• The KillerFrogs

The Transfer Portal claims another one...

CountryFrog

I saw an article listing all the players in the portal posted on here. Was initially surprised, not so much now. It isn’t surprising that highly rated HS players underperform and believe it’s just an unfair situation. It isnt. This is a hard lesson about the dangers of ego
What's more dangerous? Ego or Eggo?

Eight

the number i would like to see is how many of those in the portal actually were on a scholarship.

don't think the drop would be significant, but i know for example a few of those in the portal from tcu are walk on's so i don't even know why they have to go through the portal

Pharm Frog

Before my kid told me he was transferring, I would be asking where to and is there a scholarship offered.
To go from full ride to full unknown is terrifying.
Lots of families i suspect cant handle that monetary change easily

If a decent % of these kids entering the portal were motivated by obtaining a college degree then that would be an issue for sure. And I’m guessing that a substantial % of these parents are fully supportive and probably encouraging the attempt to transfer since their Lil Johnny isn’t getting the respect he deserves on the gridiron.

Eight

@Moose Stuff A couple of Alabama linebackers are in the portal, Ben Davis 5*, Ale Kaho 5/4*. We in the mix?

more than one of my wife's family back in washington find a bit of amusement that kaho is in the transfer portal

there was a great deal that went on with him after signing with washington, needing a class to qualify though some claim he was told by bama not to take the class so he technically wouldn't have enrolled at washington and could sign with bama, had some family things happen, claimed he needed a release from washington so he could stay closer to home in nevada, and upon his release signed with bama which was his family's preference.

article from the seattle times:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...-release-from-uw-huskies-to-play-for-alabama/

Atomic Frawg

more than one of my wife's family back in washington find a bit of amusement that kaho is in the transfer portal

there was a great deal that went on with him after signing with washington, needing a class to qualify though some claim he was told by bama not to take the class so he technically wouldn't have enrolled at washington and could sign with bama, had some family things happen, claimed he needed a release from washington so he could stay closer to home in nevada, and upon his release signed with bama which was his family's preference.

article from the seattle times:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...-release-from-uw-huskies-to-play-for-alabama/
I don't have any insider info on why he and Davis are leaving, but we do pretty well with putting LBs into the league. Davis has onebyear remaining, and Kaho possibly has two. I would at least hope we shoot our shot at two 5* LBs looking for a home.

Last edited:

Wexahu

I don't have any insider info on why he and Davis are leaving, but we do pretty well with putting LBs into the league. I would at least hope we shoot our shot at two 5* LBs looking for a home.

It's odd, but some of the best linebackers we've ever had in the GP era, I'm not sure they'd be linebackers anymore on this team. I'm talking guys like Jason Phillips, Paul Dawson, Kenny Cain & Marcus Mallet. Probably forgetting some from further back. I don't think any of those guys would have had a chance in hell of playing Safety. Nowadays, it seems like all our LBs (at least the ones that play) are basically kids that came in as safeties and had to learn how to play LB.

It's ALL about speed now. I think more than it needs to be at times but what do I know.

Atomic Frawg

It's odd, but some of the best linebackers we've ever had in the GP era, I'm not sure they'd be linebackers anymore on this team. I'm talking guys like Jason Phillips, Paul Dawson, Kenny Cain & Marcus Mallet. Probably forgetting some from further back. I don't think any of those guys would have had a chance in hell of playing Safety. Nowadays, it seems like all our LBs (at least the ones that play) are basically kids that came in as safeties and had to learn how to play LB.

It's ALL about speed now. I think more than it needs to be at times but what do I know.
I think B12 LBs have to at least be able to cover TEs and RBs. At 6'4" and 250lbs Davis would be a fast edge rusher (I don't know about his speed) while Kaho would do fine.

Wexahu

I think B12 LBs have to at least be able to cover TEs and RBs. At 6'4" and 250lbs Davis would be a fast edge rusher (I don't know about his speed) while Kaho would do fine.

They have always had to though, haven't they? Offenses haven't been 3 yards and a could of dust for a very long time. We had one of the best defenses in the country in 2013 & 2014 with Dawson and Mallett playing LB, and probably about the slowest Safety we've ever had in Sam Carter.

And if anything, in the past 5-6 years offenses have reverted back to running the ball more. Not sure what the stats say, but at least that's what it seems like to me.

Eight

I don't have any insider info on why he and Davis are leaving, but we do pretty well with putting LBs into the league. Davis has onebyear remaining, and Kaho possibly has two. I would at least hope we shoot our shot at two 5* LBs looking for a home.

davis was an olb at bama which translates to a defensive end for the frogs and did play in 20 or so games the past two seasons, but hasn't been overly productive from them other than depth.

ben's dad is apparently a bama legend so if he is leaving you would think it was a case he knew he wasn't going to get playing time and he is looking for a chance to play and prove his worth for the 2022 draft

kaho's problems followed him to bama as you can see referenced in this article linked below

what were the off the field issues he dealt with that were referenced in the article? no idea, but saban's comments and then kaho's response on social media is a bit disconcerting.

he only played special teams for the most part at bama and i can't recall anyone who has come in and made an immediate impact at linebacker off the top of my head so not encouraged about a senior coming in the summer, learning the scheme, and making an impact next fall