• The KillerFrogs

The Transfer Portal claims another one...

Paul in uhh

frank would make 13 of 17 recruits who have signed with dixon's program only to leave for whatever reasons and none of those 13 were a 1 and done

please no one tell me this is the norm for college basketball today. other programs actually identify, sign, and develop their recruits
Oof. That’s bad.

Wexahu

Out of curiosity I checked and yep...this was as of April 1. And it ain't no joke.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/spor...y-record-number-of-players-switching-schools/

This is going to ruin college basketball if they don't get a grip on this and do something about it. It's kind of already ruined enough. I guess that's just my opinion but I don't see how anyone could think this is good. 90% of these players will be no better off at their new place, and more than a few are just greasing the wheels to be directionless vagabonds for a long time.

helcap

This is going to ruin college basketball if they don't get a grip on this and do something about it. It's kind of already ruined enough. I guess that's just my opinion but I don't see how anyone could think this is good. 90% of these players will be no better off at their new place, and more than a few are just greasing the wheels to be directionless vagabonds for a long time.
Case in point, all this portal talk made me look up Kaden Archie. He lasted one season at UTEP, and transferred again to Georgia Southern

Wexahu

Case in point, all this portal talk made me look up Kaden Archie. He lasted one season at UTEP, and transferred again to Georgia Southern

And when he’s done with school he’ll probably have close to zero relationships that could help him post career (or at least nothing like could be had staying put for four years), no place to call a home, and a reputation as a guy who will jump ship at the first hint of adversity, I know we gotta keep these kids happy at all costs, but it’s a bad way to go about doing it.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

I've seen HS recruits say things like "I'll be spending the next 3-4 years at the University of X." Basketball recruits should probably start announcing that they'll be spending the next 3-4 MONTHS at the University of X because anything beyond that seems like a crapshoot at this point.

CountryFrog

College basketball already has a fairly niche audience as it is. Most people don't care about it at all until March and those people don't know who hardly any of these players are anyway. I think in this case being kind of a small time sport may be beneficial because very few people will pay attention to any of this. I'm sure there will be a few people who are turned off by it to the point where they stop buying tickets but in general teams that are winning games will continue to sell tickets.

Now if college football were to ever get this bad where teams are routinely watching half their roster transfer out every year then that might be an issue.

Francis Xavier

And when he’s done with school he’ll probably have close to zero relationships that could help him post career (or at least nothing like could be had staying out for four years), no place to call a home, and a reputation as a guy who will jump ship at the first hint of adversity, I know we gotta keep these kids happy at all costs, but it’s a bad way to go about doing it.
Happiness does not= fulfilling and productive life. Kids are wimps.

Wexahu

Happiness does not= fulfilling and productive life. Kids are wimps.

They are kids. When I was that age I didn't know jack [ Finebaum ] about anything, and neither did 90% of my friends. That's just the way it is. Give kids a free option to run from a situation that doesn't seem perfect for them and more often than not they are going to take it. This idea that 19-year old kids need to have the same rules for them as 50-year old coaches is asinine IMO, unless you don't really care about 19-year old kids.

Making rules that more or less encourages transferring is about the dumbest thing that can be done.