• The KillerFrogs

The deep ball is the key to everything

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Think Max has the confidence now to pass well in both the second and first halves of a game. Could even make the Frogs a formidable foe for anyone else on the remaining schedule, because the lad also can really run.

Planks

It will definitely change the types of defenses we will see moving forward. I counted three times (2 completions, 1 incompletion) where Texas had linebacker #44 attempting to cover Taye Barber deep with no safety help. It happened too many times to be a mistake, I’m guessing that was by design, Texas coaches thought they could get away with not having a safety deep.

Moving forward, opposing teams will learn from UT’s mistake, and it will likely mean one less player in the box to stop TCU’s run game.

netty2424

Up until yesterday we hadn't completed any deep balls so teams had no respect for that at all so they could play tight coverage and stack the box.

This will be the key to success or failure for the rest of the season.
It’s obviously important to stretch the defense, but outside of MD, we didn’t run the ball that well. Their d-line did a pretty good job filling gaps and containing the edges.

But to your point, getting over the top will start to pay dividends the more of them we get on film.

And 4 interceptions as moose said is pretty kick ass.

asleep003

Up until yesterday we hadn't completed any deep balls so teams had no respect for that at all so they could play tight coverage and stack the box.

This will be the key to success or failure for the rest of the season.

We spent all last week talking about the inability to hit the long ball and that that was a major weakness. That if Max kept struggling in this area, that we would need Collins to come in and provide that balance to our offense.

It appears Max decided to have more confidence in our receivers and has also found the touch needed for the shorter routes... instead of trying to take the WR's heads off. Job well done !

Froggish

It’s obviously important to stretch the defense, but outside of MD, we didn’t run the ball that well. Their d-line did a pretty good job filling gaps and containing the edges.

But to your point, getting over the top will start to pay dividends the more of them we get on film.

OL didn’t have a great game and now with Niang done as a Frog it likely it won’t improve much. If Max continues to progress, The next 3 games should all be winnable.

Wexahu

They looked to me to be playing Iowa State-style defense. Baiting us to run with a soft look pre-snap but basically expecting and playing the run. Whatever it was, there is no doubt things softened up considerably in the secondary after the TD to Reagor. Seemed like we had more “easy” 10-15 yards catches in the second half than we’ve had all year and I don’t put all that on just a bad Texas defense. Finally made people pay for overplaying the short stuff, was great to see.

Wexahu

OL didn’t have a great game and now with Niang done as a Frog it likely it won’t improve much. If Max continues to progress, The next 3 games should all be winnable.

This offense doesn’t need really good line play as long as the QB is seeing things and making the right reads and the calls are mixed up enough. It’s kind of why this offense was created in the first place, so teams outmanned on the line can still move the ball. Even then, I don’t think we’ll see many, or any more teams that our O-line can’t deal with ok.

Ron Swanson

This offense doesn’t need really good line play as long as the QB is seeing things and making the right reads and the calls are mixed up enough. It’s kind of why this offense was created in the first place, so teams outmanned on the line can still move the ball. Even then, I don’t think we’ll see many, or any more teams that our O-line can’t deal with ok.
Our offense needs good line play

JugbandFrog

They looked to me to be playing Iowa State-style defense. Baiting us to run with a soft look pre-snap but basically expecting and playing the run. Whatever it was, there is no doubt things softened up considerably in the secondary after the TD to Reagor. Seemed like we had more “easy” 10-15 yards catches in the second half than we’ve had all year and I don’t put all that on just a bad Texas defense. Finally made people pay for overplaying the short stuff, was great to see.
But also knowing we wouldn’t run straight up the middle. They killed a lot of our outside runs

netty2424

Yah not sure I agree in this one.

Maybe it was originally designed for decent line play, but I think it’s evolved to the point it absolutely needs good line play, unless the plan is to run MD 20 times a game. We all know QB’s don’t hold up with that type of expectation.

Wexahu

Our offense needs good line play

I think what I said is being misinterpreted a bit. We can still move the ball effectively as long as we are ok there, the way this offense is designed relative to others doesn’t put a lot of stress on the 5 guys up front IMO. Of course they can’t be bad, they still have to carry out their assignments and be competent, but it’s not like we ask them to execute many exotic blocking schemes and such. It’s kind of like playing some zone defenses in basketball, you can hide some individual deficiencies by not counting on your guy to man up on someone he can’t really handle.

Froggish

Feels a little like running game has been regressing for the last few weeks. That’s not to say it hasn’t had moments but it’s taken a step back. As you said, if the passing game continues to show some life and Max can make himself a factor with his legs...We will give people trouble