• The KillerFrogs

The Post LHCGP Coach Discussion

Mean Purple

Hire Neuheisel.
Rick had the worst dang luck. He had times where really, really bad ref calls, basically cost his team monumental seasons. Heck, he once had to argue with the refs that they could not enforce a rule that does not exist. Conference office called on Monday to apologize ... after it cost his team the game, and a run.

At least we would not have a repeat in a night in memphis where a head coach not knowing the rules didn't argue that the ball should have went over on downs.

Neuheisel's time in law school game him some sharpness. His hunger to out recruit folks was not bad either.

Fiscuits

I have been (recently) in some facilities of some big blue bloods. You would be shocked at how crappy their facilities look compared to ours.
In programs across the country , big Programs like Clemson, they use TCU as where they want to be. Clemson already did (and then some) but comparatively speaking...there are none nicer and more complete. College or Pro.

Wexahu

well, because his history in the Power 5. Also, See Houston game.
Don't kid yourselves in thinking that his SMU squad would be doing just as well in the Big 12. And coaching against most of those teams is no where near the challenge of coaching against the P5 where the players close in with much more speed, size and talent on average.

His 4-year history at one of the worst P5 schools that cares little about football?

Well, no [ Finebaum ] SMU wouldn't be doing as well if they were in the Big 12. It's SMU. He has to recruit to a program that is in an inferior league and draws about 10k fans per game. And even then, they are at least AS good as half the Big 12 teams right now. What were Art Briles' credentials before Baylor hired him? I'll tell you what they were.....34-28 at C-USA Houston, never better than 8-4, and zero bowl wins. This idea that anything but massive sustained success (no matter where they coach or how challenging the job is) should disqualify a coach is insane. You gotta look a deeper into it than that.

Nothing in Sonny Dykes record should disqualify him from being on the short list of candidates.

Mean Purple

In programs across the country , big Programs like Clemson, they use TCU as where they want to be. Clemson already did (and then some) but comparatively speaking...there are none nicer and more complete. College or Pro.
true.
I rode the slide at Clemson not too long ago. They did a good job with that.
Odd side note: I can see Dabo staying there at Clemson when Saban retires.

ticketfrog123

Gary didn't always make $6 Mil at TCU either. Don't know what he made when initially promoted from D coordinator to HC at TCU, but pretty sure it wasn't anywhere near the coin he was banking recently.
Big difference between paying a 3rd season HC than a 20 plus year HC with skins on the wall.
Some of you guys must be retired or never interviewed for / hired others for jobs.

The market pays X. This is a top 15 job - the head coach will get over $4mm to start plus incentives and some escalation.

No other big program pays below $4mm right now.

HFrog1999

I say we go after Coach Beard

giphy.gif

Jackson

Nebraska thought their HC position was a coveted position until they found out it wasn’t. After winning several Natl Championships and being a perennial Top 10 program they haven’t found a coach who can get it done for 20 years. There latest can’t miss is Nebraska legend QB Scott Frost ($6M / yr) who is looking at a 3-9 season and his 4th losing season in a row! Nebraska had Tom Osborne….TCU had Gary Paterson.
ZERO of Nebraska’s Head Coaches since Osborne had College Head Coaching experience and they all have failed. Neb is a great example of what we DON’t want to become!

DelFrog

Nebraska thought their HC position was a coveted position until they found out it wasn’t. After winning several Natl Championships and being a perennial Top 10 program they haven’t found a coach who can get it done for 20 years. There latest can’t miss is Nebraska legend QB Scott Frost ($6M / yr) who is looking at a 3-9 season and his 4th losing season in a row! Nebraska had Tom Osborne….TCU had Gary Paterson.
ZERO of Nebraska’s Head Coaches since Osborne had College Head Coaching experience and they all have failed. Neb is a great example of what we DON’t want to become!
Osborne‘s last five years he was 54-6, Patterson’s last five… 32-25. Seems like we were well on the way to becoming like Nebraska.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Trent Dilfer, former Ravens QB is now coaching at a private Christian high school in Nashville. He is on FSN every Monday breaking down NFL games, knows his schemes, sounds very bright. Of course don’t know if he can recruit, but that Super Bowl ring couldn’t hurt. Just sounds like a real Xs and Os guy. I think he has lost maybe. Two games and they were against much bigger schools.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I wouldn't say Frank Solich was a failure.
"Osborne retired after the 1997 national championship season and named Solich as his successor. Solich directed the Huskers to six consecutive bowl games, including his 2001 squad, which started 11–0 but was beaten by Colorado 62–36 in the last regular season game. Despite that loss and failing to qualify for the Big 12 championship game, the Huskers still made it into the national championship game (ahead of #3 Colorado and #2 Oregon) in the Rose Bowl against Miami. Nebraska was beaten 37–14. Solich did win at least nine games in five of those six seasons, and finished among the top 10 teams in the nation three times. Solich compiled a 58–19 record (.753) at Nebraska."

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Trent Dilfer, former Ravens QB is now coaching at a private Christian high school in Nashville. He is on FSN every Monday breaking down NFL games, knows his schemes, sounds very bright. Of course don’t know if he can recruit, but that Super Bowl ring couldn’t hurt. Just sounds like a real Xs and Os guy. I think he has lost maybe. Two games and they were against much bigger schools.
For a while, some years ago, ESPN had a Sunday evening show opposite the NBC pre-game commercialfest featuring Berman, Tommy Jackson and Trent Dilfer breaking down the games from earlier that day, and doing so in a very intelligent manner. I found it to be one of the best football analysis shows I had ever seen, because it didn't take the audience for granted and expected you to know a reasonable bit about the game. They took no prisoners and told it like it was, and it was a breath of fresh air in a dopey, hype-laden world of sports pimpage.

It's a wonder ESPN even put it on...