• The KillerFrogs

The Harris/Biden Administration: Coming Together to Build Back Better

HFrog1999

ft_2022.08.05_electoralcollege_01.png

Overall fairly steady, but I am kinda surprised Republicans have been trending steadily up since 2016, up to 42% versus 27% in 2016. I guess it is more that there was a big decrease in Republicans supporting popular vote after the 2016 election that has now regressed to the mean a bit over time.

That’s why we’re a Constitutional Republic instead of a Democracy. Democracies tend to be unstable. IMO, if/when we go to a popular vote for President it won’t take long for the Presidency to become a Dictatorship

Zubaz

That’s why we’re a Constitutional Republic instead of a Democracy. Democracies tend to be unstable. IMO, if/when we go to a popular vote for President it won’t take long for the Presidency to become a Dictatorship
I am sure people said the same thing when we moved to the popular vote of Senators in the early 20th century, and there are a number of other Republics that directly elect their Presidents.

I'm kinda ambivalent either way, 99% of the time the winner of the EC is the winner of the popular vote anyway, but there's nothing about being a "constitutional republic" that precludes us from electing the president via popular vote instead of the electoral college.

Showing my ignorance, but is the electoral college part of a constitutional republic definition? IOW are there constitutional republics that elect their president with a popular vote?

Edit- missed @Zubaz post above

HFrog1999

I am sure people said the same thing when we moved to the popular vote of Senators in the early 20th century, and there are a number of other Republics that directly elect their Presidents.

I'm kinda ambivalent either way, 99% of the time the winner of the EC is the winner of the popular vote anyway, but there's nothing about being a "constitutional republic" that precludes us from electing the president via popular vote instead of the electoral college.

True, but I don’t think we’ll last long with a popular vote for President. The Big Cities will run the entire country like they run their respective states.

The Electoral College gives the “flyover” states at least some influence and representation

I do wish Senators were still elected by the state legislatures

True, but I don’t think we’ll last long with a popular vote for President. The Big Cities will run the entire country like they run their respective states.

The Electoral College gives the “flyover” states at least some influence and representation

I do wish Senators were still elected by the state legislatures
Practically it's only the votes in the states that are "close" that have influence on who wins the general election, which might be flyover or high population states. Voters in the vast majority of states have no "say" on the outcome one way or the other regardless of whether they are big, small, flyover, coastal. Last election it was basically voters in Georgia, NC, Arizona, Wisc, Pa, Nevada that decided the election. Actually kinda a diverse group.

If we have a close election, do we want voters in a few states or the whole country deciding the winner? As a voter in a state that is never competitive, I'd kinda like the idea that my vote would count the same as a state that is "close". I also think that all the strategic attention the close states get is kinda distorted. Seems like the interests of the whole country should be paramount, not just focused on the swing states. OTOH, I think the electoral college strategy can be kinda "fun" and the attention some state specific issues get in the general election that might not rise to importance otherwise is useful.

ft_2022.08.05_electoralcollege_01.png

Overall fairly steady, but I am kinda surprised Republicans have been trending steadily up since 2016, up to 42% versus 27% in 2016. I guess it is more that there was a big decrease in Republicans supporting popular vote after the 2016 election that has now regressed to the mean a bit over time.
The media is constantly pushing this agenda and they intentionally ignore/suppress the valid reasons FOR the electoral college, so it's inevitable that it will eventually become conventional wisdom.

It's shocking to me how easily intelligent people can be manipulated.