• The KillerFrogs

The Receiver Problem

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I watch alot of college football, and no other team seems to have as many drops, lazy routes, and inability to get guys open. No, Cumbie never calls "41 Sluggo with a Dropped Pass, on Three," but the inability of guys to catch the damn ball, repeatedly and over multiple seasons, has to come back to the coaches and what they are or are not being taught at somepoint.
I wish that a Sluggo was called about 25 times during Saturday's game...

LawFrog504

The receivers are the absolute worst aspect of this team. Seriously reflect on that statement and all the god awful aspects of this team and then realize how bad our receivers are

Obviously we have had WAY too many drops where the ball should have been caught and there is no excuse for that. And while this is in no way something that is not rather obvious, I suspect if we had better route concepts that allowed the receivers to have more uncontested catches, they would catch more because it's both easier to catch the ball without a defender in your face and it's easier for the QB to throw a good pass to a receiver when they only have to throw to the receiver and not have to both throw to a receiver and locate the ball into a window where the defender cannot intercept the pass.

asleep003

Forget the ints/ penalties/ the inexperienced QB play / the fumbles/ etc etc. Forget all that miserable play.... and if we cut all those drops in half, we are most probably 6-3 or even possibly 7-2 this year.

HG73

Wrong.

It would have made it a much easier pick. The deflection caused the DB to have to reach up to catch it.

The pass from seven yards away was thrown hot and at the top of Sewo's reach.

Bad pass.
If Wells can't catch that pass he needs to move to tackle. Or defense.

HG73

I meant Sewo.

This is the biggest single problem on this team. No, not player identification. Drops. Our receivers cannot compare to ANY of our opponents. Receivers are on the field to catch the ball. Ours can't. Period. Coaching, technique, practice, whatever. Our receivers CANNOT catch the dam ball. Certified drive killers.

Wexahu

I meant Sewo.

This is the biggest single problem on this team. No, not player identification. Drops. Our receivers cannot compare to ANY of our opponents. Receivers are on the field to catch the ball. Ours can't. Period. Coaching, technique, practice, whatever. Our receivers CANNOT catch the dam ball. Certified drive killers.

It's a problem but I think the bigger problems are we a) can't run the ball with any consistency, b) our short yardage offense is pitiful and c) receivers aren't getting open enough, and that IMO is more to do with offensive design that the receivers themselves.

The WR as a group is not very good, no argument there, but while they aren't doing much to help the QB, the offense isn't doing much to help them either.

TX_Krötenechse

Bottom line is that we have the worst receiving corps in the B12 by a wide margin. Maybe the worst in the P5 - certainly bottom 5 or 10. Yes drops happen to everyone but TCU is the only team I have watched where any given well-thrown pass is still a tossup and where off-target but catchable balls are going in the dirt 90% of the time.

they can’t (or don’t) catch the ball.

they can’t (or don’t) run good routes. Some of that is on Cumbie for not designing good plays with mismatches (and most of our success seems to come on those rare occasions), but mostly it’s bad route running.

they can’t (or don’t, or won’t) block down the field. We’ve had to completely abandon the screen passing game for the simple reason that not a single wide receiver on this team is capable of blocking anyone, even a DB that is 6” shorter and 40 lbs lighter. This also has an impact on our running game since safeties and corners are never blocked and are able to make plays.

to sum up: they can’t run good routes, they can’t get open, they can’t catch, and they can’t block.

it’s coaching, it’s recruiting, it’s leadership. It sucks

Eight

Bottom line is that we have the worst receiving corps in the B12 by a wide margin. Maybe the worst in the P5 - certainly bottom 5 or 10. Yes drops happen to everyone but TCU is the only team I have watched where any given well-thrown pass is still a tossup and where off-target but catchable balls are going in the dirt 90% of the time.

they can’t (or don’t) catch the ball.

they can’t (or don’t) run good routes. Some of that is on Cumbie for not designing good plays with mismatches (and most of our success seems to come on those rare occasions), but mostly it’s bad route running.

they can’t (or don’t, or won’t) block down the field. We’ve had to completely abandon the screen passing game for the simple reason that not a single wide receiver on this team is capable of blocking anyone, even a DB that is 6” shorter and 40 lbs lighter. This also has an impact on our running game since safeties and corners are never blocked and are able to make plays.

to sum up: they can’t run good routes, they can’t get open, they can’t catch, and they can’t block.

it’s coaching, it’s recruiting, it’s leadership. It sucks

but how do you really feel about it?

Mean Purple

I watch a lot of games, and I have to believe that nearly every team I see their receivers are performing better than ours.
When you look at the unit as a whole, I agree that there are a lot of better units out there.

TJ Houshmandzedah was just on SXM ESPNU. In post NFL Pro Bowler career, he now trains a lot of up coming kids.
During the conversation he pointed out something that many kids are not getting these days in their 7 on 7 world. One is knowing how to be in the same spot and the right time consistantly. Not knowing how to time on a under center play action hitch or multi step hitch. They talked about getting separation at the top of the route. (knowing how to make a dig/cut and not lose speed - not have the shoulders come up- not have your arms move and give it away, etc.) Can't just be reps with the 1s to get timing. If the WR is not there consistently, it aint gonna happen. Makes it that much harder for the qb to time.

H0RNEDFR0G

Yeah you need people like Slanina to catch first downs on crossing routes.

Sewo didn't drop it - throw was too high/fast

2014 Slanina was DirecTV. 2015-17 Slanina was cable.

screen-shot-2015-07-24-at-9-49-51-pm.png