• The KillerFrogs

the mid-summer thread of over exuberance for the 2022 tcu football season

Eight

as we sit here on june 30th we find ourselves 64 days away from the frogs 2022 football season opener on a friday night in boulder, colorado and about to hit the doldrums of the sport world

baseball has still over 80 games just to get to the play-off and football is in that dreaded deadzone where you just hope you don't ever read someone got hurt or did something stupid

the perfect time to voice our overly exuberant expectations and hopes which in most cases has no real basis, but also tend to be as accurate as the information provided by many "experts"

so what are you interested in seeing from this program? which older players are you looking to see how they respond to the new coaches and systems? which new players?

the one thing i ask is avoid the low hanging fruit of the quarterback batter. think we all agree the play must get better in terms of consistency, but lets stretch ourselves a bit because we still have 64 days until the season starts

which group on the offensive side of the ball am i most interested in watching how they have progressed?
offensive line for me is critical. the play has been way to inconsistent, not very physical at times, and i think the best way to take pressure off the quarterback position is the frogs being able to consistently run the ball

time for some of those 3rh, 4th, and 5th year players to take big steps forward, but more importantly are the group of younger interior linemen who now have been in the program 2-3 years. the frogs really, really, really need someone from barlow, bolticoff, and hayes emerge and very possibly start as i am not sure if the frogs can get a full effect season from harris or lanz

which offensive player new to the program do you believe has the biggest impact this year?
alan ali is critical for the success of the offensive line. the interior line hasn't really been stable since the 2017 season and the frogs have struggled greatley against bigger interior defensive linemen the past few years.

ali is a 5th year senior who knows the system and paired with avila should give the frogs two quality interior linemen and if paired side by side at guard-center should give the offensive stability to at least one side

dj allen is an incoming freshman who just made plays in high school with the ball in his hands be it receiver, slot, or quarterback

which older player on offensive are you expecting to break out this year?
realize the quarterback position will have a huge impact on this happening, but it is time we stop seeing glimpses and get a full season out of the julio jones starter kit that is quentin johnson. there is no another receiver on the roster who can do what quentin can do in regards to adjusting to the ball in the air or being dangerous after the catch with his size, strength, agility and speed

realize fully in sonny's offense the system was emphasized over creating mismatches an opportunities for a specific receiver in attacking a defense. always seemed to me that dykes at smu put his receivers in great situations against tcu year after year and i hope we see this with quentin

what i truly hope that what we see next spring is quentin going very, very high in the nfl draft because he had the year all that ability says he is capable of having because it will make success for the frogs from more than just him

which group on the defensive side of the ball am i most interested in watching how they have progressed?
thought about this some and it is the group that has been mia as playmakers for a few years now, linebackers

yes i know that ty summers is with the packers, wallow with the texans, and howard with the rams. go back and look at the tfl's and turnovers created by the linebacker position for the frogs starting from 2014 going to last year and tell me if you notice a trend

summer and wallows racked up a huge number of tackles, but how many of those were 3,4, 5 yards down field. not knocking them individually, just pointing out that something changed in the defense and the frogs weren't getting the big plays that they had consistently gotten from this position for well over a decade

heck, dee winters has 19 career tfl's and paul dawson topped that in one season and that wasn't in a run heavy era of football

the new defense must get plays from the linebacker position and the frogs have an interesting group at linebacker starting with the winters, the mythical marcel brooks who to this point has merely been the stuff of bump sticker and t-shirt slogan "free marcel brooks" , banks, and a cluster of transfers

which defensive player new to the program do you believe has the biggest impact this year?

an easy answer would be damonic williams because the frogs must find a guy who can handle the nose position and he seemed to get more mention than any other frog defensive linemen in the spring

a wild card though might be chace biddle at safety. the frogs have got 6-8 upper classmen at the safety position who have been in the program a long time, played a good deal in some cases, but for some reason have struggled to be a consistent contributor for the defense. injuries, mental mistakes, whatever, i could see that a highly regarded, very athletic freshman could push for playing time if the frogs just can't get consistent play from those older players at safety

which older player on defensive are you expecting to break out this year?
i am a member of the free "marcel brooks" movement and there is a part of me that would very much love to have the frogs win in austin in november sealed when jaquaze sorrells tosses aside the highly paid texas offensive line, ragdawls ewers causing a fumble and another transfer, and the ball is picked up and ran in by brooks for a touchdown after which marcel displays a t-shirt under his jersey that reads "ain't no receiver" but i will admit that my doctor told me to stop drinking the bourbon i bought in mexico

brooks actually is an interesting choice and sorrells is started to rival some of the frogs all time milk carton recruits, but my choice is terrell cooper. cooper showed some flashes when ross was lost for the season, but be it too much weight to play inside, playing inside, injuries, or whatever he looked completely disinterested last year

here is to hoping new staff, new opportunity playing more over and on the inside shoulder of the tackle , and the opportunity of one last season results in the cooper bringing some toughness and strength to the frogs defensive line.

fire away

LVH

I have zero expectations at all. No one knows what to expect and anyone who thinks they know what to expect is just wish casting or doom casting.

