• The KillerFrogs

Things I Miss

Showtime Joe 2.0

William Marsh was the TCU professor....
Marsh was also a member and the choirmaster at St. Patrick Cathedral in downtown Fort Worth, where his funeral Mass was held in 1971. As a longtime member of St. Pat's myself, we parishioners are very proud of the fact that he composed "Texas, Our Texas," which was hailed by John Philip Sousa as the finest state song that he'd ever heard. Coming from Sousa, that's high praise indeed!

Marsh was also a member and the choirmaster at St. Patrick Cathedral in downtown Fort Worth, where his funeral Mass was held in 1971. As a longtime member of St. Pat's myself, we parishioners are very proud of the fact that he composed "Texas, Our Texas," which was hailed by John Philip Sousa as the finest state song that he'd ever heard. Coming from Sousa, that's high praise indeed!
Marsh was important but Brown is the bigger Star. The Brownies were far bigger that Bob Wills and The Texas Playboys/ Lightcrust Doughboys when Brown died. Wills and and the Brown brothers were in bands all the way back to when Milton was in high school at Arlington Heights. I think Wills and Brown both lived very close to the Orginal further west on Camp Bowie when they started.

Froginbedford

Miss being able to go on the field after the football games, that was great as a kid and legal. Miss the old fight song. Miss the ramps in the old stadium. Miss West Side Stories, Daily Double, Spencer's Palace, Wedgwood Bowl, TCU Theater.

The old fight song? Other than the fanfare, I don't recall anything has changed over my years of cognizance, beginning in 1956....

PurplFrawg

Administrator
The old fight song? Other than the fanfare, I don't recall anything has changed over my years of cognizance, beginning in 1956....
It has. The original is basically part of the "TCU March" by Sammis and Guenther. At some point after Prof J's time, one of the band directors wanted an 8 bar intro instead of the 16 bar intro that was being used. So he got Curt to write a new intro...which ballooned into a total arrangement. In my opinion, Dr Guenther was a much better arranger for large musical groups than Curt was, and it shows in this piece. Curt's forte was jazz bands and small groups.

WIN

Da da da dada da da, da da da da da dada, da da dada da da dada da da da dada da, da da dada da da da dada!
Best I can do and have not heard it in years.
This was a tradition and it no longer is played.

Brog

Da da da dada da da, da da da da da dada, da da dada da da dada da da da dada da, da da dada da da da dada!
Best I can do and have not heard it in years.
This was a tradition and it no longer is played.
The third "da" should be a"dada' and the fourth "dada" should be a "da". Don't mean to be nick picking.

Brog

That bacon cheeseburger with thousand islands secret sauce at Jon’s would beat anything at Dutch’s by a country mile. I do love all the TCU stuff on the walls, tho.
Sorry, Tyler, as one who is old enough to have sampled both, Dutch's bacon blue cheese burger comes in No. 1 by a mile.

ftwfrog

Sorry, Tyler, as one who is old enough to have sampled both, Dutch's bacon blue cheese burger comes in No. 1 by a mile.
That bacon cheeseburger with thousand islands secret sauce at Jon’s would beat anything at Dutch’s by a country mile. I do love all the TCU stuff on the walls, tho.
Not to derail the thread but I base a burger off the meat and bun. Hell, anything tastes good when you add bacon & cheese. You ever had brocolli with bacon & cheese? Not bad. And if you’re putting an egg, goat cheese, raspberry chipotle sauce or some other dumb [ Finebaum ] on there, I invite you to go somewhere else for your sports talk.

Dutch’s > Jon’s

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
Not to derail the thread but I base a burger off the meat and bun. Hell, anything tastes good when you add bacon & cheese. You ever had brocolli with bacon & cheese? Not bad. And if you’re putting an egg, goat cheese, raspberry chipotle sauce or some other dumb [ #2020 ] on there, I invite you to go somewhere else for your sports talk.

Dutch’s > Jon’s
That one is good, too. That bread at Dutch’s is just a little too close to sweet for me.