• The KillerFrogs

The Greatness of Linda Kaye

hometown frog

Indeed. Good call. Forgot abt that one.

nolanbloody.jpg
Got that one too!!

ksfrog

This is my favorite Linda Kaye pic - my son with me at a TCU Women's Tennis match in spring 2004. I have a collage of photos from my time working in Athletics Media Relations... nearly all of them are hers. I look at them and am immediately pulled back to the emotions of the moment she captured. Here's to Linda Kaye and her purple tennis shoes! 20220208_202302.jpg

Paint It Purple

LindaKaye. Never Linda. Never Ms Kaye. It was always LindaKaye. She was like a ubiquitous enigma. Everyone loved her but no one knew from where she came. She was always just....there. Ask those from my era and they probably have a LindaKaye black and white print that she gladly handed us at her expense from behind her signature black horned-rims. It's as though we expected them from her, yet she gave them willingly and never expected a thing in return. Looking back we didn't appreciate her enough, but now understand how fortunate we were to have her and her camera in our midst. Thank you Ms Linda Kaye. Horned Frog forever

denverfrog

I first met Linda Kaye on the sidelines of a EHHS football game in 1977. I had a 35m and a dark room and loved to take pics, it was just fun for me, for her, it was a career. I learned how to set up based on where the game was flowing to get the best shots from her. She was always nice but intensely focused. I would listen for her shutter to go off and learned so much from her, she didn’t mind me following her around. Later, Was always around her at TCU, 3 years as a cheerleader and one as one of the original super frog. I have a few shots from her during those years. One is still hanging on the wall at my parents house. She just always seemed to be there, every event worth being at. I wonder if she ever knew the impact she had on so many lives.

Virginia Frog

Makes sense.

TCU’s winningest coach ever, most bowl appearances and bowl wins ever < photographer.
Difference between Linda & GP:
Linda steadfastly loyal to TCU.
Gary takes $150K to "consult" for the "enemy" UT/delConte and then shows extreme bad judgement which completely pisses off TCU Nation. (How much is $150K - after getting $5M from TCU for '22 - after Uncle Sam gets his share? Unbelievable, I find it!)

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Gary takes $150K to "consult" for the "enemy" UT/delConte and then shows extreme bad judgement which pisses off TCU Nation completely. (How much is $150K - after getting $5M from TCU for '22 - after Uncle Sam gets his share? Unbelievable I find it!)
So, we give back all the wins, bowl paraphernalia, new stadium, new campus buildings too?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Gary takes $150K to "consult" for the "enemy" UT/delConte and then shows extreme bad judgement which pisses off TCU Nation completely. (How much is $150K - after getting $5M from TCU for '22 - after Uncle Sam gets his share? Unbelievable I find it!)
(In my incredulous squeaky voice that only dogs can hear) He's only taking $150K?!?! Just what in the hell is wrong with him?

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I was in a class being taught by Curt Wilson, when Linda Kaye came in to shoot some promo pics for the MLA program. She was puttering around, got her shots, and was headed for the door. Curt reminded us that she had been down at the Texas Hotel on the morning before JFK headed over to Dallas and eternity. He asked her if she still had all the pictures she had taken of the President and his entourage from that fateful morning. She looked up at the ceiling and told him, "I have them somewhere at home...not sure where." After she left, Curt was standing there with an amazed look on his face and said, "Can you imagine having photographs with that much historic importance, and you couldn't say exactly where they were?" One of the football players in the class piped up and said, "She took pictures of the team last week, and said she doesn't know exactly where they are either!"

tcuwags

I remember watching her shoot a Rangers game. She was down in the photographers’ well with her camera set on her tripod. She was reading a paperback novel at the same time. She had the book in one hand and then right as the pitcher was ready to pitch, she would get behind the camera and be ready to snap. When she was satisfied that the play was over, it was back to the book and repeat the whole cycle again. She was a treasure.

Virginia Frog

So, we give back all the wins, bowl paraphernalia, new stadium, new campus buildings too?
I was really just commenting on GP's VERY bad judgement. Losing so much (TCU Nation's feelings and HIS legacy in FW) and gaining so little ($150K BEFORE Taxes. Very bad financial analysis on GP's part.)

