• The KillerFrogs

The Jamie Dixon MBB Recruiting Thread

Purp

Interested to know from those who know the basketball recruiting...  Was CTJ not able to get an audience with some of these kids to offer them?  I know Karviar Shepherd was a top end recruit and, for the most part, CTJ dramatically elevated the level of talent on his roster through recruiting, but these guys seem to be on a totally different level than the guys CTJ was in on.  At the very least, he wasn't in on this many top end guys in such a short space of time and I think that's the type of distinction I'm drawing here.  Am I wrong?

MTfrog5

He's really trying to get kids from the metroplex and at the very lease build ties with those coaches from what it seems. Will be interested who else will be on his staff

rifram09

Purp said:
Interested to know from those who know the basketball recruiting...  Was CTJ not able to get an audience with some of these kids to offer them?  I know Karviar Shepherd was a top end recruit and, for the most part, CTJ dramatically elevated the level of talent on his roster through recruiting, but these guys seem to be on a totally different level than the guys CTJ was in on.  At the very least, he wasn't in on this many top end guys in such a short space of time and I think that's the type of distinction I'm drawing here.  Am I wrong?
I'm not sure we can really say one way or the other at this point. It may be stretching it to say CJD is "in on" these guys. Getting a D1 offer is exciting to these kids, and they tweet about it even if they don't have any intention of going to that school. I don't know that we're really "in on" a kid until we at least pop up on the recruit's lists of potential landing spots (i.e., top 3, or top 5, whatever).

I'm not saying CJD isn't recruiting any better than CTJ did, I'm just saying I don't think we can necessarily draw that conclusion yet based on these tweets.

The conclusion we can fairly draw, IMO, is that CJD is swinging for the fences and carrying on as though he expects this type of talent to say yes to him. For that, I am hopeful and excited. If they do, then we can really get the ball rolling in a hurry.

Purp

Rifram09 said:
I'm not sure we can really say one way or the other at this point. It may be stretching it to say CJD is "in on" these guys. Getting a D1 offer is exciting to these kids, and they tweet about it even if they don't have any intention of going to that school. I don't know that we're really "in on" a kid until we at least pop up on the recruit's lists of potential landing spots (i.e., top 3, or top 5, whatever).

I'm not saying CJD isn't recruiting any better than CTJ did, I'm just saying I don't think we can necessarily draw that conclusion yet based on these tweets.

The conclusion we can fairly draw, IMO, is that CJD is swinging for the fences and carrying on as though he expects this type of talent to say yes to him. For that, I am hopeful and excited. If they do, then we can really get the ball rolling in a hurry.
I think this is in line with my observation.  I don't recall seeing a bunch of tweets like this with CTJ.  At this point these tweets haven't raised my recruiting expectations one iota, but I'm starting to get the sense that there is definitely a different strategy at play here and a concerted effort to appeal to top talent.

To be clear, I felt like the kind of talent CTJ brought in compared to the talent he inherited was a nice step forward.  And given that he brought that talent into a dilapidated DMC and the high school gym is a testament to how much better a recruiter he was than his predecessors.  This effort from CJD just seems like a completely different stratosphere from what we're used to.  Hope it works.

Salfrog

Tier 1
Sounds to me like CJD is taking the "Billy Tubbs" approach. Go after & offer top recruits. The worst they can say is "no", and there is always a chance one or more might say yes.

ECoastFrog said:
I wonder if I'm losing my mind. I went to multiple MBB games between 1974-1978, and I remember DMC being crowded-- maybe not sold out, but definitely big, impressive crowds. Am I wrong?

I think probably you are losing your mind.  76-77 we were O fer the conference.  Same year we were 0-11 in football.  BC replicated that rare feat this year, so the national media picked up TCU's historic futility.  I was at a lot of those games during that era, too.  I can remember thinking if we could only get a decent crowd that would get behind the team, we could maybe win a few.  Winning would have been the only thing that would have brought in the crowds.  Probably losing records all 4 years.  WE did have Thomas Bledsoe leading the nation in field goal percentage one year, I think.  I did not think he had much touch, but those balls sure rattled in pretty frequently.  End of the Johnnie Swaim era.

