• The KillerFrogs

The Digital Purge

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Just to explain why I'm so excited about this.... a lot of people in my industry have denied that such a thing could happen when this specific issue is used as a plausible example of how global censorship of a website might happen. Removing the site from the routing tables disappears a site permanently from the internet until they're returned to the tables and propagated back across the network. In essence, "whomever controls the tables, controls the internet." But we've been assured time and again that even accidental removal is difficult, if not highly improbable. This just removed that talking point for good.

HFrog1999

tenor.gif

HFrog1999

Just to explain why I'm so excited about this.... a lot of people in my industry have denied that such a thing could happen when this specific issue is used as a plausible example of how global censorship of a website might happen. Removing the site from the routing tables disappears a site permanently from the internet until they're returned to the tables and propagated back across the network. In essence, "whomever controls the tables, controls the internet." But we've been assured time and again that even accidental removal is difficult, if not highly improbable. This just removed that talking point for good.

Any guess on how long they are down

Any guess on how long they are down
Curious abt this too, @TxFrog1999 . A FB engineer on Reddit is live posting and said this has to be a manual fix inside the facility. Described it as trying to find needle in a haystack, and then figure out how to thread with hay.

Any Emergency Disaster Plan would have been implemented by now so clearly this is serious.

Last edited:

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Curious abt this too, @TxFrog1999 . A FB engineer on Reddit is live posting and said this has to be a manual fix inside the facility. Described it as trying to find needle in a haystack, and then figure out how to thread with hay.

Any Emergency Disaster Plan would have been implemented by now so clearly this is serious.
Not if the DNS was deleted at the source, then they'll need to determine which servers were removed, add them back to the tables and then have those updates propagate through the internet (ISPs will need to update their tables). The problem is what sort of backup and redundancy the original tables have that can sort and determine which records are missing. Still, I can't imagine FB being back up today unless all of the ISPs issue a non scheduled update to their DNS records once the tables are fixed (never happened before in the history of the net).

Paul in uhh

This is certainly above my pay grade but I’m surprised they didn’t have some sort of redundancy elsewhere to just fire up. Maybe that’s not possible though idk