• The KillerFrogs

The Jamie Dixon MBB Recruiting Thread

Purp

I also think that this season could be bad vs. the fans expectations. Replacing all our senior influence with freshmen doesn't work everytime, it will require growth from some guys for sure if we want to make the tournament.
I think you're overstating the senior influence. Parrish and Shep were important pieces and certainly strong leaders for the team, but they weren't the only leaders. K Dub and A Rob were equally important leaders last season and they're back. We're also adding another senior leader as a grad transfer to mix with the other freshman talent coming in. This is not a team devoid of natural leaders who have demonstrated that proclivity before. We're going to love this team next year.

Purp

How many wins did you predict for our football team this year? 6? Sometimes things don't go the way you expect.
I predicted 15-0 bc we'll beat Baylor so bad it'll count as 2 wins. Book it.

You should maybe need your own words. Sometimes things don't go the way you expect. I'm not sure why you expect extreme disappointment this year, but you might ought to prepare for your expectations to be smashed by January.

SuperTFrog

I predicted 15-0 bc we'll beat Baylor so bad it'll count as 2 wins. Book it.

You should maybe need your own words. Sometimes things don't go the way you expect. I'm not sure why you expect extreme disappointment this year, but you might ought to prepare for your expectations to be smashed by January.

I was meaning last year in football.

I think the basketball team will be fine (for my expectations), I think they will be disappointing for all of the people that are expecting us to be a lock for an NCAA birth. I think we end up with between 5 and 9 conference wins. Anywhere in there meets my expectations.

CountryFrog

I was meaning last year in football.

I think the basketball team will be fine (for my expectations), I think they will be disappointing for all of the people that are expecting us to be a lock for an NCAA birth. I think we end up with between 5 and 9 conference wins. Anywhere in there meets my expectations.

Who the hell is saying that we're a lock for an NCAA bid?

SuperTFrog

Who the hell is saying that we're a lock for an NCAA bid?

I spent about 30 seconds looking on a basketball thread and found this:

No reason we can't finish Top 3 in the league.

I know he didn't use the word lock, but if you are talking about finishing in the top 3, you are thinking NCAA for sure.

My whole point is like it was last year during the football season. People had such high expectations for the team and then everyone got pissy when we didn't win as much as we thought. People need to enjoy the teams/seasons regardless. College sports are the best thing in the world and I know too many people that miss that because they are too busy bitching about how we should have done better. Or worse, they stop coming to games.

Go Frogs...hopefully we are a LOCK for the tourney but I am going to enjoy the ride no matter what.

Nick Danger

Well, I can't speak to the "we're a lock" part but there have been articles written by disinterested, non-TCU, basketball writers that mention TCU as a possible Top 25 next year team, again in the Top 3 or 4 in the conference. Even going with a Top 30 team in the preseason, just outside the Top 25, still would position TCU solidly in the middle of a 64 team playoff pool. So, I would say there's a very reasonable chance that the Frogs make it in this year and actually stay awhile, which is reflected in the optimistic comments of a number on here.

Borrowing a line from the Shawshank Redemption, "remember Red . . . hope is a good thing"!

Last edited:

TCUdirtbag

I know he didn't use the word lock, but if you are talking about finishing in the top 3, you are thinking NCAA for sure.

My whole point is like it was last year during the football season. People had such high expectations for the team and then everyone got pissy when we didn't win as much as we thought. People need to enjoy the teams/seasons regardless. College sports are the best thing in the world and I know too many people that miss that because they are too busy bitching about how we should have done better. Or worse, they stop coming to games.

Go Frogs...hopefully we are a LOCK for the tourney but I am going to enjoy the ride no matter what.

No one is saying TCU is a "lock" for the tournament. You are conflating possibilities (i.e., "there's no reason we can't") with guarantees (i.e., "lock") and putting words in peoples' mouths. Your whole point was trying to refute something no one said.

Casey T

Sounds to me like you're trying to go with the outlier opinion to be different. And I think it's dumb

SuperTFrog

I have hope. I also have a realistic picture of playing in the hardest conference in the land. Not trying to be contrarian, just trying to be realistic.

I think in two to three years we will be a perennial NCAA team for the foreseeable future. I hope it starts this year, but I think it will take a bit more time.

Back to recruiting...

We are a lock for the NCAA Tournament in Men's BBall I said it so what. We know we can win in the Big 12 have great returning starters and top recruits. Seven teams get in from our conference out of 10 maybe 8 this season. We will make the big dance the question should be what seeding will we get? Can we win a game or two in our bracket?

TCUdirtbag

I have hope. I also have a realistic picture of playing in the hardest conference in the land. Not trying to be contrarian, just trying to be realistic.

I think in two to three years we will be a perennial NCAA team for the foreseeable future. I hope it starts this year, but I think it will take a bit more time.

Back to recruiting...

If you're being "realistic," as you allege, you can't reasonably say NOT making the big dance would be anything short of disappointing on paper (barring injury or unexpected departures etc.). We just won the NIT and return most of our minutes. In year 2 of Dixon, that's reasonable. We may be a bubble team, sure, but that's where reasonable/realistic preseason expectations are. Embrace it.

Moose Stuff

I think this is going to be an extremely disappointing year for basketball. I think the fans are already thinking where the NCAA Tourney banner is going to be hung in the arena. We play in the toughest league in the country. We could have a team that would go to the tourney in any other league and win 6 conference games in the big12. Obviously, I hope we go but I think it is going to be harder than people think.

Sincerely,

Johnny Raincloud

Sounds like you're one of those people that prefers to say "I told you so" because they get their feelings hurt too bad when they try to be an optimist and it doesn't go their way.

Sincerely,

A man with actual testicles

Gunner

I agree that a couple seniors will be missed. But one thing I don't always consider, is, the improvement of the guys coming back. Can you imagine how much improvement Bane will bring next year. I actually think that Miller finally reached his potential in the ladder part of the season. He was hitting 3's at a high percentage at the end of last year. You can almost write it down that Fisher will get better.

Nobody looking forward to taking on the Frogs in 2017-18. The one question is, how much help will we get from new recruits. They are talented but how will they adjust to Big 12 grinder.