• The KillerFrogs

The Sporting News: TCU, Kansas State fans confused by officials' questionable calls in Big 12 championship games

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU, Kansas State fans confused by officials' questionable calls in Big 12 championship games​

Dan Treacy

GettyImages-1245335678.jpg.png

What's championship weekend without an officiating controversy?

In a Big 12 championship game that might decide whether TCU goes to the College Football Playoff, social media is already confused by a pair of questionable calls.

Officials missed what appeared to be a pretty obvious false start on a Kansas State touchdown pass on fourth and 1 in the first quarter. A TCU defender pointed at the Wildcats' offensive line to try to get the attention of the officials, but Will Howard was able to hit Ben Sinnott for the game-tying score.

Kansas would've been backed up and forced to attempt a field goal if officials noticed the false start.

Read more at https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...-big-12-championship/asx8kwc2oakbnsyu3xq6so5k

Pharm Frog

318169678_8387431827997199_1817516112089420694_n.jpg

Been waiting for someone to post this pic. And in it is my biggest beef with the officials. I suppose one could say that no portion of the ball broke any part of the plane before the elbow touched. BUT....look where the elbow/forearm is in relationship to the ball and recall where they ended up spotting the ball for the next down. There's probably 2/3rds of a yard difference and that was more than enough to be determinative. But keep propping up instant replay as a way to get the calls "right" in the moments that most matter when all replay does is create additional opportunities to play advertising. AND....recall that they weren't even going to replay this until HCSD pitched a fit and called a timeout. Should also point out that it didn't matter if the line was red or white.

East Coast

Tier 1
I do watch other games, and every conference has horrendous officiating crews. The PAC's are on the Big 12's level, and appear more corrupt than ours. Officiating crews that we thought were bad have been "promoted" to the Big10 and other conferences.

Pharm Frog

I do watch other games, and every conference has horrendous officiating crews. The PAC's are on the Big 12's level, and appear more corrupt than ours. Officiating crews that we thought were bad have been "promoted" to the Big10 and other conferences.
I don't believe that "crews" are promoted. But maybe they are....would have to ask zebra

East Coast

Tier 1

Been waiting for someone to post this pic. And in it is my biggest beef with the officials. I suppose one could say that no portion of the ball broke any part of the plane before the elbow touched. BUT....look where the elbow/forearm is in relationship to the ball and recall where they ended up spotting the ball for the next down. There's probably 2/3rds of a yard difference and that was more than enough to be determinative. But keep propping up instant replay as a way to get the calls "right" in the moments that most matter when all replay does is create additional opportunities to play advertising. AND....recall that they weren't even going to replay this until HCSD pitched a fit and called a timeout. Should also point out that it didn't matter if the line was red or white.
The ABC officiating expert said he wasn't sure if that was a score, but at worst the ball should be spotted an inch or so from the goal line. Then when they didn't even review the third down play, he was noticeably upset.

Pharm Frog

The ABC officiating expert said he wasn't sure if that was a score, but at worst the ball should be spotted an inch or so from the goal line. Then when they didn't even review the third down play, he was noticeably upset.
Do you recall where the ball was spotted after that play? Back near the one yard line which was an improvement over the officials' original spot at the 1.5 yard line....so there's that. In fact, it's the original spot that makes me question the intentions of that official. Why didn't he signal touchdown instead? Far closer to TD than where he spotted it AND where it was spotted after the review. He didn't want it to be a touchdown. I think that's pretty clear.

froginmn

Yeah I thought he was technically down about six inches from the goal line, when his forearm hit. I said that after the review we'd be so close that anything other than a sneak would be crazy. Still think we should have called the sneak from two feet out, but we should have been soooo much closer.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
How did they not have this view right down the goal line! My God, that is pretty definitive.

But then, it’s any part of the forearm. Very close.

Zebra needs to comment.

Last edited:

East Coast

Tier 1
I don't believe that "crews" are promoted. But maybe they are....would have to ask zebra
By promoted they get more money in the Big10 and SEC. Someone also mentioned that the Big12 is the only P5 that uses the "independent contractor" model for football officials instead of employee, but I don't know that for a fact.

East Coast

Tier 1
Do you recall where the ball was spotted after that play? Back near the one yard line which was an improvement over the officials' original spot at the 1.5 yard line....so there's that. In fact, it's the original spot that makes me question the intentions of that official. Why didn't he signal touchdown instead? Far closer to TD than where he spotted it AND where it was spotted after the review. He didn't want it to be a touchdown. I think that's pretty clear.
Yes, this game and the OU game made me think there are "biased, bought, corrupt" officials in the Big12 rather than just incompetent. An old official once told me that "back in the day" the standard was an official should be able to consistent spot the ball with 6 inches of the true spot. Seeing that could mean either way, that's a total length of a foot leeway. Now it seems they are happy if they get the spot within a yard of the true spot.

gofor2

I am sure fans of teams in every conference believe their officials are the worst, but #Big12 officials are absolutely the worst.
I know they are bad, but have you seen the idiots they use in the P12? They make our officials look an NFL talent pool

y2kFrog

I know they are bad, but have you seen the idiots they use in the P12? They make our officials look an NFL talent pool
It’s probably going to be ACC and Pac 12 for the 2 semi finals, and since our game is in Arizona I have a feeling I know which one will be ours.

illini_frog

Same official that threw the targeting flag that they were forced to pick up after the review. He was also the official in prime view of the false start that wasn't called.

webb3201

I understand incompetence, but how can a team representing a conference not make decisions that are best for said conference? When in doubt, choose the team whose position will further the conference. It’s insane.

Eight

There is no excuse for these types of mistaken calls in the age of technology. Video evidence is the equivalent of DNA evidence in forensic science. To ignore the obvious is either 1) incompetence 2) willful blindness, especially when they take the time to review by watching the replay. How can you scheiss that up?

if i am not mistaken the ball in the world cup that they are playing with has a sensor in it which allows it to be tracked for analytic purposes of speed, spin rate, etc....

don't believe fifa uses it for purposes of tracking the ball for goals, out of bounds etc, but it would seem that could be possible

oh, and fifa uses video replay as well and scheisss that up from time to time pharm

HornyWartyToad

if i am not mistaken the ball in the world cup that they are playing with has a sensor in it which allows it to be tracked for analytic purposes of speed, spin rate, etc....

don't believe fifa uses it for purposes of tracking the ball for goals, out of bounds etc, but it would seem that could be possible

oh, and fifa uses video replay as well and scheisss that up from time to time pharm
Yeah there's no reason in the world why the football can't be "wired" for at the very least, correctly spotting it and knowing if the ball has "broken the plane," both for TDs and First Downs. No reason other than fear of not having excuses for getting it wrong, that is.