• The KillerFrogs

The Harris/Biden Administration: Coming Together to Build Back Better

What Up Toad

I don't know what the solution is either, but I think that's definitely a valid take by Crowder. I do think the overall, mainstream talking points we hear certainly contribute to what he's talking about. We constantly hear talk of "women don't need men" "women can be strong, independent and successful on their own" "men can be women/women can be men," etc... Our country's values have changed so much with all of this "woke" bullship. Couple that with the welfare state contributing to undermining marriage/encouraging and supporting single-parenthood, and all of that makes sense to me on why we've seen the increase in single-parenthood along with the increase in more darned up individuals contributing to this mess.

(here's an article that articulates some of that more thoroughly than I did... https://www.heritage.org/welfare/report/how-welfare-undermines-marriage-and-what-do-about-it)

As for the money, I think it's pretty simple. Instead of sending $50+ billion to Ukraine for a proxy war, let's throw that cash at upgrading the security of our public schools. A quick Google search tells me we have almost 99k public schools, and at $54 billion that would be about $545k per school. Feel like I would feel much better about my tax dollars if over half a million would go to every public school for upgraded security measures, rather than to Ukraine. I don't know what kind of "program" that would put in place, but it could do some substantial things and make me a hell of a lot happier by protecting our kids.

That might explain some (or most) of the violence in places like Chicago where there are a lot of children without parental guidance, but it doesn't apply to a lot of the mass shootings. As far as I'm aware, most mass shootings aren't committed by people with parents on welfare.

And even if we spent the money on protecting the schools, they'd likely just pick a different target.

If we're going to say it's a mental health issue, we need to provide more ways for people to gain access to therapy or possibly medication. I think I saw that Texas is 49th in mental health funding, but that's not to say these people would even take advantage of it if it were there.

Maybe the answer is spending more on community outreach so that kids spend time outside interacting with other people rather than sitting on the internet indoctrinating themselves (I read a number of articles examining how a lot of the BLM riots were fueled by what people had read online versus what they themselves had experienced).

I really don't know. I think at least passing universal background checks and having mandatory gun training like we do for driver's licenses is a good start, but I don't think that'll solve everything.

I have to blame this all on Ronald Reagan. Just like Bobby Kennedy in the 1960’s, who shutdown Alcatraz and changed the names of all the prisons from “Penitentiary” to “Correctional Facilities”, in the mid-1980’s, the Reagan Administration tried to reform the treatment of the mentally impaired. I am not sure if someone with stroke in the administration took the Jack Nicholson movie “ One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest” to heart or not. But they really started pushing to get people out of mental institutions and back on the streets. I know in the 1960’s and 1970’s, if you were walking around talking to yourself, the cops just simply picked you up and you were in a mental hospital until you were acting “normal “. Yes, there were people institutionalized that were perfectly safe but now we have the mass murders and every one of them seem to have friends and family that say they were acting strangely before the shooting and the people could see the killer’s mental state falling apart.

Wexahu

That might explain some (or most) of the violence in places like Chicago where there are a lot of children without parental guidance, but it doesn't apply to a lot of the mass shootings. As far as I'm aware, most mass shootings aren't committed by people with parents on welfare.

And even if we spent the money on protecting the schools, they'd likely just pick a different target.

If we're going to say it's a mental health issue, we need to provide more ways for people to gain access to therapy or possibly medication. I think I saw that Texas is 49th in mental health funding, but that's not to say these people would even take advantage of it if it were there.

Maybe the answer is spending more on community outreach so that kids spend time outside interacting with other people rather than sitting on the internet indoctrinating themselves (I read a number of articles examining how a lot of the BLM riots were fueled by what people had read online versus what they themselves had experienced).

I really don't know. I think at least passing universal background checks and having mandatory gun training like we do for driver's licenses is a good start, but I don't think that'll solve everything.

I don't have the answers, that's for sure, but the issue is a hell of a lot more complicated than "it's Abbott's (or Cruz's) fault" which is about all I see from one side when I turn on the news.

There's no doubt that violence that is marketed, glorified, and celebrated on TV at least has SOME impact on this, so why isn't that specific area ever attacked and targeted in a meaningful way by liberal politicians?

If gun laws, and specifically gun laws that Democrats have imposed are the solution to the problem, explain these links?

Bob Sugar

Honestly, the Obama thing most likely stems from one key thing. I can almost guarantee you they (the Dems and their liberal media mouthpiece) remember that at this point two years ago, Biden’s polling members against Trump were dwindling and he had just dropped the “You ain’t Black” line. Then they used George Floyd to alter the narrative and never look back.

You know they had to have had wall to wall coverage lined up reminding everyone about Floyd and how bad republicans are and then some Hispanic kid in South Texas forced them to talk about something else, while still talking about how bad republicans are.

Last edited:

Jet Set Frog

I keep seeing takes like this from the right, but I don't know what their proposed solution is.

Most families can't afford to have a mom stay at home and raise the kids, which is one of the best ways to head off bad/violent behaviors and things like ADHD.

The stress from two parents working and worrying about money is one of the leading causes of divorce too.

