• The KillerFrogs

The Ridiculousness of College Football

Fiscuits

There are even about 30 kids on each team who volunteer to do “slave labor” for literally nothing, not even a $200k+ scholarship.

That is a strange dynamic.
So true. This same mentality is why we can’t go ahead and prepare for the Big 12 Title game against Texas. Who will beat Baylor and K State will lose to Kansas.

And in the unlikely event we lose the Big 12 Title game to either K State or Texas….they will go to a better bowl than we do, with one loss.

Worse than FIFA. Slave Labor.

Eight

So I gather you do not feel as if schools like TCU are going to have extra bias attributed towards them - due to no factor that originates off the field of play?

You feel as if Bama, OU or Texas were in our same shoes - they would have the exact same scrutiny as TCU gets, even though win or lose - we are in the Big 12 Title game regardless of Saturdays outcome?

i will take that as a no

bc puckett

So true. This same mentality is why we can’t go ahead and prepare for the Big 12 Title game against Texas. Who will beat Baylor and K State will lose to Kansas.

And in the unlikely event we lose the Big 12 Title game to either K State or Texas….they will go to a better bowl than we do, with one loss.

Worse than FIFA. Slave Labor.
What’s FIFA?

Sebastian S

At this point there should be a regular season champion

Then a championship game champion

Or the championship game should be a tiebreaker only if needed.

2014 - no championship game cost us

2022 - a championship game could cost us

Wexahu

At this point there should be a regular season champion

Then a championship game champion

Or the championship game should be a tiebreaker only if needed.

2014 - no championship game cost us

2022 - a championship game could cost us
Right. That’s the chance you take when you add that game. If we lose Saturday it will be our only chance to get back in the mix.

DeuceBoogieNights

This year's Alabama is a good example of why I like the 4-team format and how exclusive it is. If we had a 12-team or even 8-team format, Bama would be sitting there just waiting for all this to be sorted out to see where they would play in the playoff, because they would be in. And not only would they be in, they'd have a real legitimate chance to win it all, because they are one of the best teams in the country. They would be favored today against everyone but Georgia and Ohio State, and even in those games underdogs by a very small margin.

But they lose a couple nail biters on the road to Top 10 caliber teams, and they are pretty much blocked from being a playoff team barring some bizarre things going on in the last couple weeks. I love that. That is what makes the college football regular season so great. And having that very slim margin for error in the regular season actually makes it easier for teams like TCU to 1) make the final four or 2) make the championship game.

I don't agree with this at all Go ahead and put Bama in with your elevated ranking analysis. They almost lost to the Aggies and should have lost to [ Finebaum ]ty Texas.

You think having to go undefeated makes it easier for TCU while other conferences get mulligans? Am I understanding this correctly?

Wexahu

I don't agree with this at all Go ahead and put Bama in with your elevated ranking analysis. They almost lost to the Aggies and should have lost to [ #2020 ]ty Texas.

You think having to go undefeated makes it easier for TCU while other conferences get mulligans? Am I understanding this correctly?
We don’t necessarily have to go undefeated, that’s just a myth. Depends on the year. Baylor would have been in with a loss one year (last year) and maybe on two different occasions if they could have won the CCG if memory serves me right.

We have a real solid chance to make the Final Four in college football without beating a team who will end up with fewer than 4 losses. That would be impossible with an expanded playoff. And Alabama absolutely would be in a 8-team playoff.

LisaLT

If by some chance TCU is up a significant amount on ISU, I would assume Dykes would sit some key starters who have had injury issues (assuming Miller, QJ and DD are playing/starting on Saturday).

I think it is important to win this game. I think it's important to win ALL our games, but if we dropped this game to ISU, that spells disaster. They are the last place team in the Big12. The optics would be horrible.

I also agree it is hard to beat the same team twice in one season, and personally, if it is a close game with KSU, and we don't win, I don't think that should ruin our chances to make the final 4.

Let's hope we win out and it is a non-issue.

Sebastian S

So many TCU doubters that it feels like winning out is our only option to make the top 4

The championship game must be won, no doubt there.

But ISU being the last regular season game is tough because they are the worst team record wise in the big 12.

If our last game was vs. Texas, we may get that 1 “good loss” then make it up in the championship game

Wexahu

So many TCU doubters that it feels like winning out is our only option to make the top 4

The championship game must be won, no doubt there.

But ISU being the last regular season game is tough because they are the worst team record wise in the big 12.

If our last game was vs. Texas, we may get that 1 “good loss” then make it up in the championship game
Iowa State is not a bad team but the record is what it is, that's what kind of sucks. If we lose to the last place team in the league it's not gonna look good.

And I'll say something that is sure to not go over well here, but Iowa State is very similar to 2014 Virginia Tech FWIW. 6-6 record but losses by 7, 3, 5, 2 and 3 points. But everyone said VT was a bad team, at least that was the narrative here for sure.

Sebastian S

It’s crazy, I am reading some comments from ISU fans/alumns who have already said the season is done for ISU and wouldn’t mind losing to TCU so at least a big 12 team can be represented in the CFP

It’s actually pretty monumental for a big 12 team to get in that’s not OU… since they are leaving the conference anyways and who know what else is in store in terms of conference realignment

If we get into the playoffs, can kstate still make a ny6 bowl?

Panther City Frog

It’s crazy, I am reading some comments from ISU fans/alumns who have already said the season is done for ISU and wouldn’t mind losing to TCU so at least a big 12 team can be represented in the CFP

It’s actually pretty monumental for a big 12 team to get in that’s not OU… since they are leaving the conference anyways and who know what else is in store in terms of conference realignment

If we get into the playoffs, can kstate still make a ny6 bowl?
If I’m not mistaken, if TCU makes the playoff then the big xii runner up will make the Sugar Bowl. Either K State or Uterus.

Wexahu

Yep. Big 12 champ goes to Sugar. If the champ goes to playoff, the runner up goes to Sugar.
They should change the champ to whoever is ranked highest at the end of the CCG. That would make more sense. Lol. I guess this will be the last year of the weirdness of a round robin + another game.

LSU Game Attendee

Slave mentality - “I get a house, and food and a job!” While the master pays you nothing for this and makes millions (in this case billions) off of your efforts. Same as NCAA D1 Football players.
Maybe some people also really enjoy playing the game of football, and wish to continue as long as they can at the highest level they can. Some people even play intramurals brother!

LisaLT

They should change the champ to whoever is ranked highest at the end of the CCG. That would make more sense. Lol. I guess this will be the last year of the weirdness of a round robin + another game.
So IF TCU loses to KSU and ends up 12-1 let’s say, misses the CFP, KSU would get the higher seeded bowl game vs TCU who has the better record and higher overall ranking? That seems odd. I thought the “committee” had the power to place teams in the NY6 bowls as they see fit?

Wexahu

So IF TCU loses to KSU and ends up 12-1 let’s say, misses the CFP, KSU would get the higher seeded bowl game vs TCU who has the better record and higher overall ranking? That seems odd. I thought the “committee” had the power to place teams in the NY6 bowls as they see fit?
I don’t know what the rule is there, but from what I hear the conference “champion” plays in the Sugar Bowl unless they are a CFP team. Don’t know if the committee has much say but it’d be a damn shame if we end up in the Cotton Bowl against Tulane.

Let’s just win two more and remove all doubt.