• The KillerFrogs

The Power, or Lack Thereof, of the Press

JugbandFrog

If we had strong press in Fort Worth, print or news outlet, perhaps we wouldn't be on this decline.

No one truly questions LHCGP, and nothing would bring more attention to the powers that be than the press. We got a little lucky that national news outlets picked up LHCGPs bs rants about SMU, and maybe that could get a little something stirring, but there is NO ONE in that press room that is pushing LHCGP the way they should.

Why maybe due to a lack of personality, a lack of experience, or perhaps there are too many "fans" working the press.

A good reporter would be asking the tough questions and force LHCGP to consider them. I am sure that he had to have had someone reach out to him about his SMU bs.

If there was a strong reporter with an outlet that had strong readership, what kinds of questions would you ask?

Me, I'd ask the following:

1) What does Kill actually do? Why does there not seem to be any influence of a sensible, cohesive, game plan in the last two games?
2) Was not hiring an experienced QB coach a mistake for the development of Max Duggan?
3) SInce you took over ST coaching duties, in several instances, players were not on the field for special teams plays, and in some cases, valuable timeouts have been taken to compensate for this lack of personnel, and there have been some real head scratching decisions made by returners. is there any consideration going towards hiring a dedicated special teams coach?
4) For several years now, the team doesn't seem to have a consistent personality that comes from their coach, is being the defensive coordinator and special teams coach too distracting for you at this point in your career, and considering the lackluster, inconsistent play over the last 4 years?
5) Is there any thought to explore the offseason strength and conditioning program's goals and methods considering all the injuries to players that have plagued the team at the start of the year the last few years?
6) Why is Zach Evans too tired to get 25-30 carries a game? Is this a conditioning issue?
7) What strategical purpose does it serve to wear him out by flanking him out in empty sets 5-8 times a game. WOuldn't he be best served running the ball as opposed to being a decoy. Furthermore, what purpose does it serve to use Evans as a decoy, and then throw to the side of the field that you are using him as a decoy on.
8) Why does a fundamental football issue like tackling plague a coach who is considered a defensive guru?
9) It often seems that players are still getting defensive calls from the sideline at the snap of the ball, does that impact the defenses ability to be as aggressive as older LHCGP defenses were?

Salfrog

Tier 1
If we had strong press in Fort Worth, print or news outlet, perhaps we wouldn't be on this decline.

No one truly questions LHCGP, and nothing would bring more attention to the powers that be than the press. We got a little lucky that national news outlets picked up LHCGPs bs rants about SMU, and maybe that could get a little something stirring, but there is NO ONE in that press room that is pushing LHCGP the way they should.

Why maybe due to a lack of personality, a lack of experience, or perhaps there are too many "fans" working the press.

A good reporter would be asking the tough questions and force LHCGP to consider them. I am sure that he had to have had someone reach out to him about his SMU bs.

If there was a strong reporter with an outlet that had strong readership, what kinds of questions would you ask?

1) What does Kill actually do? Why does there not seem to be any influence of a sensible, cohesive, game plan in the last two games?
2) Was not hiring an experienced QB coach a mistake for the development of Max Duggan?
3) SInce you took over ST coaching duties, in several instances, players were not on the field for special teams plays, and in some cases, valuable timeouts have been taken to compensate for this lack of personnel, and there have been some real head scratching decisions made by returners. is there any consideration going towards hiring a dedicated special teams coach?
4) For several years now, the team doesn't seem to have a consistent personality that comes from their coach, is being the defensive coordinator and special teams coach too distracting for you at this point in your career, and considering the lackluster, inconsistent play over the last 4 years?
5) Is there any thought to explore the offseason strength and conditioning program's goals and methods considering all the injuries to players that have plagued the team at the start of the year the last few years?
6) Why is Zach Evans too tired to get 25-30 carries a game? Is this a conditioning issue?
7) What strategical purpose does it serve to wear him out by flanking him out in empty sets 5-8 times a game. WOuldn't he be best served running the ball as opposed to being a decoy. Furthermore, what purpose does it serve to use Evans as a decoy, and then throw to the side of the field that you are using him as a decoy on.
8) Why does a fundamental football issue like tackling plague a coach who is considered a defensive guru?
9) It often seems that players are still getting defensive calls from the sideline at the snap of the ball, does that impact the defenses ability to be as aggressive as older LHCGP defenses were?
I vote for you taking over for Muck & Drew. Ask the hard questions and keep grilling him until he gives actual straight answers. Never let him off the hook.

