• The KillerFrogs

The Continuing Saga of Re-Alignment...

Texas Tech is about to make some incredible upgrades to their facilities because of these two former TTU football players http://www.everythinglubbock.com/ne...-two-of-the-richest-texans-under-40/663792612

I expect them to start announcing when the football season is over. They have a large Texas presence being a large public university. They just haven't made TV ratings because they have not had anything to cheer. Leach years they did.

Funny thing is the Big 12 will have the best facilities of any conference. Have you ever been to UGA or some of these SEC stadiums, their stadiums can hold a lot of people, but it's an ugly stadium. Big 12 keeping up with the Jones and fearing for the worst has pushed each member to be committed to excellence so they are not left behind. Just think if they gave that same commitment to the Big 12. If UT and OU was truly all in (as committed to make the conference brand as good as it's own university), Big 12 would never have a problem and a state school like Arizona would beg to be in as other conferences are not as committed. If Big 12 could be around to gain generational fans. But UT/OU are not 100%, and the fear is there.

Last edited:

TCUdirtbag

How would you rank the current Big XII football stadiums pound for pound? Thoughts on SEC stadiums visited?

It’s impossible to do this objectively. How do you weigh capacity, loudness, technology, tightness vs spaciousness, design/architecture, vlidoeboards, in-game entertainment, traditions, tailgating/environment, concessions, etc.? Are we talking about premium seating/experience or fan seating/experience or student seating/experience or player facilities/experience? Are we considering value on the dollar (a $50 ticket at TCU vs a $50 ticket at UT/OU) or not?

CountryFrog

I think Kansas is way understated. Right now they are equals to UT/OU in value. When you are a blue blood in one of the top sports in the NCAA your value is supreme. Kansas makes more profit than most all teams just on basketball. Football can be corrected over the years. Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Syracuse have nothing to worry. They are blue bloods. Not to mention Kansas is the state school. Now Kansas does need to upgrade facilities and they are doing exactly that http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article174926821.html
Most of that value that the KU basketball brings is not being shared with the conference though. Saying that they're equals to OU and UT (who can basically just name the conference they'd like to be in) is insane. Value to a conference is 100% based on your ability to impact their tv contract which is 100% based on your football program. Duke is in the same boat. If the ACC ever falls apart then they're almost certainly headed for the American.

Last edited:

Frog-in-law1995

How would you rank the current Big XII football stadiums pound for pound? Thoughts on SEC stadiums visited?

Alabama’s stadium reminded me very much of OU’s. A ginormous, not unattractive but not really“pretty” brown rectangle. Nice history stuff outside.

Haven’t been to Kyle for 15 years or so, but it has all the external Soviet-era charm that Baylor’s does, but whereas McLane is actually pretty nice once you get to your seat, Kyle remains fugly the whole time.

MTfrog5

Alabama’s stadium reminded me very much of OU’s. A ginormous, not unattractive but not really“pretty” brown rectangle. Nice history stuff outside.

Haven’t been to Kyle for 15 years or so, but it has all the external Soviet-era charm that Baylor’s does, but whereas McLane is actually pretty nice once you get to your seat, Kyle remains fugly the whole time.
Kyle is pretty nice now that their renovations are done. Disagree about Baylor big time though. It looks like it’s 20 years old already and cheap. It’s a giant cluster when inside the stadium with the third and second levels sharing a concourse. Only good thing is their video board and the view towards their campus.

Frog-in-law1995

Kyle is pretty nice now that their renovations are done. Disagree about Baylor big time though. It looks like it’s 20 years old already and cheap. It’s a giant cluster when inside the stadium with the third and second levels sharing a concourse. Only good thing is their video board and the view towards their campus.

As I said, Baylor is nice once you’re at your seat.

LeagueCityFrog

Pound for pound is cost, concourse, tailgate, leg room, bathrooms, spirit squads, team intro, in game music, fireworks, food options, luxury areas, jumbotron, and how it looks on the outside. To me, leg room and general space is a big factor TCU has over the state schools. And the concourse space and bathrooms.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

I can say that Amon G. Carter is fabulous. Especially so compared to, say, UT's Memorial Stadium. The reasons why have to do with air movement: They built the thing without the ability to allow the breeze to waft through, making the east side a broiler. The bathroom drainage is also inadequate, which is surprising. Makes me think they employed Aggies to design and build the place...

OU's stadium is a hodgepodge of built-on additions. A&M's was the same. Sometimes that can work, but when you are talking the volume of people they are trying to cram in there, it is about as easy to get round as on a Houston freeway. The SEC stadiums are much the same in terms of add-on instead of newly built. The difficulty they face, of course, is how to increase capacity/amenities without losing your revenue stream for a year or more.