I'm also seeing more and more Republicans saying that the $40billion we sent to Ukraine could've been better spent here, but I also don't know of any programs Republicans have put forth to help the poor.

That's not what he's saying.....

• 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes (US Dept. Of Health/Census) – 5 times the average.
  • 90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes – 32 times the average.
  • 85% of all children who show behavior disorders come from fatherless homes – 20 times the average. (Center for Disease Control)
  • 80% of rapists with anger problems come from fatherless homes –14 times the average. (Justice & Behavior, Vol 14, p. 403-26)
  • 71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes – 9 times the average. (National Principals Association Report)
  • Children with Fathers who are involved are 40% less likely to repeat a grade in school.
  • Children with Fathers who are involved are 70% less likely to drop out of school.
  • Children with Fathers who are involved are more likely to get A’s in school.
  • Children with Fathers who are involved are more likely to enjoy school and engage in extracurricular activities.
  • 75% of all adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers come from fatherless homes – 10 times the average.
  • 70% of youths in state-operated institutions come from fatherless homes – 9 times the average. (U.S. Dept. of Justice, Sept. 1988)
  • 85% of all youths in prison come from fatherless homes – 20 times the average. (Fulton Co. Georgia, Texas Dept. of Correction)
  • 43% of US children live without their father [US Department of Census]
  • 90% of homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes. [US D.H.H.S., Bureau of the Census]
  • 80% of rapists motivated with displaced anger come from fatherless homes. [Criminal Justice & Behaviour, Vol 14, pp. 403-26, 1978]
  • 71% of pregnant teenagers lack a father. [U.S. Department of Health and Human Services press release, Friday, March 26, 1999]
  • 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes. [US D.H.H.S., Bureau of the Census]
  • 85% of children who exhibit behavioral disorders come from fatherless homes. [Center for Disease Control]
  • 90% of adolescent repeat arsonists live with only their mother. [Wray Herbert, “Dousing the Kindlers,” Psychology Today, January, 1985, p. 28]
  • 71% of high school dropouts come from fatherless homes. [National Principals Association Report on the State of High Schools]
  • 75% of adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers come from fatherless homes. [Rainbows f for all God’s Children]
  • 70% of juveniles in state operated institutions have no father. [US Department of Justice, Special Report, Sept. 1988]
  • 85% of youths in prisons grew up in a fatherless home. [Fulton County Georgia jail populations, Texas Department of Corrections, 1992]
  • Fatherless boys and girls are: twice as likely to drop out of high school; twice as likely to end up in jail; four times more likely to need help for emotional or behavioral problems. [US D.H.H.S. news release, March 26, 1999]

Frog-in-law1995

Honestly, the Obama thing most likely stems from one key thing. I can almost guarantee you they (the Dems and their liberal media mouthpiece) remember that at this point two years ago, Biden’s polling members against Trump were dwindling and he had just dropped the “You ain’t Black” line. Then they used George Floyd to alter the narrative and never look back.

You know they had to have had wall to wall coverage reminding everyone about Floyd and how bad republicans are and then some Hispanic kid in South Texas forced them to talk about something else, while still talking about how bad republicans are.

He was using the anniversary as an impetus to advance his foundation’s promotion of activism against systemic racism and in favor of police reform. The merits of that goal aside, it was, at best, incredibly tone deaf to juxtapose the promotion of police reform activism in a tweet that began by referencing a shooting where LEOs ran towards the scheissing bullets.

Lobbying broke all-time mark in 2021 amid flurry of government spending​

Top spenders on federal lobbying, 2021​

Table with 2 columns and 10 rows. Currently displaying rows 1 to 10.
LOBBYING CLIENTTOTAL SPENT
U.S. Chamber of Commerce$66.4 million
National Association of Realtors$44 million
Pharmaceutical Research & Manufacturers of America$30.4 million
Business Roundtable$29.1 million
Blue Cross/Blue Shield$25.1 million
American Hospital Association$25.1 million
Meta$20 million
American Medical Association$19.5 million
Amazon.com$19.3 million
American Chemistry Council$16.6 million
Source: Opensecrets.org

