1. The KillerFrogs

The Greatest Horned Frog Fan ever has Leaped on

Discussion in 'Scott & Wes Frog Fan Forum' started by ShreveFrog, Mar 24, 2020 at 11:50 AM.

1. SMU had a baseball team?

Sorry to hear of your loss. I know he was special to you and your family.

Hoosierfrog and ShreveFrog like this.
  2. RIP Leap! Condolences Shreve.

Is there a connection to @nwlafrog here? Grandfather possibly? Or am I incorrect on this?

ShreveFrog likes this.
  3. Deepest condolences and heartfelt prayers to you Shreve. Your dad was a one-of-a-kind Frog!

After one of his posts in which he related a story of a game I attended as a kid I sent him a private message and told him my name and background. I thought perhaps we had known each other "in a former life."

He graciously informed me that he had about 20 years on me (and I'm an old!), but we traded stories back and forth for a couple of days, and I thoroughly enjoyed every time we had occasion to share.

Leap was a first-hand witness to the early glory days of TCU football, its descent into oblivion and its rise from the ashes - all in-person, with his own eyes. Very few Frog fans left alive can boast of that.

A sad day to be sure, but he'd be the first one to insist I close this post with -

Go Frogs!

FrogAbroad, TopFrog, froginmn and 8 others like this.
  4. Yes, my grandfather. He was an awesome guy!

TopFrog, 2themax, netty2424 and 4 others like this.
  5. Sorry for your loss, it sounds like your dad lived a full life and experienced a lot.

ShreveFrog likes this.

6. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Gerry! As devastating as the loss of your father is, I Know you'll carry his torch well!

ShreveFrog likes this.
  7. Yes, Dad said SMU didn’t support its program real well. They basically only recruited the Dallas schools. Dad would’ve graduated high school in 1947 or 48. I remember him taking me to watch TCU vs SMU in the 1970s at Rivershon (?) park. Dad said he played some semi pro ball in that same park. Not sure when SMU ended baseball.
    At some point Dad mentioned playing in games against Bobby Lane and Kyle Rote.

Purp likes this.
  8. believe they dropped it in 1979-80 and kept men's soccer

Spike likes this.
  9. I was adding a little levity at SMU's expense during an obviously difficult time. Figured you could use a chuckle. I appreciate the story, though. Sounds like a very neat man.

ShreveFrog likes this.
  10. Correct. My brother played for SMU in the late 60s. Used to rag him about playing in a city park, when ours wasn’t much better. But at least it was on campus...

Eight likes this.
  11. Hearing that Frog DJ is old always draws a like from me.

Frog DJ likes this.
  12. Thoughts and prayers to NWLA, Shreve and rest of family. Wish I had known Leap.

TopFrog, nwlafrog and ShreveFrog like this.
  13. Very sorry for your loss. But what a great story. Your Dad will be missed.

14. So sorry man! Condolences to you and your family. Sounds like a great man!

nwlafrog likes this.
  15. #35 Brog, Mar 25, 2020 at 1:45 PM
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020 at 4:28 PM
    Well, don't know for sure who he was, but I'm sorry for his loss. He and I probably crossed paths somewhere at TCU. The first TCU game I attended as a 17 year old student was TCU/Arkansas, October 1948, , and they beat us. We had already won two away games, at Kansas (14-13) and at OkState (21-14). Went on to. be a 4-5-1 season, but we beat the Aggies 21-14 and tied SMU 7-7. Despite up and down times, those were sure good years at TCU, and I know I share them with him. Blessings on him and you and the family, and now let's see who's next.

TopFrog, nwlafrog and Ron Swanson like this.
  16. I always looked for Leap's post therefore he will be missed. I'm sorry Shreve, you guys obviously had a close relationship.

TopFrog likes this.
  17. Those of us that never met him face-to-face are damn lucky to have had him on this board.

My condolences for the family's loss.

FrogAbroad and TopFrog like this.
  18. Very sorry for your loss, my condolences. He obviously raised you right.

19. What a great guy. Blessed to have gotten to know him. Really a joy to be around and talk Frog sports with. @Shreve @Top I am so sorry for your less.

Go with God!

TopFrog likes this.
  20. Thank you everyone for your comments and condolences.