Looked up the records before posting:
Johnnie Swaim coach
74-75    9-16
75-76    11-16
76-77    3-23
Tim Somerville coach
77-78    4-22

Not much for a crowd to get in to in that 4 years.............

BleedNPurple

ECoastFrog said:
I wonder if I'm losing my mind. I went to multiple MBB games between 1974-1978, and I remember DMC being crowded-- maybe not sold out, but definitely big, impressive crowds. Am I wrong?
There were sell outs that were actually over DMC's capacity back then. Most games were sell outs back then - we didn't have anything to cheer about in football!

DMC's capacity was not much different then than it is now, about 7,800.  Looking at the records above, I bet we NEVER had a sell-out during that era.  Wow....incredible purple colored glasses for those memories.....

During that era, we often drew less than 20K for football unless we were playing ut, a+m, tech, arky or similar......

Basketball did not have alot more to write home about then......

One of our B-ball wins (out of 4 for the year) was amazingly enough against a+m at home in 77-78.

Thinking that we had frequent capacity B-ball crowds during 74-78 is a stroll down amnesia lane........

I would have to see records of actual attendance figures to come close to believing that........... 

PurplePutt

FROGLEGHOP said:
DMC's capacity was not much different then than it is now, about 7,800.  Looking at the records above, I bet we NEVER had a sell-out during that era.  Wow....incredible purple colored glasses for those memories.....

During that era, we often drew less than 20K for football unless we were playing ut, a+m, tech, arky or similar......

Basketball did not have alot more to write home about then......

One of our B-ball wins (out of 4 for the year) was amazingly enough against a+m at home in 77-78.

Thinking that we had frequent capacity B-ball crowds during 74-78 is a stroll down amnesia lane........

I would have to see records of actual attendance figures to come close to believing that........... 
I was there for sellouts in the 71 SWC championship season. It can't happen now with butts in seats because of all the season ticket holders. Same as football. Sellout on paper but lots of empty seats. They need to find a way to let folks in who want a ticket and can't get one. There needs to be an easy process for those with season tickets to leave them at will call for those who want them, especially students. It's BS. They are more interested in selling season tickets than filling the place up. 

Instead, CDC and the boys charge a $10 fee for leaving a basketball ticket at will call for someone. scheiss it. My seats will just go empty if I can't attend.

TCUdirtbag

PurplePutt said:
Instead, CDC and the boys charge a $10 fee for leaving a basketball ticket at will call for someone. (What Maniac & Illini Frog Do together) it. My seats will just go empty if I can't attend.
I've left tickets at will call on multiple occasions for various sports and have never been charged a fee.

You can also transfer tickets online through your gofrogs account. The third party vendor charges like five bucks per transfer (not per ticket) and either the transferor or transferee can pay it.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
PurplePutt said:
I was there for sellouts in the 71 SWC championship season. It can't happen now with butts in seats because of all the season ticket holders. Same as football. Sellout on paper but lots of empty seats. They need to find a way to let folks in who want a ticket and can't get one. There needs to be an easy process for those with season tickets to leave them at will call for those who want them, especially students. It's BS. They are more interested in selling season tickets than filling the place up. 

Instead, CDC and the boys charge a $10 fee for leaving a basketball ticket at will call for someone. (What Maniac & Illini Frog Do together) it. My seats will just go empty if I can't attend.
71, good year. Best night was the near riot against the Hitler Youth. Had all 6'7" of Larry Dibbles clawing his way over me to get at some Aggie. Was in the process of getting a yell leader sanitarium orderly shirt as a souvenir when the FWPD intervened...

cdsfrog

TCUdirtbag said:
I've left tickets at will call on multiple occasions for various sports and have never been charged a fee.

You can also transfer tickets online through your gofrogs account. The third party vendor charges like five bucks per transfer (not per ticket) and either the transferor or transferee can pay it.

This year? The fee was added this year and I haven't given away free baseball tickets because of it.
If thats true I would like my seats to get some use. I only can make 10-15 games a year.

Havent owned basketball seats since 2013 but the same will happen I'm sure.