HFrog1999

C2320371-7329-41D7-9130-3ED3E1E562F2.jpeg

Attachments

• 244897BD-C36E-4CCB-851B-4808E74B8F62.jpeg
    244897BD-C36E-4CCB-851B-4808E74B8F62.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0

JugbandFrog

Asking hard questions doesn’t mean your going to get any answers. In fact I’d wager you might have a hard time getting a press pass to the next game
Which is why if it was a reporter with a strong customer base, it’d be hard to keep that person out.

PO Frog

I hate the empty set as well but good OCs absolutely love it for matchup purposes. And Joe Burrow or someone new in the NFL (can’t remember who because I don’t watch or care) was off the charts good every time they used that formation according to something I read last week. Sadly, I’m not sure we see the benefits for whatever reason that may be…

Asking hard questions doesn’t mean your going to get any answers. In fact I’d wager you might have a hard time getting a press pass to the next game
Well I’ll [ hundin] publicly until a reporter gets access. GP made this bed and he forgot his motto that if I don’t win I shouldn’t be here. He is in total denial. The more I think about it I want GP gone at the end of the season. Remember when football was fun? It’s literally been 5 years and that season was terrifying (flashbacks of KH throwing a pass longer then 10 yards). I love prior success he brought but we deserve better right now.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Seems like more stars more problems.

Also I am not sure we have been the same since Bumpas retired.

Jug send your questions to the FWST, DMN, 247 reporters that cover TCU. Maybe they will ask. They likely won't get direct answers but once someone starts asking them it is likely others pick up on them and air them.

Froggish

As a former defensive coordinator empty sets can be really difficult to defend. Especially if you have a QB who is a quick decision maker. Having said that it’s harder when an Offense shifts or motions in and out of empty rather than shows it from the jump. It forces a LB or Nickel to make a coverage call.

IMO The Frogs just aren’t multiple enough. Not enough movement presnap to try and get the 2nd or 3rd level read matchup they want. Could do a better job of putting defensive players in conflict

Paul in uhh

As I said before, unless we win out somehow, give GP an ultimatum at the end of the year: replace the dead weight on your coaching staff or retire. Wayyyy too many longtime assistants just lingering around who haven’t ever been offered jobs elsewhere.

TCU has national appeal and deep pockets - bring in a real OC with an exciting scheme, a real OL coach, a real QB coach, a real ST coach, etc. and tell your friends goodbye.

When is the last time we had a thrilling scheme?
When is the last time we had a dominant OL?
When is the last time we had a QB who could take over a game?
When is the last time ST didn’t feel like a total crapshoot?

Our WR and RB units are the strongest on the team and they happen to also be coached by recent hires with no prior connection to GP. No groomsmen or assistants from New Mexico in 1997. Imagine that.

Eight

unless the media are in a position to hold gary accountable and i don't mean in the written or electronic mediums but actually hold him accountable in his job they aren't deterring this decline

would it be nice to have real questions asked or not be condescending to the very people who pay for their product?

definitely, but in all honesty, the media has as much ability to stop this down turn as anyone posting on this site

JugbandFrog

unless the media are in a position to hold gary accountable and i don't mean in the written or electronic mediums but actually hold him accountable in his job they aren't deterring this decline

would it be nice to have real questions asked or not be condescending to the very people who pay for their product?

definitely, but in all honesty, the media has as much ability to stop this down turn as anyone posting on this site
I believe they used to though. The people who make the decisions don’t like bad press, but then again, after the whole drug thing, I bet LHCGP has some dirt on someone big.

Eight

I believe they used to though. The people who make the decisions don’t like bad press, but then again, after the whole drug thing, I bet LHCGP has some dirt on someone big.

think the problem is just as fiscuits has mentioned that gary has become bigger than the program and the athletic department, gary has gotten to a point that he is above question or reproach and short of his truly dong something terrible, a slide into mediocrity will never mar his image to some, heck many, and that keeps him from being questioned

TAINTed frog

think the problem is just as fiscuits has mentioned that gary has become bigger than the program and the athletic department, gary has gotten to a point that he is above question or reproach and short of his truly dong something terrible, a slide into mediocrity will never mar his image to some, heck many, and that keeps him from being questioned
Yep. The idea that Donati or CDC could get rid of Gary is laughable. Until the biggest donors get tired of him or he leaves to strum his guitar in Nashville, we’re stuck with him.

JugbandFrog

Yep. The idea that Donati or CDC could get rid of Gary is laughable. Until the biggest donors get tired of him or he leaves to strum his guitar in Nashville, we’re stuck with him.
Hmmm..:maybe that’s how we do it. Hire some chinese and russian bot farms to hype up his music, give him over 2 million followers, and convince him to leave it all behind and become a country music superstar!