• The KillerFrogs

The Sewo Pass Play

netty2424

How long would it have been?
According to post game interview, 51 yards. Which is where the “song is a 41-42 yard guy, outside of that, we don’t feel comfortable” comment cane from.

EDIT: I’m referring to the decision to not kick. maybe I misunderstood the post you were asking about.

netty2424

So many people in the recent wild frog thread were saying the formation needs a pass/pass threat because we only ever run Sewo to the right out of it.
We did, and it would have been effective on any other coach in the league.......except the one scheissing guy who probably helped design the pass option.

That’s the part that absolutely blew my mind about Cumbie’s comment “we’ve run two plays out of this formation for 3 years and the one time we pass he was covered” comment. You dipship, he was in the room and on the field when you implemented it. You think he forgot about it? Good grief.

4 Oaks Frog

Taking a sack in that situation was uncalled for. Lob it somewhere...anywhere.
That is QB think. He isn’t a QB. Don’t put the kid in a situation that is 99% not going to work. It was another stupid Cumbyism...
GO FROGS!
BEAT BASKETBALL CHEATERS
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!

Strat Frog

I will never understand the calling of this play as long as I live.

Moreover, if we really want to run the Wildfrog, including a pass option, then Delton would seem to be the better player at the QB position, not Sewo. And, we should run it semi-regularly, not just in the red zone.

I’ll also never understand the last series when we had a real chance to win the game. Unreal.

flyfishingfrog

We did, and it would have been effective on any other coach in the league.......except the one scheissing guy who probably helped design the pass option.

That’s the part that absolutely blew my mind about Cumbie’s comment “we’ve run two plays out of this formation for 3 years and the one time we pass he was covered” comment. You dipship, he was in the room and on the field when you implemented it. You think he forgot about it? Good grief.
I think both GP and Cumbie way underestimated the knowledge that Sonny Dykes has of our weaknesses on D and the tendencies on O

He game planned as well as Lincoln Riley against GMFPs D scheme - and GP wasn’t ready for it at all

And Cumbie ran the same crap plays as usual against the guy who spent An entire year trying to get him to try something new because the old stuff was predictable and easy to defend

So we basically paid Dykes a bunch of money to teach him how to beat us

flyfishingfrog

I will never understand the calling of this play as long as I live.

Moreover, if we really want to run the Wildfrog, including a pass option, then Delton would seem to be the better player at the QB position, not Sewo. And, we should run it semi-regularly, not just in the red zone.

I’ll also never understand the last series when we had a real chance to win the game. Unreal.
I agree since Deltons entire game is basically the wild frog

Just put him in and press go if that is what you want to run

Unfortunately the wild frog is our new short side option

netty2424

I think both GP and Cumbie was underestimated the knowledge that Sonny Dykes has of our weaknesses on D and the tendencies on O

He game planned as well as Lincoln Riley against GMFPs D scheme - and GP wasn’t ready for it at all

And Cumbie ran the same crap plays as usual against the guy who spent An entire year trying to get him to try something new because the old stuff was predictable and easy to defend

100%. Sonny probably had a very specific offensive role to watch/advise on certain parts of the offense, but in doing so, it also gave him time to bounce ideas off GP and watch GP dissect film when teams beat us on plays, learn GP’s tendencies, etc.

It was like an inside job robbery that everyone knows who did it, but couldn’t prove they did it.

MTfrog5

I think both GP and Cumbie way underestimated the knowledge that Sonny Dykes has of our weaknesses on D and the tendencies on O

Still waiting on the offense that we held back against APB. Had a feeling I’d still be waiting unfortunately

Baja Frog

Still waiting on the offense that we held back against APB. Had a feeling I’d still be waiting unfortunately
Oh, didn't you hear? GP and Sonny aren't going to show our conf opponents anything on film against our non-conference opponents. We're just keeping it conservative until we get to conference play this weekend against Kansas. Then we will unleash our full arsenal!

Punter1

Unbelievably great point...

Salfrog

Tier 1
According to post game interview, 51 yards. Which is where the “song is a 41-42 yard guy, outside of that, we don’t feel comfortable” comment cane from.

EDIT: I’m referring to the decision to not kick. maybe I misunderstood the post you were asking about.

That was on the final drive, but this is talking about the WF crap shot. GP says Song is only good from 40 yds in, but I remember him hitting from 60 yds out in high school.

CountryFrog

Lot of good points but this exact same play was run (with just as much success) a few years ago before Dykes showed up. So while I'm sure he knew about it, he certainly didn't design it.

Furthermore, there's no one on our schedule who doesn't know that play is an option since we've shown it in the past. GP isn't the only coach who goes back several seasons to see every teams potential trick plays.

So now we're 0-2 on it and a miserable 0-2 at that. I think it's time to consider the play a total waste and never never ever ever run it again or even waste time practicing it.

Wexahu

I think it's time to consider the play a total waste and never never ever ever run it again or even waste time practicing it.

No idea if there is any validity to this, but that play almost seems like an attempt to get a high-profile recruit a role in the offense, a player that we otherwise seem to have trouble finding a spot for. I've said this before and I'm sure I'll get ragged for it like I have in the past, but Sewo and his skill set is NOT a good fit for a typical Air Raid offense. For him to be a good running back, he needs to be a one-cut, downhill runner. Period, that's what he is. It's almost impossible to be that when you receive the ball standing still from the QB out of a shotgun formation. He's a very average player when he starts switching directions because he isn't quick enough.

Which goes back to the offensive identity question. What are we? What system are we trying to put in place? What's the plan? Determine that, and then that should decide the type of player we want to recruit. Are we going Air Raid? Then let's find Air Raid QB's, not dual threat kids that struggle identifying receivers in the passing game. Is the reason Justin Rogers is buried on the depth chart because this offense is ill-suited to his skills? And if it is, why was he recruited in the first place? Alex Delton absolutely is not an Air Raid QB. So why on the majority of plays is he dropping back in a pocket trying to be that? Why did we bring him in here in the first place? It all goes back to WHAT IS THE PLAN??

Every kid we go out and recruit we should have an idea of where that kid fits in within what we are trying to do offensively, and I'm not sure that is being done, because I don't think this coaching staff really knows what we want to be other than from GPs point of view an offense that doesn't put the defense in compromising positions.

Sorry for the rant but the apparent (at least from my POV) shoehorning of Sewo into the gameplan with this Wildcat thing illustrates the underlying issues we have on offense.