• The KillerFrogs

The Washington Post: Josh Doctson is building trust and turning heads at Redskins training camp

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

UNKDJXHR3I4WRHK3R5PWYVKAMY.jpg

The Washington Post: Josh Doctson is building trust and turning heads at Redskins training camp

By Rick Snider

On the first day of Redskins training camp last week, Josh Doctson was running straight ahead and still one stride away from breaking inside when quarterback Alex Smith released the pass into a void. Doctson appeared in the empty space to grab the ball for a first down.

That play never happened last year.

Kirk Cousins didn’t always trust Doctson — or most receivers — enough to throw them open. Cousins, who is in Vikings training camp now, was reluctant to risk interceptions, especially while he was playing for a new contract. Anything that wasn’t a high-percentage throw was rarely tried.

In his first few practices in Richmond, Smith has often given his receivers a chance to make plays. And when there have been breakdowns, he’s sought them out after drills to discuss any miscommunication. That makes a big difference, Doctson said.

Read more at https://www.washingtonpost.com/expr...edskins-training-camp/?utm_term=.d191b822c038

CountryFrog

Definitely got that impression from the games I watched last year.
I agree. To a certain degree I can even understand it. Doctson isn't the type of player who is typically going to get huge separation from DBs down the field. His strength is playing the ball in the air and making tough contested catches. That requires huge trust from your QB. Boykin definitely had that trust and was rewarded for it every week. It's no doubt tougher for a guy who's playing for his job to have that same trust in a very young and unproven player.

Ultimately I think it's one of the reasons Washington chose to move on from Cousins. If you're putting a guy like Doctson on the field as your #1 receiver then you need your QB to give him some chances. I'm sure Gruden probably told Cousins to do that many times but it never came out in the game.

MTfrog5

I agree. To a certain degree I can even understand it. Doctson isn't the type of player who is typically going to get huge separation from DBs down the field. His strength is playing the ball in the air and making tough contested catches. That requires huge trust from your QB. Boykin definitely had that trust and was rewarded for it every week. It's no doubt tougher for a guy who's playing for his job to have that same trust in a very young and unproven player.

Ultimately I think it's one of the reasons Washington chose to move on from Cousins. If you're putting a guy like Doctson on the field as your #1 receiver then you need your QB to give him some chances. I'm sure Gruden probably told Cousins to do that many times but it never came out in the game.
Agree with you to a point. There was a game early last year that he had 3 targets and was rated at an A. Whoever did the article said he was open numerous times and Cousins never looked at him. I think he’s going to have a solid year this year.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
There is so much craziness going on with the management of that team. It's a wonder they can field enough players, considering...