THE WASHINGTON POST

What Up Toad

• 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes (US Dept. Of Health/Census) – 5 times the average.
  • 90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes – 32 times the average.
  • 85% of all children who show behavior disorders come from fatherless homes – 20 times the average. (Center for Disease Control)
  • 80% of rapists with anger problems come from fatherless homes –14 times the average. (Justice & Behavior, Vol 14, p. 403-26)
  • 71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes – 9 times the average. (National Principals Association Report)
  • Children with Fathers who are involved are 40% less likely to repeat a grade in school.
  • Children with Fathers who are involved are 70% less likely to drop out of school.
  • Children with Fathers who are involved are more likely to enjoy school and engage in extracurricular activities.
  • 75% of all adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers come from fatherless homes – 10 times the average.
  • 70% of youths in state-operated institutions come from fatherless homes – 9 times the average. (U.S. Dept. of Justice, Sept. 1988)
  • 85% of all youths in prison come from fatherless homes – 20 times the average. (Fulton Co. Georgia, Texas Dept. of Correction)
  • 90% of homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes. [US D.H.H.S., Bureau of the Census]
  • 80% of rapists motivated with displaced anger come from fatherless homes. [Criminal Justice & Behaviour, Vol 14, pp. 403-26, 1978]
  • 71% of pregnant teenagers lack a father. [U.S. Department of Health and Human Services press release, Friday, March 26, 1999]
  • 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes. [US D.H.H.S., Bureau of the Census]
  • 85% of children who exhibit behavioral disorders come from fatherless homes. [Center for Disease Control]
  • 90% of adolescent repeat arsonists live with only their mother. [Wray Herbert, “Dousing the Kindlers,” Psychology Today, January, 1985, p. 28]
  • 71% of high school dropouts come from fatherless homes. [National Principals Association Report on the State of High Schools]
  • 75% of adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers come from fatherless homes. [Rainbows f for all God’s Children]
  • 70% of juveniles in state operated institutions have no father. [US Department of Justice, Special Report, Sept. 1988]
  • 85% of youths in prisons grew up in a fatherless home. [Fulton County Georgia jail populations, Texas Department of Corrections, 1992]
  • Fatherless boys and girls are: twice as likely to drop out of high school; twice as likely to end up in jail; four times more likely to need help for emotional or behavioral problems. [US D.H.H.S. news release, March 26, 1999]

So how do you reduce the number of kids growing up in fatherless homes?

As an aside, I feel like a ban on abortion would increase the number of kids growing up in fatherless homes.

As an aside, I feel like a ban on abortion would increase the number of kids growing up in fatherless homes.
I remember Daniel Patrick Moynihan and Ronald Regan debating LBJ’s new Great Society in the late 1960’s on Face the Nation. The new welfare plan WIC (Women, Infants & Children) gave women far more money if the husband was not in the household. They both agreed it would do big damage to poor families. Sadly, they have been proven correct.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain

Two wrongs...

We've been operating under the Democrat's plan for poverty, family, and the killing of undesirables abortion for decades and this is where it got us. Perhaps, and I realize this is a crazy suggestion, we should try something different?

Jet Set Frog

I think the historical programs that have sought to displace/replace the father in the home are well documented, but I think there are more contemporaneous causes as well; one of them being the war on masculinity. When you reduce the natural desire of men to take care of their families, raise their kids, stand up for/defend themselves/wives/kids down to "toxic masculinity", you take away a key component to nuclear families.

Ironic timing for an article just out in NEJM for causes of death in children and adolescents. Firearm related injury now the #1 cause of death. A few observations. Most causes pretty steady. Motor vehicle accident have decreased pretty dramatically. This is obviously because of increased safety in cars and car seats (for those of us who grew up bounding around in the back of the car in the rear facing seats of the station wagon making faces at the car behind us, not hard to imagine!) Slight decrease in the #3 cause (malignant neoplasms), but I thought it would be more significant. I think if the chart went back to the 60s there would be a pretty big decrease. Meanwhile firearm injuries going up rising pretty quickly, but only in last 7 years, and the rate had actually been decreasing slightly between 1999-2013 which I thought was interesting. The big 2019-2020 increase mostly due to homicides and not suicides, according to the article (firearm homicides went up 33.4%, while suicides went up 1.1%).

nejmc2201761_f1.jpeg

FROG2597

I know you are trying to make a connection here, but what are you trying to say?

FROG2597

Ironic timing for an article just out in NEJM for causes of death in children and adolescents. Firearm related injury now the #1 cause of death. A few observations. Most causes pretty steady. Motor vehicle accident have decreased pretty dramatically. This is obviously because of increased safety in cars and car seats (for those of us who grew up bounding around in the back of the car in the rear facing seats of the station wagon making faces at the car behind us, not hard to imagine!) Slight decrease in the #3 cause (malignant neoplasms), but I thought it would be more significant. I think if the chart went back to the 60s there would be a pretty big decrease. Meanwhile firearm injuries going up rising pretty quickly, but only in last 7 years, and the rate had actually been decreasing slightly between 1999-2013 which I thought was interesting. The big 2019-2020 increase mostly due to homicides and not suicides, according to the article (firearm homicides went up 33.4%, while suicides went up 1.1%).

What about COVID? Are we off that now?

What Up Toad

Two wrongs...

We've been operating under the Democrat's plan for poverty, family, and the killing of undesirables abortion for decades and this is where it got us. Perhaps, and I realize this is a crazy suggestion, we should try something different?

I mean, crime of all kinds has gone down significantly in the last few decades. Homicides were down to a 52 year low in Obama's last year of office. So something is working there. It wasn't until Trump came into office that crime started going back up. Of course, that could just be because of the pandemic, but who knows.

LVH

I mean, crime of all kinds has gone down significantly in the last few decades. Homicides were down to a 52 year low in Obama's last year of office. So something is working there. It wasn't until Trump came into office that crime started going back up. Of course, that could just be because of the pandemic, but who knows.
I'd say its directly correlated to the George Soros backed DAs who got elected in counties starting in 2018 and have been ultra soft on crime(i.e. not prosecuting thefts under $900).