• The KillerFrogs

The midweek, mid-day Game Thread!

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
WE WON!!! 6-2
ren_and_stimpy02_1024.jpg

froginmn

Up until this season if the batter was ruled to not to have tried to avoid the pitch, or moved to intentionally be hit, he was not awarded first base, but the pitch (assuming it was not in the strike zone) was still counted as a ball. The new rule makes it an automatic strike regardless of where it was at.
OK it's starting to come into focus for me. But the new rule says if he moves to intentionally be hit, it's a strike and he isn't awarded first.

If he freezes (doesn't try to avoid) and he's hit by a ball outside the strike zone, he's awarded first.

So the new emphasis is on a player moving to be hit - no award, and it's a strike regardless of pitch location.

Copied below:

To penalize the batter with a strike and not award first base if, in the judgement of the umpire, the batter makes an intentional movement to be hit by a pitch, regardless of where the pitch is located.

Rationale To provide guidance in enforcing the hit by pitch rule and to deter batters from attempting to be hit by the pitch. “Freezing” by a batter is not considered making an intentional movement. A batter who freezes inside the batter’s box and who is hit by a pitch shall be awarded first base.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Liked for the Peter Max reference
That guy has always stood out in his own special level of weird. As a pup, making the occasional trip across the Brownsville-Matamoros bridge, on the way back into the U.S. the welcoming signs were all Peter Max things (This was the 70's, so...) and I thought they were kind of cool. There were certainly different. The Mexicans probably thought we were deliberately insulting them.

Flying back from Paris some couple of decades ago, this airliner was my ride: http://www.themaxcollector.com/2012/04/remembering-peter-max-continental.html

He didn't just paint the outside, but designed a lot of the interior decorating and lighting. Very cool aircraft! And, after riding halfway around the planet on Airbus equipment, it made me fall right back in love with the good folks at the Boeing Aircraft Company.

Latest posts