• The KillerFrogs

The Topeka Capital-Journal: Could Mountain West target KU, K-State?

Nick Danger

Is this really a either/or type deal between Boise and Kansas State? If we need three new teams to get to the preferred 12 teams, wouldn't we take all three and be done?

For anyone that feels like bring up Baylor at this juncture, I'm just going to save you the time and say that I don't care what statistics you cite or what arguments you want to present in order to make the case for the MWC inviting Baylor, I don't want Baylor anywhere near the MWC! May they rot in hell (or C-USA)!

desmith03

QUOTE(froginaustin @ Jun 8 2010, 11:46 AM) [snapback]571477[/snapback]
I wonder the same thing about Big Twelve TV broadcasters. Would they be willing to renegotiate and pay a whole lot more money to keep their programing on the air? Or stand firm on their contract and broadcast Oprah reruns in the time slots meant for football from the late B12?

I'd bet that all the networks have some language in their contracts that would allow them to wiggle out in case of a material shift in the "content" of the conference. If not, they don't have very conservative contracts people.

desmith03

QUOTE(Nick Danger @ Jun 8 2010, 11:53 AM) [snapback]571488[/snapback]
Is this really a either/or type deal between Boise and Kansas State? If we need three new teams to get to the preferred 12 teams, wouldn't we take all threee and be done?

For anyone that feels like bring up Baylor at this juncture, I'm just going to save you the time and say that I don't care what statistics you cite or what arguments you want to present in order to make the case for the MWC inviting Baylor, I don't want Baylor anywhere near the MWC! May they rot in hell (or C-USA)!

If the MWC chooses to move to 12, and the Pac-16, Big Sixteen doomsday does happen, priority 1 will be CU, KU & K-State. If CU ends up going Pac-16, and Baylor is left out, there are several more schools that would likely get an MWC-12 invite before Baylor.

byuhog

KU and K-st would be attractive options for the MWC and right now-they wouldn't straight up win the MWC this year. They can dream all they want.

A 12 team league with BSU and those 2 would be pretty solid. Course some teams like WYoming and SDS would lose more than ever before and it would look like the MWC has some pretty weak teams at one end... well, that's true.

No way should the MWC try to take on CU. Aaack. Maybe trade SDS for CU, but take on another mediocre team that can't even beat CSU that often??? Nah.

desmith03

QUOTE(byuhog @ Jun 8 2010, 11:57 AM) [snapback]571491[/snapback]
KU and K-st would be attractive options for the MWC and right now-they wouldn't straight up win the MWC this year. They can dream all they want.

A 12 team league with BSU and those 2 would be pretty solid. Course some teams like WYoming and SDS would lose more than ever before and it would look like the MWC has some pretty weak teams at one end... well, that's true.

No way should the MWC try to take on CU. Aaack. Maybe trade SDS for CU, but take on another mediocre team that can't even beat CSU that often??? Nah.

Quit thinking about on-field performance in these scenarios; it's completely irrelevant. :tongue:

fdub

QUOTE(Nick Danger @ Jun 8 2010, 11:53 AM) [snapback]571488[/snapback]
in hell (or C-USA)!

what's the difference?

froginaustin

QUOTE(frogs9497 @ Jun 8 2010, 12:00 PM) [snapback]571497[/snapback]
I'd really enjoy watching us put a beat down on K-State in front of all the GP haters up there.

I doubt seriously that either KU or K-State would crack .500 against an MWC schedule in 2011. It wouldn't break my heart if we had a chance to find out for sure.

ms19

QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ Jun 8 2010, 11:46 AM) [snapback]571476[/snapback]
Here are the scenarios for the forgotten four:
1. Join the Big East (Plausible, because of KSU, BU & KU basketball). Probably won't happen as the Beast is like the titanic.
2. Join the MWC (just say no to Baylor).
3. Invite select MWC, Big East & C-USA teams to join with them.

Personally, I like Option 3 as a way of getting rid of some conference bottom dwellers. The new Big 12 of:

KSU
KU
ISU
Baylor / Colorado
TCU
Utah
BYU
Memphis / Boise
Air Force
Colorado State
Louisville
New Mexico / Wyoming / SMU

To me.....Best Case New Big 12:

One Division: TCU SMU KU KSU LOUISVILLE ISU
One Division: Colorado CSU Utah BYU AFA Boise

I doubt Baylor gets in the Pac though. But if they do...i think this is possible.

LionsBearsFrogs

QUOTE(ms19 @ Jun 8 2010, 01:09 PM) [snapback]571557[/snapback]
To me.....Best Case New Big 12:

One Division: TCU SMU KU KSU LOUISVILLE ISU
One Division: Colorado CSU Utah BYU AFA Boise

I doubt Baylor gets in the Pac though. But if they do...i think this is possible.

Here's the perfect divisions.

Mountain: BYU, Utah, AFA, CSU, Wyoming, UNLV
West: KU, KSU, CU, TCU, NM, SDSU

The mountain goats stay together. KU, KSU, and CU stay together. Both divisions get an attractive travel destination (LV or SD). It's a pretty even mix of the Univ. of, State, and private schools.

Play the five teams in your division and four in the other division. We could allow for an annual interdivision "rivalry" game (a fiction created to allow CSU and CU to play every year).

BYU - TCU
Utah - KU
AFA - NM
CSU - CU
Wyo - KSU
UNLV - SDSU

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(LionsBearsFrogs @ Jun 8 2010, 01:36 PM) [snapback]571584[/snapback]
Here's the perfect divisions.

Mountain: BYU, Utah, AFA, CSU, Wyoming, UNLV
West: KU, KSU, CU, TCU, NM, SDSU

The mountain goats stay together. KU, KSU, and CU stay together. Both divisions get an attractive travel destination (LV or SD). It's a pretty even mix of the Univ. of, State, and private schools.

Play the five teams in your division and four in the other division. We could allow for an annual interdivision "rivalry" game (a fiction created to allow CSU and CU to play every year).

BYU - TCU
Utah - KU
AFA - NM
CSU - CU
Wyo - KSU
UNLV - SDSU

All that, and you want a 9 game conference schedule? Made sense until then.

LionsBearsFrogs

QUOTE(RSF @ Jun 8 2010, 01:40 PM) [snapback]571589[/snapback]
All that, and you want a 9 game conference schedule? Made sense until then.

I thought we wanted nine conference games plus SMU, a reach (Texas), and a guaranteed win (Baylor).