• The KillerFrogs

Things I Miss

Brog

Talking about football at Farrington Field makes me remember Luther Scarborough. He lettered for the Frogs in 1925/6, no I wasn't around then, but I knew him later on. He was coach for Poly High school here in the 1930's, and is portrayed falsely as the villain opponent to Rusty Russell's Masonic Home team in a recent movie. He is best remembered for an episode at a Poly game at Farrington Field. His team was given a 15 yard penalty for something he disagreed with, so after the referee marched off the 15 yards and placed the ball, Luther went out on the field, picked up the ball, and marched it 15 yards back to its original position. After which the referee picked up the ball again, marched off the original 15 yard penalty and then added another 15 to it. No more protest from Luther. He later became Principal at Handley Junior High (Middle School now), and stayed in that position for 25 years. Been gone now for about 15 years. Lots of good stories out of Farrington Field.

Mean Purple

I just turned 63 last month. I miss certain things that have retired or just gone away. In no particular order:

Roger Staubach
Bob Lilly
Monday Night Football with Howard and Dandy Don
The Houston Oilers
Mike Renfro versus the Steelers
Namath
My 67 Ford Fairlane with the 390 engine
My Kraco 8 track in my Fairlane
The Byron Nelson at Preston Trail
Nolan Ryan and Charlie Huff
My Dads laugh
Moms fried chicken
Merry Go Round Hamburgers
The Stables
Working at McDonalds with my two best friends
University Christian Church - Still there but just too far for me
TCU Intramural football games
Black and White cartoons on Saturday mornings
Real Dr Pepper
Blackie Sherrod
Real Sports Magazines
The AFL
The Southwest Conference
Making fun of the drunk Razorback fans
Olympics without the Pros
The CHL in Dallas and Fort Worth
The Fat Stock Show with the live band
The Dallas Cowboy Band
Tom Landry
The smell of Milton Daniel - not really
Colby beach
Speak Easy
The Vigilantes and the TCU cannon at the Cotton Bowl
Studying in a corner of the TCU Library
Spring Break
Monday Night SCUBA classes in the Rickle Building
Wes and Scott
Shooter
Whitewolf
Drive In Movies in my Ford Fairlane

I‘m sure everyone else has a similar list and it is impossible to list those things we enjoyed in our lives that have slip to the back corners of our minds.
I was there the year they went from the live band for the rodeo to the mess they have now. Still hate the new music program.

Frogs1983

I had something witty, but it was stolen by The Hamburglar...
Think Micky D's permanently "retired"
80s mcdonalds GIF
The Hamburgler, not P.C. enough!

FrogAbroad

You had to try this thing. I don’t like mayonnaise. I don’t like adding sweet condiments of any sort witch protein. But the balance was just right on this one particular hamburger at ol’ Jon’s.
A simple Thousand Island dressing can be made from mayo, ketchup and pickle relish. If you put those, separately, on a burger it's about the same as T'Island, or store-bought "sandwich spread." No, not exactly...I did say "about the same."

Oh...another thought. When I was a kid, a whole bunch of years ago, my dad introduced me to Durkee Famous Sauce. Sort of a blend of mayo and mustard and horseradish...oh, lordy, it's goood! Burgers, sammiches, deviled eggs...'most anything but a Hershey bar...makes a cold roast beef sammich sit up and sing...

fc8d4c63-06b3-4003-abdf-b9d71f475c2a.a162e5482fe39846ea046aa7f831f8fe.jpeg

Last edited: