• The KillerFrogs

The Power, or Lack Thereof, of the Press

Eight

Reason being we need the big donors to buy him out. The AD probably only has so much to work with, throwing in the buy-out while paying the salary of a quality HC.

been mentioned/ discussed on this thread multiple times but would imagine that for most major programs the hiring and firing decisions are not being made by a single person and not without significant input from key alums/supporters

one reason why i have always found it funny when people mention that gary would not like it at another school because of the influence/ presence of alums/ booster that he doesn't have at tcu

he has that presence at tcu, but it creates a halo around his program

Last edited:

Fiscuits

If we had strong press in Fort Worth, print or news outlet, perhaps we wouldn't be on this decline.

No one truly questions LHCGP, and nothing would bring more attention to the powers that be than the press. We got a little lucky that national news outlets picked up LHCGPs bs rants about SMU, and maybe that could get a little something stirring, but there is NO ONE in that press room that is pushing LHCGP the way they should.

Why maybe due to a lack of personality, a lack of experience, or perhaps there are too many "fans" working the press.

A good reporter would be asking the tough questions and force LHCGP to consider them. I am sure that he had to have had someone reach out to him about his SMU bs.

If there was a strong reporter with an outlet that had strong readership, what kinds of questions would you ask?

Me, I'd ask the following:

1) What does Kill actually do? Why does there not seem to be any influence of a sensible, cohesive, game plan in the last two games?
2) Was not hiring an experienced QB coach a mistake for the development of Max Duggan?
3) SInce you took over ST coaching duties, in several instances, players were not on the field for special teams plays, and in some cases, valuable timeouts have been taken to compensate for this lack of personnel, and there have been some real head scratching decisions made by returners. is there any consideration going towards hiring a dedicated special teams coach?
4) For several years now, the team doesn't seem to have a consistent personality that comes from their coach, is being the defensive coordinator and special teams coach too distracting for you at this point in your career, and considering the lackluster, inconsistent play over the last 4 years?
5) Is there any thought to explore the offseason strength and conditioning program's goals and methods considering all the injuries to players that have plagued the team at the start of the year the last few years?
6) Why is Zach Evans too tired to get 25-30 carries a game? Is this a conditioning issue?
7) What strategical purpose does it serve to wear him out by flanking him out in empty sets 5-8 times a game. WOuldn't he be best served running the ball as opposed to being a decoy. Furthermore, what purpose does it serve to use Evans as a decoy, and then throw to the side of the field that you are using him as a decoy on.
8) Why does a fundamental football issue like tackling plague a coach who is considered a defensive guru?
9) It often seems that players are still getting defensive calls from the sideline at the snap of the ball, does that impact the defenses ability to be as aggressive as older LHCGP defenses were?
This is an excellent take and post. There are no more "journalists" anymore...especially concerning TCU Sports. It's ridiculous. Actual journalists would ask these types of questions. Mark Cohen (via GP's orders) would never allow this to happen.

I know Mac isn't popular here, but, he is as close to an objective journalist as we have...and objectively, his writing is fairly accurate. Not popular or what a TCU fan always wants to hear...but rarely wrong.

His articles have a "clickbait" tendency to them which I would assume is required by what's left of the the Startlegram...but Mac ain't skeered to ask an actual question.

Thus the reason you never see him allowed close to the TCU athletic department any more...which is a shame.

steelfrog

Tier 1
All Steel knows is that Steel does his gameday job of waking up, taking a dump, eating more, going to game, cheering, cursing, having a couple heart attacks, breaking furniture, and crying hisself to sleep.

So if Gary and his staff would just do their jobs all will be right with da woild.

Eight

All Steel knows is that Steel does his gameday job of waking up, taking a dump, eating more, going to game, cheering, cursing, having a couple heart attacks, breaking furniture, and crying hisself to sleep.

So if Gary and his staff would just do their jobs all will be right with da woild.

move to california and sue.

heck, if a racially hostile work environment is worth 137M then gary's coaching staff decisions and meacham's play calling are a gold mind

Last edited:

TRF51

I think the lack of coverage of the program is a result of the low energy and interest associated with the program. I have been watching Sickem 360 on YouTube and I am wondering why we don't have something like that. I think the lack of access to the program is an issue. No wonder we struggle to fill the stadium. The next coach needs to address this issue, we should be packing the Carter, tickets are cheap but something needs to be done to generate interest.

NORMLFROG

I think the lack of coverage of the program is a result of the low energy and interest associated with the program. I have been watching Sickem 360 on YouTube and I am wondering why we don't have something like that. I think the lack of access to the program is an issue. No wonder we struggle to fill the stadium. The next coach needs to address this issue, we should be packing the Carter, tickets are cheap but something needs to be done to generate interest.
You mean the Macarena isn't working?

NF

FrogCop19

think the problem is just as fiscuits has mentioned that gary has become bigger than the program and the athletic department, gary has gotten to a point that he is above question or reproach and short of his truly dong something terrible, a slide into mediocrity will never mar his image to some, heck many, and that keeps him from being questioned
Yeah, I can see how THAT would get him questioned...

Frogs1983

Reason being we need the big donors to buy him out. The AD probably only has so much to work with, throwing in the buy-out while paying the salary of a quality HC.
At this point I think the best we can hope for is Gary finishes up his remaining 2 years on his current deal and then retires. If Donati offers an extension, then Donati is the one that will need to be fired .

Froggish

been mentioned/ discussed on this thread multiple times but would imagine that for most major programs the hiring and firing decisions are not being made by a single person and not without significant input from key alums/supporters

one reason why i have always found it funny when people mention that gary would not like it at another school because of the influence/ presence of alums/ booster that he doesn't have at tcu

he has that presence at tcu, but it creates a halo around his program
TCUs large donor base isn’t all that football focused. At TCU they actually insulate GP. When he pretends he’s being picked on by the media or unfairly criticize they nod in agreement. Sometimes they even look baffled because they don’t follow along close enough to know he’s being criticized

Froggy Style

10) Can you hum us a few bars from your latest song?
11) If you don't coach to lose, then when you say you need to shut things down to rest people for the remainder of the season...isn't that conceding the loss? You realize it can't be both, correct?
12) If you conceded the loss...why did you leave 95% of the starters in the game to get tired or risk injury? It seems you were only worried about scoring more points and thus, signaling the other coach that you weren't still trying.
13) You quit calling timeouts trying to score, but did call timeouts to try to keep the other team from scoring. It seems your coaching decisions are really about preserving your stats, and not worried about taking normal risks to try and win a game. Is you large paycheck so close to retirement a conflict of interest?

Froggy Style

This is an excellent take and post. There are no more "journalists" anymore...especially concerning TCU Sports. It's ridiculous. Actual journalists would ask these types of questions. Mark Cohen (via GP's orders) would never allow this to happen.

I know Mac isn't popular here, but, he is as close to an objective journalist as we have...and objectively, his writing is fairly accurate. Not popular or what a TCU fan always wants to hear...but rarely wrong.

His articles have a "clickbait" tendency to them which I would assume is required by what's left of the the Startlegram...but Mac ain't skeered to ask an actual question.

Thus the reason you never see him allowed close to the TCU athletic department any more...which is a shame.
Unfortunately for us...Mac was writing non-stop critical articles when we were doing great. This is why so many had a problem with him. He could have had credibility...but now his articles will be considered by many as just the boy who cried wolf.