• The KillerFrogs

The Continuing Saga of Re-Alignment...

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Right, but if the size of the fanbase causes Baylor Kstate and Iowa state to worry, don't they all have bigger fan bases than we do? Sure hope "size of fanbase" isn't the final, determining factor in any realignment.
"Size of Nationwide ratings footprint" is probably the better metric. And no, Rape U doesn't have one...

Casey T

WVU makes 9 million a year in tier 3 rights. That's behind texas, but not many others in big 12.

wvu has been to sweet 16 3 of the past 4 years and were eliminated by 3 teams with a combined record of like 132-5. nova, ky, gonzaga.

we just hired one of the best wrestling coaches in the east away from edinburough, new baseball stadium, very solid women's sports, won 5 straight rifle titles before finishing 2nd this year(i know rifle nonfactor).

point is wvu has good tv ratings despite merket flaws cable likes. But down the road tv ratings will trump cable as people will pay to see what they want.

im certainly no arguing wvu has a better chance than some in big 12, but gee our president said we had zero percent chance being left out-and that's all i care about.

Of course your president said that, what do you expect him to say?

Personally I'd rank WVU at #4 and don't think they'll have an issue, but their own president's opinion is not a reason why

Nolaeer

WVU was picked over Louisville because Fox and ESPn insisted, and they insisted bc WVU has much higher tv ratings in football.

Even in basketball WVU has a national footprint. WVU's game against UK was the highest rated hoops game that weekend and the big 12 championship game with kansas v WVU was the most watched ccg in 16 years. This article is dead wrong, however, about wvu having little national following. The tv ratings are proof positive.

Quote: Hosting four of the eight College GameDays helps make up for the fact that ESPN forgot about the Big 12 much of the past couple of seasons. And the news on the most viewed Conference Championship game in 16 years is surprising, considering it was Kansas, which lacked a true one-and-done star this season, against a smaller market team with little national following in West Virginia.

flyfishingfrog

Why is there an WVU fan on here trying to sell TCU fans on the importance and position of WVU for realignment?

Is this up there with the MSU fans explaining to us how great starkville is and their importance to NCAA baseball?

Nolaeer

because its summer and there's nothing much to talk about. this is pertinent to the discussion:
A source close to Del Conte told Horns247 one of the biggest reasons Del Conte left the comfort of having helped build TCU athletics into a nationally respected powerhouse (TCU has a four-game winning streak over Texas in football by an average score of 38-8) was his fear Texas would get its athletic director hire wrong and cause the Big 12 to crumble.

I think the big 12 could survive realignment. Big 12 money > ACC and Pac, and if Texas stays the big 12 will remain viable.

LeagueCityFrog

From my visits to various campuses... I would rank the Big XII stadiums I have visited as such pound for pound, no purple lenses on:

1. TCU
2. Baylor
3. K-State
4. Texas
5. Iowa State
6. West Virginia (note, I haven't been since they did their upgrades)
10. Kansas

As for the SEC schools:

1. Texas A&M
2. Ole Miss
3. Bama (maybe)
4. LSU
7.Arkansas
9. Kentucky
10. Mizzou

I've been to seven each in the Big XII and SEC.

Last edited:

BABYFACE

I actually have been impressed with WVU and their fans as a conference partner. WVU and TCU brought stability back to the Big 12 after the departures of CU, Nebraska, A$M, and Mizzou.

TCU was first in the WVU. Some fretted about UL not being taken. I would have loved UL to be added but not over WVU.

I don’t see anyone getting left out. A P5 conference would have to dissolve. Don’t see that happening. There maybe a few schools that might switch around conferences or a few outside the P5 get added.