Now, did HE do/build ALL the things that you report here? Nope. Significant contribution, yes. Thank you Coach and the TCU alums/big money check writers. I WAS always in GP's corner since the beginning. I even had a dialog with his Mom that was very positive, so I am not a hater. I just can't, still to this day, get over this huge PR "fumble" by signing-on to go to the Austin Zoo.)

I guess I need to shut up over the GP saga. What is done is done. I'm ready to go to Colorado in Sep to cheer on Sonny!

Last edited:

Virginia Frog

This picture has two important notes to be added. First the paint on D-M was barely dry when this picture was taken.
Secondly if memory is correct, this picture was taken in or around March 7th. On March 7th, Worth Hills received 2.50 inches of snow and TCU cancelled classes that day b/c of the snow. Also on that date, the cafeteria ran out of servicing trays b/c everybody took those trays and slid down Worth Hills. One tray for the rear end and another tray for your feet and away you went not knowing where you would end up b/c you no control over those cafeteria trays direction . A lot of the girls ended up in the creek so wet and cold they could hardly walk to the dorm.

Dedication of Daniel Meyer took place a month or two earlier. Comedian and very popular celebrity Bob Hope was booked as opening entertainment but had to back out at the last minute. Entertainment chairman ............ made a quick phone call to the agent of Henry Mancini. He was begged him to come help dedicate DM. Mr. Mancini flew in and the help of*John Giordano, gathered the Ft. Worth Symphony and for a couple of hours, D&M became the magic of one Henry Mancini Orchestra. What a night that was. Then of all things, guess who walks into the back door of Daniel Meyer? None other than Bob Hope. Hope said and I quote.."Sorry I'm late, I had dinner with the President of the United States and couldn't get out of that." He only spoke for about 15 or 20 minutes, but when he left, people were holding their sides from laughter. If you don't recognize those names Hope and Mancini it is because of era's, Mancini, is the most popular composer of our time! Period. . Wrote the music for Breakfast at Tiffany, Pink Panther and 27 other gigantic hits for the motion picture screen. Believe it or not, you would recognize every song he wrote even though you don't recognize the name.

What can you say about Bob Hope. Just simply the best, most popular comedian of that era. He for instance, had the private phone numbers of every King, President, Queen, Pope in the world. Popular won't even come close to this mans reputation

*The music people of TCU, Ft. Worth and the world know the name Giordano. At this time, John was a teacher and part student but had already set his mark in the music business. A short time later , John became the director of the Ft. Worth Symphony and they traveled the world playing London, Berlin, Mosco and so forth. Dear John is a magnificent fellow and later became heavily evolved with the Van Cliburn World competition for the very best pianist in the world. That too was held at TCU for many years. See there people, TCU may be a small university but commands the respect the world over. Then theirs the absolute QUEEN of Broadway. Yep she two graduated from TCU. Betty retired a few years back and lives Ft. Worth. Millions of people adore her and when she walked on stage...well,, lets just say, she is the best NewYork has ever seen. Then, the guy who wrote for the Star Telegram and became a CBS TV News host and has a TCU building named in his honor. Know who I'm talking about here? You knew in class long before he became famous, he was going to be special. Right along with Linda Kay, photographer, journalist and all around great person. Wish we could see her pictures of TCU. There are thousands of them.
Fabulous story Toad.

The Winter magazine/alumni organ was a focus about the year 1971. I imagine your memories proceed the '70s but IMO this would be valuable for the TCU record/history. You should copy/print out this post and mail it tho the TCU Magazine editor (Yer old school like me I'm guessing.) Yes I'm saying use the post office.:)

I was peripherally involved in Bob Hope's 75th Birthday party (it was a pretty intimate affair, just over 100 guests) at the Time-Life Books HQ in Alexandria, VA. It was 1978, shortly after I left TCU. It was here in the Washington area because his son Tony Hope, a Georgetown undergrad and Harvard-trained lawyer, was a Ford appointee and spent a large portion of his career in government. I was unable to meet him that night (though I over time I met/had conversations with Rosa Parks, Beyonce, and others including Herman Munster-actor Fred Gwynne who one night sat immediately behind me at a play at The Kennedy Center. That dude was tall!)

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
The idea that GP was single-handedly responsible for the new stadium and campus buildings is kind of silly.
Single handedly, no. But donors hardly would’ve ponied up the big big bucks had it not been for the success GP brought. If I recall TCU Magazine even made mention of this.