• The KillerFrogs

The Washington Post: In a 12-team playoff, will anyone care who wins a conference title?

froginmn

As it stands now #9-12 are Clemson, K-State, Utah and Washington.

People will disagree I'm sure, but when I look at those resumes, I don't see any teams deserving to be in a playoff. What has Clemson done? The better programs only play about 5-6 losable games each year (and some teams really only pay 2-3), we're getting to the point where you'll just have to go .500 in the competitive games to get a bid. Heck, Penn State is #8 and all I've heard on here is how average they are and how they haven't beaten anyone any good. And they are #8!

And this isn't going to water down the regular season?
Don't forget UCF/Tulane. They'll grab one spot.

Double V

As it stands now #9-12 are Clemson, K-State, Utah and Washington.

People will disagree I'm sure, but when I look at those resumes, I don't see any teams deserving to be in a playoff. What has Clemson done? The better programs only play about 5-6 losable games each year (and some teams really only pay 2-3), we're getting to the point where you'll just have to go .500 in the competitive games to get a bid. Heck, Penn State is #8 and all I've heard on here is how average they are and how they haven't beaten anyone any good. And they are #8!

And this isn't going to water down the regular season?
Finally, I can agree 100% with Wexahu! 12 is way too many teams. Should have been 6 with a top-2 bye.

CountryFrog

Dirt posted in the other thread that ‘All 12 teams proceed to bowls’ but I can’t find that verbiage in any articles so may have to wait to find out if that’s official
This is my understanding of how it will work. Those 1st round on campus games aren't bowls. Everyone who plays in those games will still go to a bowl game after.

CountryFrog

Don't forget UCF/Tulane. They'll grab one spot.
I believe this is ultimately why they went to 12 instead of 6 or 8. The powers that be wanted (or felt compelled) to have a guaranteed spot for a G5 team but also wanted to make sure the major conference champs get in. A 6 team playoff would've meant no at large bids and an 8 team would've meant only a couple. I think the SEC and Big 10 power brokers wanted to make sure they had the ability to get 2-4 teams into the playoff every year.

Wexahu

I believe this is ultimately why they went to 12 instead of 6 or 8. The powers that be wanted (or felt compelled) to have a guaranteed spot for a G5 team but also wanted to make sure the major conference champs get in. A 6 team playoff would've meant no at large bids and an 8 team would've meant only a couple. I think the SEC and Big 10 power brokers wanted to make sure they had the ability to get 2-4 teams into the playoff every year.
I think so too. No way were they going to give an auto spot to 5 conference champs, a G5 and then just have two at large. But that would be better.

I think just have the current system but make it 8 teams would be the best myself but I can understand the conference champ thing. I just think it deemphasizes OOC games too much. I like those games counting as much as the others.

Limey Frog

Imagine doing everything you did for the Rose Bowl and then turning around and doing a similar trip to another part of the country a week later, after a win. Now, imagine doing that three times in mid-late December and the first couple weeks of January, bookending Christmas, in the event your team wins two games in the playoffs.

I'm not sure how this is gonna work. Now that they've expanded the playoffs to 12 freaking teams, the traditional Bowl commitments need to go and they need to start playing these games on college campuses. Too much travel required.

They should move the season forward a few weeks, go back to a 10 or 11-game regular season with no cupcakes, then squeeze in a playoff in time to have the Rose Bowl be the national final every year on Jan. 1, holding every other playoff game on the campus of the higher seed. But they won't, because they're stupid and venal.

CountryFrog

I think so too. No way were they going to give an auto spot to 5 conference champs, a G5 and then just have two at large. But that would be better.

I think just have the current system but make it 8 teams would be the best myself but I can understand the conference champ thing. I just think it deemphasizes OOC games too much. I like those games counting as much as the others.
My personal preference would've been an 8 team playoff with the 4 highest ranked Champs getting auto-bids as the top 4 seeds then 4 at large spots with the 1st round taking place on campus at the home of the higher seed and the proceeding to the semis and NCG as we currently have it. You can even guarantee a bid every year to the G5 if you must.

LisaLT

All I see is more controversy ahead. I like the "idea" of an expanded playoff, but I wonder if 12 teams is too many? And how are these teams going to be selected?

HFrog1999

I doubt this tournament idea lasts. There’s not going to be that many people who will be able to afford the tickets and travel. They’ll be playing in front of small crowds.

Wexahu

All I see is more controversy ahead. I like the "idea" of an expanded playoff, but I wonder if 12 teams is too many? And how are these teams going to be selected?
By a committee I’m sure. Ya, I’m sure there won’t be any controversy now. Lol.

Wexahu

I doubt this tournament idea lasts. There’s not going to be that many people who will be able to afford the tickets and travel. They’ll be playing in front of small crowds.
Just look at the first 4 rounds of the basketball tournament. Half empty arenas are the norm, and they even have 8 teams at each 1st and 2nd round site (I believe).

I don’t think they care though, as long as TV pays and the Bowl power brokers can get their cut.

puckster59

The SEC and Big Ten might not. They’ll each have several spots. But I’m not sure too many others will have that luxury except in situations like TCU this season.

Opintel

Moderators
If it's an 8/12 then go with the AP Poll. This committee nonsense is all politics, unless forced they go with "name brands".

Damn Horned Frogs are messing with them...again.:cool:

froginmn

This is my understanding of how it will work. Those 1st round on campus games aren't bowls. Everyone who plays in those games will still go to a bowl game after.
To do that, I would think, you would need to prearrange the bowls that would host the first round losers.

All bowls are assigned in early December so I would think you need to continue that but leave open spots for the losing teams? If the losers play one another that's one thing. If they slot one of the teams but leave open spots for the others, the non-playoff team's fans will snap up the good hotels. Seems like there are some messy aspects either way.

And in that case, would you rather try to go to Columbus to see the playoff game, or wait to go to the (hopefully) Sugar Bowl quarterfinal or the (consolation) Alamo Bowl? I would think that hosting a consolation bowl would suck - uninspired fan base with a short window to book.

Yay!

Last edited:

CountryFrog

To do that, I would think, you would need to prearrange the bowls that would host the first round losers.

All bowls are assigned in early December so I would think you need to continue that but leave open spots for the losing teams? If the losers play one another that's one thing. If they slot one of the teams but leave open spots for the others, the non-playoff team's fans will snap up the good hotels. Seems like there are some messy aspects either way.

And in that case, would you rather try to go to Columbus to see the playoff game, or wait to go to the (hopefully) Sugar Bowl quarter or the (consolation) Alamo Bowl? I would think that hosting a consolation bowl would suck - uninspired fan base with a short window to book.

Yay!
These are all good points that I'm sure have been discussed but I don't have the answers specifically.

You're certainly right about the losers of those 1st round games having uninspired fan bases. But that's already the case for teams who lose in their CCG or go into the bowls on a downward spiral like Baylor or Oklahoma St this year. So that won't be anything new.

Ultimately these are made for TV events these days anyway. Unfortunately no decisions are being made with the good of the fans (or even the players quite frankly) anywhere near the top of the priority list.

LVH

I care. Although conference titles matter more when conferences are full of regional teams with regional rivalries instead of national conferences.

Virginia Frog

Yeah, this is a dumb argument. This weekend it doesn't matter if Georgia or Michigan lose their CCG, and if TCU's jersey said 'Oklahoma' it wouldn't matter for us, either. Then the other major CCG would put a winner in the playoff who in this model has no chance. So, yes, they will matter vastly more.
Hey, are we gonna wear the "FORT WORTH" jerseys this weekend?
(Maybe FW is better known across the country than TCU. It'll help us with this "brand" nonsense.)