The 2 positions that matter, OL and DL, no one knows!

It's just like basketball this past season, I went in with zero expectations at all since it was basically a brand new roster, no one knew what to expect.

FrogCop19

I look forward to seeing the defense play with heart again. From everything I've read, it seems they are invested and having fun at the same time, and I am a firm believer that when you enjoy what you're doing, you will play with a purpose. That's what we've been missing, IMO. Dykes very much seems like a player's coach, and I think he has their attention in a way Patterson hadn't in a few years. I also believe that he has a more solid "base" to build from than any other place he's been, which is going to translate to wins.

GO FROGS!

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
as we sit here on june 30th we find ourselves 64 days away from the frogs 2022 football season opener on a friday night in boulder, colorado and about to hit the doldrums of the sport world

baseball has still over 80 games just to get to the play-off and football is in that dreaded deadzone where you just hope you don't ever read someone got hurt or did something stupid

the perfect time to voice our overly exuberant expectations and hopes which in most cases has no real basis, but also tend to be as accurate as the information provided by many "experts"

so what are you interested in seeing from this program? which older players are you looking to see how they respond to the new coaches and systems? which new players?

the one thing i ask is avoid the low hanging fruit of the quarterback batter. think we all agree the play must get better in terms of consistency, but lets stretch ourselves a bit because we still have 64 days until the season starts

which group on the offensive side of the ball am i most interested in watching how they have progressed?
offensive line for me is critical. the play has been way to inconsistent, not very physical at times, and i think the best way to take pressure off the quarterback position is the frogs being able to consistently run the ball

time for some of those 3rh, 4th, and 5th year players to take big steps forward, but more importantly are the group of younger interior linemen who now have been in the program 2-3 years. the frogs really, really, really need someone from barlow, bolticoff, and hayes emerge and very possibly start as i am not sure if the frogs can get a full effect season from harris or lanz

which offensive player new to the program do you believe has the biggest impact this year?
alan ali is critical for the success of the offensive line. the interior line hasn't really been stable since the 2017 season and the frogs have struggled greatley against bigger interior defensive linemen the past few years.

ali is a 5th year senior who knows the system and paired with avila should give the frogs two quality interior linemen and if paired side by side at guard-center should give the offensive stability to at least one side

dj allen is an incoming freshman who just made plays in high school with the ball in his hands be it receiver, slot, or quarterback

which older player on offensive are you expecting to break out this year?
realize the quarterback position will have a huge impact on this happening, but it is time we stop seeing glimpses and get a full season out of the julio jones starter kit that is quentin johnson. there is no another receiver on the roster who can do what quentin can do in regards to adjusting to the ball in the air or being dangerous after the catch with his size, strength, agility and speed

realize fully in sonny's offense the system was emphasized over creating mismatches an opportunities for a specific receiver in attacking a defense. always seemed to me that dykes at smu put his receivers in great situations against tcu year after year and i hope we see this with quentin

what i truly hope that what we see next spring is quentin going very, very high in the nfl draft because he had the year all that ability says he is capable of having because it will make success for the frogs from more than just him

which group on the defensive side of the ball am i most interested in watching how they have progressed?
thought about this some and it is the group that has been mia as playmakers for a few years now, linebackers

yes i know that ty summers is with the packers, wallow with the texans, and howard with the rams. go back and look at the tfl's and turnovers created by the linebacker position for the frogs starting from 2014 going to last year and tell me if you notice a trend

summer and wallows racked up a huge number of tackles, but how many of those were 3,4, 5 yards down field. not knocking them individually, just pointing out that something changed in the defense and the frogs weren't getting the big plays that they had consistently gotten from this position for well over a decade

heck, dee winters has 19 career tfl's and paul dawson topped that in one season and that wasn't in a run heavy era of football

the new defense must get plays from the linebacker position and the frogs have an interesting group at linebacker starting with the winters, the mythical marcel brooks who to this point has merely been the stuff of bump sticker and t-shirt slogan "free marcel brooks" , banks, and a cluster of transfers

which defensive player new to the program do you believe has the biggest impact this year?

