• The KillerFrogs

The evolution of “depth”...

texas_sicilian

Recall the comments at the beginning of the year when the coaching staff said that this was the deepest team we’ve ever had, athletically.

While it may not seem so given our record, with the spate of injuries and all, it’s hard not to believe so...

To compete at this level, in a major conference, you must transition from:
  • a team where key injuries will completely crater your season (i.e. us a few years ago)..
  • to a team where key injuries can be absorbed and still maintain a level of competitiveness (i.e. us right now)
  • to a team where key injuries can occur and hardly miss a beat... (e.g. Ohio State losing their star DE or OU losing their star RB)
It will take time, but we’re getting there. This many injuries a few years back when we went 4-8, I would argue could have been even worse.

note: obviously injuries weren’t all that was wrong with us in the 4-8 season (needed to revamp entire offense).

Eight

Recall the comments at the beginning of the year when the coaching staff said that this was the deepest team we’ve ever had, athletically.

While it may not seem so given our record, with the spate of injuries and all, it’s hard not to believe so...

To compete at this level, in a major conference, you must transition from:
  • a team where key injuries will completely crater your season (i.e. us a few years ago)..
  • to a team where key injuries can be absorbed and still maintain a level of competitiveness (i.e. us right now)
  • to a team where key injuries can occur and hardly miss a beat... (e.g. Ohio State losing their star DE or OU losing their star RB)
It will take time, but we’re getting there. This many injuries a few years back when we went 4-8, I would argue could have been even worse.

note: obviously injuries weren’t all that was wrong with us in the 4-8 season (needed to revamp entire offense).

the one catch is with an 85 man roster you are always going to have a position or three where depth is a wish built on freshmen.

i also think the new transfer rules will make the idea of true depth much harder to achieve

MinFrog

The new transfer rule is gonna be a disaster IMO.
Have we really seen the impact yet? Everyone talks about it being a disaster, but it doesn’t seem like many transfers have happened.

The only thing I can think of are things like qbs only playing four games so they can transfer.