• The KillerFrogs

The Topeka Capital-Journal: Could Mountain West target KU, K-State?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
[SIZE=12pt]The Topeka Capital-Journal: Could Mountain West target KU, K-State?[/SIZE]

From Staff and Wire Reports

The Mountain West Conference on Monday took a wait-and-see approach to expansion.

Now, officials at Kansas and Kansas State must wait and see if that approach eventually involves them.

Presidents of the Mountain West were expected to vote Monday on adding Boise State to the nine-team league, but they held off making any expansion decisions to monitor developments of two bigger conferences, the Big Ten and Pac-10, which also are considering expansion and reportedly on the verge of raiding the Big 12.

Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson said the board likely will reconsider its next move once the dust settles in other conferences. ...

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Cougar/Frog @ Jun 8 2010, 07:36 AM) [snapback]571161[/snapback]
Comments on this article are really interesting.....

the North and South Dakota schools? :wacko:

SnoSki

This comment really chaps my bum..

would love to see a TCU/KU football game, since he's so positive KU would easily win conference each year.. HA.
KU would be the "Texas of the Big 12" if they moved to the mountain west. Conference bball wouldn't be as fun anymore besides kicking around KSU a couple times a year...It might help us get some conference titles in football but that still wouldn't be as fun as trying to do it in the Big12...

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
QUOTE(Cougar/Frog @ Jun 8 2010, 07:36 AM) [snapback]571161[/snapback]
Comments on this article are really interesting.....

Yeah. Delusional thinking that they are much better than they are, and when moving to a "smaller" conference they would instantly dominate. Gee, that sounds familiar, where have I heard that before...? Not sure, but for some reason green and gold come to mind.

But fear not, the presidents of these institutions are smarter than the fans, and they will do what is best for their schools. That would include the MWC if the armageddon goes down as planned. Then their fans will get a dose of humility in year one when BYU, Utah, TCU, AFA and potentially BSU all spank both of them (assuming they get to play in the new larger conference scenario).

fdub

I wonder what those phonecalls are like-- Craig Thompson and the Kansas school presidents...

I think the MWC's TV deal is a deal-killer for this potential matchup. UNless there's major interest in an immediate and very lucrative re-negotiation, I just don't see the KS schools in the MWC boat.

SnoSki

QUOTE(fdub @ Jun 8 2010, 09:28 AM) [snapback]571258[/snapback]
I wonder what those phonecalls are like-- Craig Thompson and the Kansas school presidents...

I think the MWC's TV deal is a deal-killer for this potential matchup. UNless there's major interest in an immediate and very lucrative re-negotiation, I just don't see the KS schools in the MWC boat.

If all the major XII teams leave, it seems likely to me that the Big 12 would cease to exist.. not likely that they'd maintain BCS status by filling in UT/OU/etc with the likes of Tulsa, Houston, Rice.

Is there a chance that the MWC could then go in and scoop up the BIG XII's TV deal with Fox Sports?

713frog

QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ Jun 8 2010, 08:12 AM) [snapback]571185[/snapback]
This comment really chaps my bum..

would love to see a TCU/KU football game, since he's so positive KU would easily win conference each year.. HA.

bball is secondary in these conference realignment talks. football is the king/money maker.

Limey Frog

The problem with the Kansas option is that it has to be a two-for-one.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news...ap-kansas-big12

If Baylor's cronies succeed in getting the unpopular kid no one invited into the party once again then the MWC could be facing a choice between taking KSU to get KU or passing on both to add Boise [because obviously Colorado is a no-brainer]. I would hate to see any expansion scenario that leaves Boise out of the MWC. The are an extremely valuable asset in football.

KSU... not so much.

froginaustin

QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ Jun 8 2010, 09:34 AM) [snapback]571264[/snapback]
If all the major XII teams leave, it seems likely to me that the Big 12 would cease to exist.. not likely that they'd maintain BCS status by filling in UT/OU/etc with the likes of Tulsa, Houston, Rice.

Is there a chance that the MWC could then go in and scoop up the BIG XII's TV deal with Fox Sports?

I would expect the PAC16 to do that. It's UTx and OU the networks want, and I doubt they care what conference they play in.

SnoSki

QUOTE(froginaustin @ Jun 8 2010, 09:46 AM) [snapback]571284[/snapback]
I would expect the PAC16 to do that. It's UTx and OU the networks want, and I doubt they care what conference they play in.

True... the PAC 10 is already under Fox Sports though.. maybe FS would want to expand into the MWC market, or keep their presence in Kansas?