an easy answer would be damonic williams because the frogs must find a guy who can handle the nose position and he seemed to get more mention than any other frog defensive linemen in the spring

a wild card though might be chace biddle at safety. the frogs have got 6-8 upper classmen at the safety position who have been in the program a long time, played a good deal in some cases, but for some reason have struggled to be a consistent contributor for the defense. injuries, mental mistakes, whatever, i could see that a highly regarded, very athletic freshman could push for playing time if the frogs just can't get consistent play from those older players at safety

which older player on defensive are you expecting to break out this year?
i am a member of the free "marcel brooks" movement and there is a part of me that would very much love to have the frogs win in austin in november sealed when jaquaze sorrells tosses aside the highly paid texas offensive line, ragdawls ewers causing a fumble and another transfer, and the ball is picked up and ran in by brooks for a touchdown after which marcel displays a t-shirt under his jersey that reads "ain't no receiver" but i will admit that my doctor told me to stop drinking the bourbon i bought in mexico

brooks actually is an interesting choice and sorrells is started to rival some of the frogs all time milk carton recruits, but my choice is terrell cooper. cooper showed some flashes when ross was lost for the season, but be it too much weight to play inside, playing inside, injuries, or whatever he looked completely disinterested last year

here is to hoping new staff, new opportunity playing more over and on the inside shoulder of the tackle , and the opportunity of one last season results in the cooper bringing some toughness and strength to the frogs defensive line.

fire away
You bought Bourbon in Mexico?

The LB problem has a lot to do with the DL problem: We ain't had one. Let's hope that we have some size and strength on the D-Line that ties up blockers and allows the LBs to dart in and make the stop in the hole. A nice DE with speed and size who can properly tear the spleen out of opposing QBs would be nice, too.

Paul in uhh

Excited to see how the QB position improves under Dykes - hoping that Chandler or Max can actually be reliable.. and by that I mean significantly more TDs than picks and consistency in getting the ball to our WRs

Excited to see how we use the TEs and Gunner Henderson.

On defense I’m hoping to see improvement in the run game and more aggression overall. Our guys have played scared for too darn long. Release the hounds!

I don’t expect a ton but 7 wins or less and I will be disappointed.

Endless Purple

fire away
Ok, I will go for the low hanging fruit.

I have not seen much on how they are at the plate or looked for any dual sport QBs, but I think Duggan will have an edge at the plate with more power simply becaue he is the biggest. Morris might be better if he is focused on hitting for average and brings in some base stealing. I might think the same about Jackson, but just have not seen him play enough to decide. Nothing on the other QBs.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Ok, I will go for the low hanging fruit.

I have not seen much on how they are at the plate or looked for any dual sport QBs, but I think Duggan will have an edge at the plate with more power simply becaue he is the biggest. Morris might be better if he is focused on hitting for average and brings in some base stealing. I might think the same about Jackson, but just have not seen him play enough to decide. Nothing on the other QBs.
But, can he beat the shift?

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan

The LB problem has a lot to do with the DL problem: We ain't had one. Let's hope that we have some size and strength on the D-Line that ties up blockers and allows the LBs to dart in and make the stop in the hole. A nice DE with speed and size who can properly tear the spleen out of opposing QBs would be nice, too.
GO FROGS; MAKE IT HURT
KNOCK THEIR DAUBERS IN THE DIRT!
REACH DOWN THEIR THROATS,
TEAR OUT THEIR GIZZARDS;
MAKE 'EM SORRY THEY PLAYED THE HORNED LIZZARDS

I had a team-specific verse just for 12 November:

RUN YOU LONGHORNS--BEST YOU FLEE.
SCURRY OFF TO THE SEC!
THE FROGS WILL GUT YOU -- IT'S NO GUESS,
AND LEAVE YOUR BODIES PENIS-LESS.

Perhaps a tad too strong?

Last edited:

Palliative Care

Don’t forget that the defense is a new scheme so new players were needed. The questions are they the right players and can they play well together at some point in the season. Yes at first we can expect missed assignments, incorrect reads and being out of place at times. However as the season progresses you might be pleasantly surprised. I believe in importance of chemistry and I saw that in the spring practice I attended. I could be wrong but I doubt it. This team wants and expects to play well and win. That worth a couple of close games a season.

asleep003

Lol ! ... I'll just go with the opposing QB needs to go down with in the 1st 10 plays and he needs to go down hard !