At the risk of getting into a big debate about it, I’ll just say that nobody I’ve ever talked to has shared high opinions of the “enterprise value” of Kansas Athletics. They totally fail to leverage their size and mid-west location in the one area where it could be most beneficial, Football. If they had a championship level Football program, paired with basketball and their alumni, university quality, etc etc, they would be ahead of Oklahoma and closing on Texas. For now, they are a distant third behind those two, and I’ve heard arguments they are really fourth behind West Virginia.

The Big 10 told them this in no uncertain terms back during Realignment Vs. 1... nothing positive has happened since then.

Nolaeer

Someone said:
TCU only needs to keep winning, right now we are the 3rd or 4th (at worst) most attractive candidate for expansion out of the Big 12
1. Texas
2. Oklahoma
3. TCU
4. Kansas
5. Iowa State
6. West Virginia
7. Oklahoma State
8. Texas Tech
9. Kansas State
10. Baylor

The first 2 are correct. The President of WVU recently stated there will be a realignment in 2022 when the tv rights are up. He said if the big 12 is proactive, it will add teams rather than lose them.

The new texas ad has stated he wants the big 12 to survive.

Gee said there will be teams left out after realignment, but that WVU had zero chance of being one of them. Our sports are strong across the board and WVU has a strong fan base and good tv ratings.

TCU is good in sports, my only worry(if big 12 doesnt survive) is a relatively small fanbase compared to Texas, OU, Oklahoma State, WVU. I think baylor kstate and iowa state have reasons to be worried.

WVU lost out to missou in the sec expansion bc(one major reason) bc our baseball facilities sucked. WVU built a new stadium and now is one of the nicest there is-period. Iowa State doesnt even have a baseball team, which likely rules them out of any other conference.

MAcFroggy

WVU lost out to missou in the sec expansion bc(one major reason) bc our baseball facilities sucked. WVU built a new stadium and now is one of the nicest there is-period. Iowa State doesnt even have a baseball team, which likely rules them out of any other conference.

College baseball has 0% to due with realignment. Not even for the SEC. Mizzou was just a more attractive candidate at the time. The SEC was looking for attractive cable markets, and Mizzou is in a decently populated state with two metro areas (KC and STL). WVU just could not compete with the cable markets.

WVU and Mizzou football were both in pretty good places coming off of pretty good 5-10 year periods at the time.

CountryFrog

Someone said:
TCU only needs to keep winning, right now we are the 3rd or 4th (at worst) most attractive candidate for expansion out of the Big 12
1. Texas
2. Oklahoma
3. TCU
4. Kansas
5. Iowa State
6. West Virginia
7. Oklahoma State
8. Texas Tech
9. Kansas State
10. Baylor

The first 2 are correct. The President of WVU recently stated there will be a realignment in 2022 when the tv rights are up. He said if the big 12 is proactive, it will add teams rather than lose them.

Gee said there will be teams left out after realignment, but that WVU had zero chance of being one of them. Our sports are strong across the board and WVU has a strong fan base and good tv ratings.

TCU is good in sports, my only worry(if big 12 doesnt survive) is a relatively small fanbase compared to Texas, OU, Oklahoma State, WVU. I think baylor kstate and iowa state have reasons to be worried.

Baseball is a non factor but I agree WVU should definitely be ahead of ISU and probably Kansas too.

Nolaeer

WVU makes 9 million a year in tier 3 rights. That's behind texas, but not many others in big 12.

wvu has been to sweet 16 3 of the past 4 years and were eliminated by 3 teams with a combined record of like 132-5. nova, ky, gonzaga.

we just hired one of the best wrestling coaches in the east away from edinburough, new baseball stadium, very solid women's sports, won 5 straight rifle titles before finishing 2nd this year(i know rifle nonfactor).

point is wvu has good tv ratings despite merket flaws cable likes. But down the road tv ratings will trump cable as people will pay to see what they want.

im certainly no arguing wvu has a better chance than some in big 12, but gee our president said we had zero percent chance being left out-and that's all i care about.

Brog

Someone said:
1. Texas
2. Oklahoma
3. TCU
4. Kansas
5. Iowa State
6. West Virginia
7. Oklahoma State
8. Texas Tech
9. Kansas State
10. Baylor

Right, but if the size of the fanbase causes Baylor Kstate and Iowa state to worry, don't they all have bigger fan bases than we do? Sure hope "size of fanbase" isn't the final, determining factor in any realignment.