• The KillerFrogs

Things I Miss

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I just turned 63 last month. I miss certain things that have retired or just gone away. In no particular order:

Roger Staubach
Bob Lilly
Monday Night Football with Howard and Dandy Don
The Houston Oilers
Mike Renfro versus the Steelers
Namath
My 67 Ford Fairlane with the 390 engine
My Kraco 8 track in my Fairlane
The Byron Nelson at Preston Trail
Nolan Ryan and Charlie Huff
My Dads laugh
Moms fried chicken
Merry Go Round Hamburgers
The Stables
Working at McDonalds with my two best friends
University Christian Church - Still there but just too far for me
TCU Intramural football games
Black and White cartoons on Saturday mornings
Real Dr Pepper
Blackie Sherrod
Real Sports Magazines
The AFL
The Southwest Conference
Making fun of the drunk Razorback fans
Olympics without the Pros
The CHL in Dallas and Fort Worth
The Fat Stock Show with the live band
The Dallas Cowboy Band
Tom Landry
The smell of Milton Daniel - not really
Colby beach
Speak Easy
The Vigilantes and the TCU cannon at the Cotton Bowl
Studying in a corner of the TCU Library
Spring Break
Monday Night SCUBA classes in the Rickle Building
Wes and Scott
Shooter
Whitewolf
Drive In Movies in my Ford Fairlane

I‘m sure everyone else has a similar list and it is impossible to list those things we enjoyed in our lives that have slip to the back corners of our minds.
Fully concur (Class of ‘81)
Here, save/keep this:

MadFrog

Colonial Cafeteria, Kips Big Boy Hot Fudge Sundaes, paying half price for meal tickets from the sorority girls watching their weight, Killer's teams, Billy's teams, 7th Street movie theaters, Kincaids, Public School Gym's holiday basketball tourney, Z Boaz sundown golf, RD Evans Rec Center, Italian Inn, old Eidelweiss restaurant, my old Cutlass Supreme, Mickey McCarty and on and on and on...

PurplFrawg

Administrator
In those days TCU OWNED the Miss Texas Pageant. Yr after yr the Frogs were the prettiest girls in the state and produced so many celebrities' -one or two that became Broadway's biggest.
My understanding was that TCU had an agreement with the Miss Texas pageant that they would provide a scholarship for the woman who won the contest every year. Campus was close to the airport(s) so she could fly out to engagements, etc. I know Phyllis George went to NTSU and had to transfer to TCU when she won. This, from Wiki:

"George was born to Diantha Louise George (née Cogdell) (1919-2003) and James Robert George (1918-1996) in Denton, Texas. She attended North Texas State University (now University of North Texas) for three years until she was crowned Miss Texas in 1970. At that time, Texas Christian University awarded scholarships to Miss Texas honorees. As a result, George left North Texas and enrolled at TCU until winning the Miss America crown later that fall. She was a member of the Zeta Tau Alpha sorority."

Prof Jacobsen had a small pep band out to meet her plane when she arrived at Meacham Field after one of her trips. It was cold and wet. She got off the plane and walked past us like we weren't even there, or worth noticing. I will always remember her for that.

Frogs1983

Jeez, people! No fondness for the Texas Sampler, and the delicious Chili and Eggs? Breakfast of Champions, man!

A second for JJ's Hideaway. And JJ's Whatever up by Montgomery Ward with the unforgettable phone number: 870-BEER.

$1 Pitcher night at White Elephant.

Whatever the Sports Bar was that took over the spot where The Keg used to be, and had the delicious Habanero-Ranch to dip fries in.

The SuSu Lounge ("Fort Worth's Darkest Bar").

A Whammy at the old Louie's Backyard on SPI...
$1 Pitcher night at White Elephant- Those were the real deal tall Pitchers too, not like you get at most places now. If I remember right(lost many brain cells there, lol) was on Wednesday nights?

NewFrogFan

Sprint Darted off this mortal coil about 4 years ago

Edit: adding the thread for those who may have missed.

It appears I am finally to the age that when I ask about people I rarely if ever met in person, the answer is almost always the same.

NewFrogFan

Goff's...and the loveliest Zetas, Tri Delts, etc. A girl named Sue Funk (real name) she was so beautiful every guy on campus just knew she had a date and didn't ask her out, so cute Sue sat in her dorm room lonely. KTCU and its 10 or 20 watt transmitter in the basement at .. hall. In those days TCU OWNED the Miss Texas Pageant. Yr after yr the Frogs were the prettiest girls in the state and produced so many celebrities' -one or two that became Broadway's biggest. Finest stars ever whose name will always be remembered. Bob Lilly lifting a Volkswagen and putting it on the side walk. Playing golf on worth hills and later getting two cafeteria trays and sledding the snow on worth hills of March 10th.

