas. Might I add that TCU is 45th in runs scored with only Texas and Texas Tech ahead of them in the Big 12 (which was completely expected).

What IS concerning to me is that the ERA and WHIP are both in the 80’s in ranking and that cannot happen with three pitching coaches on the staff and when pitching is supposed to be the core of your club. Where I totally agree with 09 is that this is not a “first-year” excusable or expected situation. The school chose “continuity” which I disagreed with at the time and still do. There is no “pass” for performance on offense, pitching, or defense. I can see little evidence of improving the lineup over last year and not sure we should expect different results as I believe last year’s team somewhat over-achieved. Finally, while less definitive than the OP, I also don’t think this is a Top 25 ball team but I can’t say that with certainty as I’ve seen a lot of baseball and every team I’ve seen has holes in it.

I do wonder if Byrne had held on to the ball in the 9th inning of Friday night‘s game and we take that series 2-1 if people would still have hold the same opinions. My opinion has not changed. Good but not great ball team.

McFroggin

No dominant pitching

They need to get mean.
The whole purpose of Loos was to maintain and GROW upon the success we had. Our primary coaches are unchanged.

No pass granted. He needs to turn it around quick or he will have a brief tenure here.

hometown frog

I continue to be worried about our pitching out of the pen. During the Schloss departure, I’d somehow convinced myself that some of those consistent issues were attributed to a different strategy between Schloss and KS and that would get better this year w Kirk making those pitching change calls. I believe the WHIP and ERA stats this year show that wasn’t it. It’s hard win games when you expect your pen to give up so many hits and walks every outing.

I’d feel a ton better about this club (assuming we expect Krob and maybe Pietrie back before May) IF we had 2-3 arms out of the pen we knew we could ride hard if we needed it. But without those couple of dudes sitting out there waiting on the phone to ring, I just don’t see it with this group.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I guess we needed another thread on this topic but since the contention is made that TCU is not a Top 25 ball club, I’m wondering which 25 teams are based on the body of work this season to date. And would further be interested in knowing how much college baseball the OP has watched from coast-to-coast to support that contention. While it is beyond debate that TCU did not play good baseball this week, I wonder which 25 D1 baseball teams have dominant pitching, true power hitters who would be so playing more than half their games in Lupton Stadium, and have yet to display inconsistent pitching and hitting. Seems like a description of college baseball.

As for a relatively low scoring team…I guess that’s debatable based on what you want to relate it to. As of today, TCU has the 61st scoring offense in D1 at 7.3 runs per game with another 17 teams within .2 runs per game. No matter, TCU has a better scoring offense to date than Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Baylor, OU, DBU, Florida State, and of course, Kansas. Might I add that TCU is 45th in runs scored with only Texas and Texas Tech ahead of them in the Big 12 (which was completely expected).

What IS concerning to me is that the ERA and WHIP are both in the 80’s in ranking and that cannot happen with three pitching coaches on the staff and when pitching is supposed to be the core of your club. Where I totally agree with 09 is that this is not a “first-year” excusable or expected situation. The school chose “continuity” which I disagreed with at the time and still do. There is no “pass” for performance on offense, pitching, or defense. I can see little evidence of improving the lineup over last year and not sure we should expect different results as I believe last year’s team somewhat over-achieved. Finally, while less definitive than the OP, I also don’t think this is a Top 25 ball team but I can’t say that with certainty as I’ve seen a lot of baseball and every team I’ve seen has holes in it.

I do wonder if Byrne had held on to the ball in the 9th inning of Friday night‘s game and we take that series 2-1 if people would still have hold the same opinions. My opinion has not changed. Good but not great ball team.
There's a lot of damning truth here. The pitching especially. While I didn't expect suddenly masterful performances out of each and every guy, I expected some incremental improvement. We haven't really seen that.

Baseball is a funny game. We might wake up, yet...

LisaLT

The pitching is erratic. I really don’t know how we will do against UT, Tech or OSU. I guess that is the game of baseball.

MadFrog

I am surprised by two things.

First, too many players on this team cannot hit. That includes the entire bench and 2 or 3 in the regular lineup. They simply can't hit. They are automatic outs. How did that many bad hitters make it on a TCU roster? Poor recruiting? It is disappointing that our famous hitting coach has not improved this situation.

The second thing is so many of the pitchers come into a game scared to death. They are so nervous they can't throw strikes. This really shows in the first inning. We start out behind because we cannot throw strikes. How did that many unconfident pitchers make it on a TCU roster? Poor recruiting? It is disappointing that our head coach/pitching coach has not improved this situation.

Given our schedule, I don't think the rest of the season is going to be much fun. I hope I am wrong, but which players on this team are going to change?

Paint It Purple

I am surprised by two things.

First, too many players on this team cannot hit. That includes the entire bench and 2 or 3 in the regular lineup. They simply can't hit. They are automatic outs. How did that many bad hitters make it on a TCU roster? Poor recruiting? It is disappointing that our famous hitting coach has not improved this situation.

The second thing is so many of the pitchers come into a game scared to death. They are so nervous they can't throw strikes. This really shows in the first inning. We start out behind because we cannot throw strikes. How did that many unconfident pitchers make it on a TCU roster? Poor recruiting? It is disappointing that our head coach/pitching coach has not improved this situation.

Given our schedule, I don't think the rest of the season is going to be much fun. I hope I am wrong, but which players on this team are going to change?
Perhaps you are giving the remaining opponents a bit too much credit. Don't be scared

Paint It Purple

Ah, I see it is overreaction season and the flowers are in full bloom. My favorite time of the year that happens three times a year minimum.
An old neighbor of mine was a baseball nut. Loved the game and could quote chapter and verse of every minute bit of baseball history. Despite this, he'd never really played baseball, and one thing he could never understand is how can his team crank out 15 hits and 10 runs one day, and the next can't buy a hit. All against the same team. I tried explaining, but old Ernie just didn't get it.

Ernie lives on at KF.c

SuperTFrog

We are ranked #23 in D1 baseball. So we are a top #25 team right now. Whether we will end as one is debatable. Whether we played like one this past week is not debatable. This is a long season and sports are hard.

For much of the year North Carolina looked like a bubble team and I have no doubt their fans were disgruntled and wanted to get rid of their first year coach. Then they made a deep run and I’m sure he’ll get a massive extension. Same with TCU basketball. Half of our fans were ready to fire Dixon 3/4 of the way through the season and then things turned on a dime and we had the most successful season arguably ever with the number of top 25 wins we had and a tourney win.