LionsBearsFrogs

QUOTE(Limey Frog @ Jun 8 2010, 09:45 AM) [snapback]571282[/snapback]
The problem with the Kansas option is that it has to be a two-for-one.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news...ap-kansas-big12

If Baylor's cronies succeed in getting the unpopular kid no one invited into the party once again then the MWC could be facing a choice between taking KSU to get KU or passing on both to add Boise [because obviously Colorado is a no-brainer]. I would hate to see any expansion scenario that leaves Boise out of the MWC. The are an extremely valuable asset in football.

KSU... not so much.

KU and K-State are absolutely a package deal and it shouldn't matter. K-State is much more attractive than Boise State regardless of current football performance.

Kansas State
Founded: 1863
Enrollment: 21,570
Endowment: $260M
Carnegie classification: research university with very high research
Famous alumni: Gary Patterson!!!
Driving distance from Fort Worth: 489 miles (more accessible for TCU fans)
Athletics budget: $38M
Sports: 16 (including baseball)
Men's b-ball tournament app: 24

Boise State
Founded: 1932 (began awarding bachelors in 1965)
Enrollment: 18,936
Endowment: $53M
Carnegie classification: master's colleges and universities (larger programs)
Famous alumni: ???
Driving distance from Fort Worth: 1,585 miles
Athletics budget: $25.8M
Sports: 17 (does not offer baseball)
Men's b-ball tournament app: 5

K-State's Decade of Dominance proved that it can be competitive in football. Don't try comparing KSU's overall win percentage to BSU. One, KSU has been playing major college football a lot longer and, two, it is really disingenuous for a Frog fan to consider such records.

Fair or not, universities are known by the company that they keep. Boise State's hot football performance will eventually come to an end (and rather abruptly in a conference with TCU, Utah, and BYU). What else do they have to offer then?

I'll admit I'm very biased—my Dad was ABD from K-State and a Wildcat fan and I swore January 4, 2010, that I never wanted to see a BSU fan ever again—but this seems like a no brainer. I'm salivating at the prospect of KU, KSU, and TCU in the same conference.

Cougar/Frog

KU and KSU would be excellent additions for the MWC and well worth expanding to 12 (or more to get). While they only bring in the small market that is the state of Kansas (and KC as well, of course), both would be quality additions to the conference.

For TCU, I think we would just have to accept the fact that TCU basketball might never get much better adding KU and K St to the mix with UNLV, SDSU, NM, BYU, and Utah..... Oh, well, just having the Kansas schools in the conference would cause a halo effect to the rest of the schools and make for a 6 or 7 bid league (out of 12). Not bad there and it might give TCU a shot to slip in as the last team in the conference....

For football, I think we would see a lot of KU and K St fans come to Fort Worth --- not as much as BYU fans maybe, but 5k or more....

froginaustin

QUOTE(Cougar/Frog @ Jun 8 2010, 11:38 AM) [snapback]571461[/snapback]
. . .
For football, I think we would see a lot of KU and K St fans come to Fort Worth --- not as much as BYU fans maybe, but 5k or more....

Therefore I hope that TCU holds off building a 60,000-seat stadium, until we can routinely fill a smaller one with our own fans. Let the BYU, KU and K-State fans watch on TV (maybe from a parking lot tailgate party :biggrin: .

desmith03

I would hope that Comcast would agree to come back to the table in case of a major conference shift. They would stand to gain a huge amount of advertising revenue if CU, KU & K-State joined the MWC.

Dogfrog

Really? What options do you think they will have if left out of PAC 16? They will be begging MWC.

West Coast Johnny

Here are the scenarios for the forgotten four:
1. Join the Big East (Plausible, because of KSU, BU & KU basketball). Probably won't happen as the Beast is like the titanic.
2. Join the MWC (just say no to Baylor).
3. Invite select MWC, Big East & C-USA teams to join with them.

Personally, I like Option 3 as a way of getting rid of some conference bottom dwellers. The new Big 12 of:

KSU
KU
ISU
Baylor / Colorado
TCU
Utah
BYU
Memphis / Boise
Air Force
Colorado State
Louisville
New Mexico / Wyoming / SMU

froginaustin

QUOTE(Daniel @ Jun 8 2010, 11:43 AM) [snapback]571470[/snapback]
I would hope that Comcast would agree to come back to the table in case of a major conference shift. They would stand to gain a huge amount of advertising revenue if CU, KU & K-State joined the MWC.

I wonder the same thing about Big Twelve TV broadcasters. Would they be willing to renegotiate and pay a whole lot more money to keep their programing on the air? Or stand firm on their contract and broadcast Oprah reruns in the time slots meant for football from the late B12?

desmith03

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Jun 8 2010, 11:43 AM) [snapback]571473[/snapback]
Really? What options do you think they will have if left out of PAC 16? They will be begging MWC.

They'll be begging for BigTen or Big East, but will probably get MWC (in that scenario).