• All Hail The Hypnotoad

The Harris/Biden Administration: Coming Together to Build Back Better

Whiskey Frog

ALL HAIL THE HYPNOTOAD
I think it’s extremely naive to suggest what happened yesterday wouldn’t have happened if there was simply another law in place.
It extremely naïve to suggest that there is any one solution to any problem. Its naïve to suggest that having a fence around the building would have stopped him or just an armed security guard would have stopped him as well. But perhaps, limiting legal avenues for impulsive teenagers, fences, and security would at the very least help the problem.

TCURiggs

ALL HAIL THE HYPNOTOAD
Not sure I understand the question. I'm arguing for something that doesn't currently exist in Texas. So showing my work would be a bit impossible.

My fault, I thought you were arguing that if the age requirement was 21 instead of 18 this wouldn't have happened. I was running it together with the argument with dirtbag and another discussion we're having on a GroupMe thread.

So, what would be your age requirement to buy a gun? Or are you just completely anti-gun?

gohornedfrogs

ALL HAIL THE HYPNOTOAD
Based on the evidence we have so far, it would have. But, again its not the only solution, there are plenty. Doing nothing based on the idea that they might have found another way, seems misguided to me personally.
I think we're looking at this anecdotally vs. holistically. Yes, a law may have prevented THIS particular shooting -- may have. But even to do that, you have to assume that someone who was intent on killing 20 people wouldn't have been motivated to find guns illegally.

LVH

ALL HAIL THE HYPNOTOAD
I have no doubt the lists would be abused. There's a small portion of people who would unfairly get caught up on a list. That's life. Small price to pay IMO.
Tyranny is a "small price to pay".

Like I said last night, I don't care if there are 1,000 school shootings by the end of the year - we need unrestricted access to guns to protect ourselves from a tyrannical government.

gohornedfrogs

ALL HAIL THE HYPNOTOAD
He was known to both the FBI and CIA (at least from one news article I've read). Most of these people have been.

At the very least, the police were frequent visitors to his house where he lived with his drug addict mother where he got into violent arguments/confrontations regularly.
Now we're getting to the heart of the problem and the possible solutions...

Whiskey Frog

ALL HAIL THE HYPNOTOAD
My fault, I thought you were arguing that if the age requirement was 21 instead of 18 this wouldn't have happened. I was running it together with the argument with dirtbag and another discussion we're having on a GroupMe thread.

So, what would be your age requirement to buy a gun? Or are you just completely anti-gun?
My argument is, that based on the evidence we have at this time, having the legal age to buy a gun at 25 would have stopped this very particular shooting. I do not believe this would have stopped every shooting or even every school shooting. Just this one, at this time. Making an 18 year old have to figure out how to buy a gun through non-legal means in order to shoot anything (human, deer, can) is not a high price to pay in my opinion. I think that having a fence around the building may have helped, but not prevented this particular shooting in that he crashed his car into the building. I think that having an armed security guard could have saved lives, but probably not all. I think having as many barriers up as we can to protect our kids is an ok price to pay for our right to bear arms and protect ourselves.

Which obviously, not everyone is going to agree on. Then you have LVH would doesn't care if every school in America is shot up as long as 18 year olds can buy guns and babies can vote apparently.

TCURiggs

ALL HAIL THE HYPNOTOAD
My argument is, that based on the evidence we have at this time, having the legal age to buy a gun at 25 would have stopped this very particular shooting. I do not believe this would have stopped every shooting or even every school shooting. Just this one, at this time. Making an 18 year old have to figure out how to buy a gun through non-legal means in order to shoot anything (human, deer, can) is not a high price to pay in my opinion. I think that having a fence around the building may have helped, but not prevented this particular shooting in that he crashed his car into the building. I think that having an armed security guard could have saved lives, but probably not all. I think having as many barriers up as we can to protect our kids is an ok price to pay for our right to bear arms and protect ourselves.

Which obviously, not everyone is going to agree on. Then you have LVH would doesn't care if every school in America is shot up as long as 18 year olds can buy guns and babies can vote apparently.

All fair points, but I disagree that an age limit would've stopped this guy from doing what he did. As I've said numerous times, people like this obviously don't care about laws. This kid was intent on harming people and was going to find a way. We won't agree on that point though, which is fine. Thanks for throwing that out there, though. We can all agree that more needs to be done to protect our kids.

Except LVH, apparently. What a ridiculous comment.

Dogfrog

ALL HAIL THE HYPNOTOAD
He was known to both the FBI and CIA (at least from one news article I've read). Most of these people have been.

At the very least, the police were frequent visitors to his house where he lived with his drug addict mother where he got into violent arguments/confrontations regularly.
Keeping lists and trying to track people seems almost impossible to me. There are an estimated 30+ million people with depressive mental illness in U.S. Probably 12+M schizophrenia or bipolar. Many mentally ill people are not violent at all, some can be verbally abusive without being physically violent. Also just having a diagnosis doesn’t define who is committed to their meds and who refuses to medicate. Even if it was possible to have a list of people that represent a highly dangerous population, it would be a large number. How do we monitor all these people? Put tracking devices on them? Not saying it should be dismissed, just seems impossible to monitor, as well as potentially unfair.

Wexahu

ALL HAIL THE HYPNOTOAD
It extremely naïve to suggest that there is any one solution to any problem. Its naïve to suggest that having a fence around the building would have stopped him or just an armed security guard would have stopped him as well. But perhaps, limiting legal avenues for impulsive teenagers, fences, and security would at the very least help the problem.
I agree. Who knows, maybe Hollywood’s glorification of gun violence contributed as well. What do you suggest be done about that?

LVH

ALL HAIL THE HYPNOTOAD
How many kids do you have? That’s effing insane man
SHALL. NOT. BE. INFRINGED.

I don't have to justify my 2nd amendment GOD GIVEN right. Sorry you are such an effeminate soy drinking loser that you let emotions get the best of you to where you cheerlead for further 2nd amendment erosion

LVH

ALL HAIL THE HYPNOTOAD
Shall not be infringed, mother scheisser. You are just another democrat soy boy who lets emotions get in the way of reason and logic.