Since you mention some sorority types, are there still any real oldtimers that would remember a cute (really cute) blond from Waxahachie (I think), was a TCU cheerleader, named Jenny Young? Her father, IH, was my fathers Wing Commander in the USAF. Jenny should be 70 or so now. Her dad flew Gibsons store corp airplane after he retired. His nickname was Itch, wrote a book about his career, The Itch To Fly. We were able to gather Itch and Sally up for one more TCU event when ol #87 had his Senior banquet in 2005. Itch and my father were best of friends their entire lives. Back then those football banquets were a big deal, I’m sure much larger now. They were so excited, Itch in a wheel chair and on O2 but he would not be denied. They both passed not long after.

Toad Jones

My understanding was that TCU had an agreement with the Miss Texas pageant that they would provide a scholarship for the woman who won the contest every year. Campus was close to the airport(s) so she could fly out to engagements, etc. I know Phyllis George went to NTSU and had to transfer to TCU when she won. This, from Wiki:

"George was born to Diantha Louise George (née Cogdell) (1919-2003) and James Robert George (1918-1996) in Denton, Texas. She attended North Texas State University (now University of North Texas) for three years until she was crowned Miss Texas in 1970. At that time, Texas Christian University awarded scholarships to Miss Texas honorees. As a result, George left North Texas and enrolled at TCU until winning the Miss America crown later that fall. She was a member of the Zeta Tau Alpha sorority."

Prof Jacobsen had a small pep band out to meet her plane when she arrived at Meacham Field after one of her trips. It was cold and wet. She got off the plane and walked past us like we weren't even there, or worth noticing. I will always remember her for that.
Dear Lord... Good ol "Prof". Never heard a single negative of him. The TCU Band has never been as good as those 120 members who marched on the field or in a parade when he John and John G were running the dept. That bunched practiced and practiced until they had the half time show down. If you guys think its easy counting steps, keeping an eye on the yard market, keep the lines straight and not running into the guy next to you, let me invite you to experience yourself how difficult it was. And to top things off, the intricate formations Prof came up with. Todays A&M band comes close but still lack in complexities of Jim's band. We went to Tex on Sat, arrived around 10:15 am unloaded off the buses, stretched a bit and started to go over the program. Those ego laden UT fans made fun of us b/c we were not UT and its 197 member band and could hardly be heard. Jim blew his whistle, gather everyone around and said only half of you guys play, the other half act like you are playing. They want bad, we'll give'm bad. Did we ever get hoots and ribbing. Quietly w/o saying a word to one another, we vowed that day to blow like we've never blown before. We'll show them by God.
I was the voice of the Show Window of TCU so I shared the booth with Kern Tipps and when our bunch came on the field, you could have heard us in Dallas. The show was perfect, not one miss step. Timing was there and a big standing ovation from Austin as well at the end. Kern turned to me and said, "TCU's band is a great show, very entertaining. He meant it too!

Last edited:

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Dear Lord... Good ol "Prof". Never heard a single negative of him. The TCU Band has never been as good as those 120 members who marched on the field or in a parade when he John and John G were running the dept. That bunched practiced and practiced until they had the half time show down. If you guys think its easy counting steps, keeping an eye on the yard market, keep the lines straight and not running into the guy next to you, let me invite you to experience yourself how difficult it was. And to top things off, the intricate formations Prof came up with. Todays A&M band comes close but still lack in complexities of Jim's band. We went to Tex on Sat, arrived around 10:15 am unloaded off the buses, stretched a bit and started to go over the program. Those ego laden UT fans made fun of us b/c we were not UT and its 197 member band and could hardly be heard. Jim blew his whistle, gather everyone around and said only half of you guys play, the other half act like you are playing. They want bad, we'll give'm bad. Did we ever get hoots and ribbing. Quietly w/o saying a word to one another, we vowed that day to blow like we've never blown before. We'll show them by God.
I was the voice of the Show Window of TCU so I shared the booth with Kern Tipps and when our bunch came on the field, you could have heard us in Dallas. The show was perfect, not one miss step. Timing was there and a big standing ovation from Austin as well at the end. Kern turned to me and said, "TCU's band is a great show, very entertaining. He meant it too!
Little known fact, but Lindy Berry was Prof's brother-in-law. Mrs. J and Lindy were brother and sister.

Toad Jones

Where Fuzzy’s is now? The Packing House?
No, head north on Univ turn right on 8th toward town. Right there on the corner. Mom and Dad always stayed there. There is one with the same name in Denton . Something ...... House. Across the street north of Farrington Field was a strip of old buildings. On the west corner was a building about 20 feet wide, it was a popular radio station in Ft.. Call letters have left me for now but give me time to remember b/c I said them enough times'. Want to say KGEL. No that's not it either. With the doors closed to the studio, you could hear one of the black bands playing football at Farrington. They were sooo much fun to watch, No group of people could out prance them on the field. They were so good!! Those kids were so proud of their band. And their football team. The center used to stand up before snapping the ball , shout and point to a position player on the opposite team, We're coming right at you, did you hear me!? Just try and stop us. The other team usually did but he kept telling them anyway.

FrogAbroad

Kern Tips...to me, he was Mister Southwest Conference Football. IMO, no one before or since could rival his play-by-play. If he had read the Fort Worth Yellow Pages it would have been great entertainment.