• The KillerFrogs

The Digital Purge

Not if the DNS was deleted at the source, then they'll need to determine which servers were removed, add them back to the tables and then have those updates propagate through the internet (ISPs will need to update their tables). The problem is what sort of backup and redundancy the original tables have that can sort and determine which records are missing. Still, I can't imagine FB being back up today unless all of the ISPs issue a non scheduled update to their DNS records once the tables are fixed (never happened before in the history of the net).
If you had to guess based on the information you know now, is this an accident (eg. a result of an update gone bad) or intentional?

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
If you had to guess based on the information you know now, is this an accident (eg. a result of an update gone bad) or intentional?
Possibly intentional, but I hope I'm wrong. To have someone finally able to intentionally delete DNS records from the global tables would mean a massive vulnerability the likes of which we've only speculated. To be clear, these sort of attacks have been tried non-stop for decades, so if this was the first successful hack of the DNS system then we're all in trouble.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
I see some people online pointing to a Reddit post claiming to be from a FB engineer stating this was a configuration issue. If so, then FB has some incompetent engineers on staff that need to be fired immediately, but I have a feeling that isn't what is going on here. It'll be fun picking apart the analysis of this over the next few weeks.

I see some people online pointing to a Reddit post claiming to be from a FB engineer stating this was a configuration issue. If so, then FB has some incompetent engineers on staff that need to be fired immediately, but I have a feeling that isn't what is going on here. It'll be fun picking apart the analysis of this over the next few weeks.
I think this is going to kill, or at least lead to a hemorrhage, WhatsApp. It is the primary source of communication for dozens of countries. Signal is now becoming one of the top downloaded Apps in the App Store right now.

Paul in uhh

Possibly intentional, but I hope I'm wrong. To have someone finally able to intentionally delete DNS records from the global tables would mean a massive vulnerability the likes of which we've only speculated. To be clear, these sort of attacks have been tried non-stop for decades, so if this was the first successful hack of the DNS system then we're all in trouble.
I’m hoping it was an internal rebellion and not something from a foreign entity

Eight

I’m hoping it was an internal rebellion and not something from a foreign entity

ScientificNextAmphibian-max-1mb.gif