• The KillerFrogs

The Mazey family needs our help. Team Wammer.

TCURiggs

That's awful. I missed most of the game today, so didn't hear anything about this, but how in the world does a collision on the baseball field end up being that bad? What happened?

Purp

That's awful. I missed most of the game today, so didn't hear anything about this, but how in the world does a collision on the baseball field end up being that bad? What happened?
They talked about it in last night's game too. Had to be some weird freak incident. I've never seen much detail on the how.

froginmn

I'm THAT guy, responding even though I don't have an answer, but I have a story that should help explain. My daughter was a softball player and was pitching in a game when she induced an infield pop up. Some coaches say the pitcher should never catch a pop, but this was right at her and she made the catch. However, the 1B came charging over and collided with her as she did. Not a bad play; but the 1B didn't hear my daughter call for it.

My daughter had a concussion that lasted a few weeks. And that was an innocent collision where she wasn't even moving. If you have two players charging hard to make a play and they collide, it can be much worse and I suspect it was something like that, or a baserunner collision, etc. I've seen a couple ugly collisions with two baseball OF's running hard to catch a ball in a gap as well.

LisaLT

It was a collision in the outfield with the wall. Broke many bones in his face and suffered a traumatic brain injury as well. Horrible.

PurpleBlood87

I'm THAT guy, responding even though I don't have an answer, but I have a story that should help explain. My daughter was a softball player and was pitching in a game when she induced an infield pop up. Some coaches say the pitcher should never catch a pop, but this was right at her and she made the catch. However, the 1B came charging over and collided with her as she did. Not a bad play; but the 1B didn't hear my daughter call for it.

My daughter had a concussion that lasted a few weeks. And that was an innocent collision where she wasn't even moving. If you have two players charging hard to make a play and they collide, it can be much worse and I suspect it was something like that, or a baserunner collision, etc. I've seen a couple ugly collisions with two baseball OF's running hard to catch a ball in a gap as well.

He hit the outfield fence.

PurpleBlood87

Makes sense, if he's running at a high speed in that situation. I assumed collision because in the video they said he was a SS.

Mostly, just glad that he seems to be on the road to recovery.

Maybe he plays SS and OF? Also saw video where he was playing hockey. Think he is just a good athlete. Saw hockey video of their daughter also.

This is what I found.

Morgantown, West Virginia – Weston Mazey, the young son of West Virginia baseball coach, Randy Mazey, has been hospitalized for the past few days with a serious injury following a collision with the outfield wall during a baseball game, according to reports.

froginmn

Maybe he plays SS and OF? Also saw video where he was playing hockey. Think he is just a good athlete. Saw hockey video of their daughter also.

This is what I found.

Morgantown, West Virginia – Weston Mazey, the young son of West Virginia baseball coach, Randy Mazey, has been hospitalized for the past few days with a serious injury following a collision with the outfield wall during a baseball game, according to reports.
I'm uncomfortable with the warning tracks today. Seems like they should be deeper, and on fields with turf there's no good way to feel the track in most cases.

Relying on hearing "wall wall wall" when you're going full speed doesn't work.

Pharm Frog

I'm uncomfortable with the warning tracks today. Seems like they should be deeper, and on fields with turf there's no good way to feel the track in most cases.

Relying on hearing "wall wall wall" when you're going full speed doesn't work.

I agree with you on several fronts but the primary thing is the warning tracks need to be “warning” tracks and not different color carpeting. I’m an admitted traditionalist on baseball things but for some reason I like the idea of the 1st base safety base. The width of the base was probably established when the average shoe size was 9 or 10 and most ball players tipped the scales at 155-165lbs. Never gonna eliminate risk but can reduce it.

froginmn

I agree with you on several fronts but the primary thing is the warning tracks need to be “warning” tracks and not different color carpeting. I’m an admitted traditionalist on baseball things but for some reason I like the idea of the 1st base safety base. The width of the base was probably established when the average shoe size was 9 or 10 and most ball players tipped the scales at 155-165lbs. Never gonna eliminate risk but can reduce it.
Right. Should be dirt on turf fields, and I can't come up with a reason why they couldn't be 10-15 feet deep.

helcap

They are experimenting with bigger bases in AAA ball this season, going from 15X15 to 18X18