• The KillerFrogs

The USFL is back…

McFroggin

Did y’all know this? Had no idea until I saw the coaching announcements today. Houston Gamblers are back in action!

Games are gonna be on Fox and NBC…starts up in April.

USFL will have city names, but they plan to play all games in 1 location. It will be a tv play, that will move to the primary cities if it drives enough tv traffic.

I have more faith in the XFL

tcudoc

The United States Football League
untitled_35.png

The World Football League

s-l1600.png

Last edited:

Frog-in-law1995

Did y’all know this? Had no idea until I saw the coaching announcements today. Houston Gamblers are back in action!

Games are gonna be on Fox and NBC…starts up in April.

My college roommate’s (who’s now my cousin-in-law) dad was an assistant coach under June Jones for the Gamblers back when Jim Kelley was their QB in the mid 80s. Had a good team there. Coincidentally, think he played at TCU in the late 60s as well.

Chongo94

My college roommate’s (who’s now my cousin-in-law) dad was an assistant coach under June Jones for the Gamblers back when Jim Kelley was their QB in the mid 80s. Had a good team there. Coincidentally, think he played at TCU in the late 60s as well.
Wow, small world, that’s really cool. Jim Kelley seemed to like his short time there if I remember hearing that correctly in an interview he once did.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Wow, small world, that’s really cool. Jim Kelley seemed to like his short time there if I remember hearing that correctly in an interview he once did.
There is still a picture of a young Jim Kelley and several of his teammates dining at a Clear Lake burger joint (Miller's) hanging in the place. My, how the years fly by...

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
There is still a picture of a young Jim Kelley and several of his teammates dining at a Clear Lake burger joint (Miller's) hanging in the place. My, how the years fly by...
used to work out at a gym on Boone Rd in west Houston. I guess the Oilers wouldn’t let the Gamblers use their weight room, so we had our free weight room taken over by the Gamblers. Kelley only showed up periodically. Usually just to BS. Can’t recall him ever lifting.

tcudoc

Both the WFL and the initial USFL were able to recruit some big names to give the leagues a bit of initial star power. I think that is what separates them from the arena league and the XFL. Neither one of the WFL or USFL had staying power though.

Chongo94

Both the WFL and the initial USFL were able to recruit some big names to give the leagues a bit of initial star power. I think that is what separates them from the arena league and the XFL. Neither one of the WFL or USFL had staying power though.
I really wouldn’t mind a spring league being successful…gonna be really hard though to do.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
used to work out at a gym on Boone Rd in west Houston. I guess the Oilers wouldn’t let the Gamblers use their weight room, so we had our free weight room taken over by the Gamblers. Kelley only showed up periodically. Usually just to BS. Can’t recall him ever lifting.
I don't think Dan Fouts ever lifted. Don't think Stabler did either. I even remember a famous Raiders comeback game against Denver where Stabler sat in the back of the locker room smoking.

Things were a little different then...