• The KillerFrogs

The Harris/Biden Administration: Coming Together to Build Back Better

TCUdirtbag

You failed to report he visited the Taylor county wildfires yesterday, actual Governor stuff. Meanwhile Beto was rehearsing his shock and awe press conference stunt.
One is the Governor of Texas jetting around the state to attend a fundraiser as a tragedy unfolds. The other isn’t.

Not my faith, but pastor isn’t your Jesus the one that angrily overturned tables in a temple, sat with sinners, and took action rather than just quietly sit in prayer?

I’d suggest the folks supposedly doing all the praying and telling us in social media posts to “just pray” might need to stop doing all the talking at God and start doing some listening. In my faith, God sends signs. Not sure how they could be any clearer.
Nobody is saying 'just pray.' Pray, and 'just pray' are two entirely different things.

Your contempt for Christians is noted, though.

TCURiggs

Not my faith, but pastor isn’t your Jesus the one that angrily overturned tables in a temple, sat with sinners, and took action rather than just quietly sit in prayer?

I’d suggest the folks supposedly doing all the praying and telling us in social media posts to “just pray” might need to stop doing all the talking at God and start doing some listening. In my faith, God sends signs. Not sure how they could be any clearer.

What exactly do you propose? What's your stance on guns/gun laws in general?

And also, what laws that Abbott signed contributed to this?

TCUdirtbag

God forbid the sanctity of the holy press conference be interrupted by politics. Oh wait ……

I’ll give the Mayor, who no doubt is living through hell in his small town, a pass on being a prick. And Beto’s decision can and should be scrutinized. But trotting all the NRA-funded GOP state politicians on stage in between their campaign fundraisers in Huntsville and convention speeches in Houston and pretending like the whole thing isn’t performative politics is extremely disingenuous. Gun policy is set by politicians, and if what Beto did was wrong, so is what Abbott did.

TCURiggs

God forbid the sanctity of the holy press conference be interrupted by politics. Oh wait ……

I’ll give the Mayor, who no doubt is living through hell in his small town, a pass on being a prick. And Beto’s decision can and should be scrutinized. But trotting all the NRA-funded GOP state politicians on stage in between their campaign fundraisers in Huntsville and convention speeches in Houston and pretending like the whole thing isn’t performative politics is extremely disingenuous. Gun policy is set by politicians, and if what Beto did was wrong, so is what Abbott did.

Huge difference between doing the standard campaign fundraising and conventions that all politicians do, and showing up in the community where an unbelievable tragedy just happened to politically grandstand over the dead children from that community. But sure, act like they're the same thing.

Huge difference between doing the standard campaign fundraising and conventions that all politicians do, and showing up in the community where an unbelievable tragedy just happened to politically grandstand over the dead children from that community. But sure, act like they're the same thing.
One guy was there in an official capacity in duty to the people of his state. The other guy traveled 500 miles across the state to make a scene.

Wexahu

Why does "doing something" always have to involve gun rights, and almost nothing else?

It's a WAY more complicated issue than that.

AroundWorldFrog

But how much money did Abott cost the state and the country during his "check all the trucks for drugs" nonsense at the border? I can't stand Beto, but Abbott is not much better. Sad that these two clowns are the best that Texas can do.
Yea, what's 107,000 fentanyl deaths compared to slowing some trucks down. You do realize that almost all of the fenanyl in this coutry is coming across the southern border, right?

vicarfrog

I'm well aware of the "I don't want your thoughts and prayers" narrative. In the context of my post, my point is that moving toward something constructive actually begins with grieving first. Pointing fingers is self-justification towards what you believe AND a manipulation of other people's hurts for your own gain. And it is also the illusion of control, that there is something I can do. It does nothing productive for others. It's like 2 parents arguing with each other while their child watches in their own prison of sorrow. It's thoughtless and selfish.

Now to the topic of prayer, since you felt so compelled to really "stick it to me" with a zinger: My Jesus is also the One who lifted up His eyes and prayed and taught His disciples how to pray. He spent hours in prayer before selecting His disciples, He prayed before raising Lazarus from the dead, He prayed before multiplication of the loaves. This false dichotomy between prayer and inaction needs to stop; it's ridiculous. Prayer informs action. Prayer is listening in His Word and interceding for others. Yes He did overturn the tables...a sign that the Temple would be destroyed...a temple we no longer need because we have full access to God by grace in prayer.

Now to be fair, I think there are some people who when they say, "My thoughts and prayers" are with you, it is empty. But prayer, in it's purest form, will lead to action. And I would argue the right action.

I really don't want to argue. My suggestion: get on a search engine, type "The Litany" and pray.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
So, you are not outraged by the school shooting?
Saddened and heart broken, yes. But, honest question, who or what am I supposed to be outraged about in this situation that would change anything? Outrage is an outlet for many in situations like these who can't grasp the senselessness of evil in this world and are looking to place blame on someone or something to make themselves feel better. No, I'm not outraged by this situation in the least. I know what caused this, and I'm secure in my knowledge that evil exists and evil people will do evil things. I don't need to point fingers, grandstand in front of a governor, yell on Twitter, or call people names. I've seen evil, I've witnessed senseless deaths, it takes a terrible toll, but I've learned that outrage will only make one bitter and blind to the reality of the situation.

tetonfrog

Yea, what's 107,000 fentanyl deaths compared to slowing some trucks down. You do realize that almost all of the fenanyl in this coutry is coming across the southern border, right?
How much fentanyl did they seize? And, if you are interested in slowing down the opiod crisis across the country, why not start with the pill factories in Tennessee? How many other pharmacies like this are there across the South? Why are police focused on stopping marijuana dealers or disrupting trade instead of shutting down places like this?

tetonfrog

Saddened and heart broken, yes. But, honest question, who or what am I supposed to be outraged about in this situation that would change anything? Outrage is an outlet for many in situations like these who can't grasp the senselessness of evil in this world and are looking to place blame on someone or something to make themselves feel better. No, I'm not outraged by this situation in the least. I know what caused this, and I'm secure in my knowledge that evil exists and evil people will do evil things. I don't need to point fingers, grandstand in front of a governor, yell on Twitter, or call people names. I've seen evil, I've witnessed senseless deaths, it takes a terrible toll, but I've learned that outrage will only make one bitter and blind to the reality of the situation.
Fair enough.

I said before that I can't stand Beto and Abbott. Nothing that happened this week has changed my opinion of either.

Wexahu

Bingo.

It's incredibly sad, and about as horrible a tragedy as one can imagine, but being "outraged" is not really going to accomplish anything. And it annoys the hell out of me that blame and finger-pointing need to accompany every damn terrible thing that happens in this world.

CountryFrog

2 things I've learned in the past 24 hours:

If you're for stricter gun laws then you're a freedom hating commie who only wants to enslave the populous.

If you're against stricter gun laws then you're a terror loving psychopath who loves seeing children die.

I can't imagine what it is that's standing in the way of progress on issues like this. A country full of dirtbags and LVH's screaming at each other seems like a great governmental system to me.