• The KillerFrogs

The Baylor - McLennan County Rape Cover-up Collusion Is Still Going Strong

froginmn

I find it interesting how some Baylor people say "it happens at every school."

It does, but silly dorks, if I can break Google by searching for Baylor rape, you have more than a casual problem.

Mean Purple

Question for the legal minds:

I have seen some articles jump the judge on this. However, if a plea deal is brought to a judge, isn't it on the DA? Is it normal for a judge to step in and shut down a plea deal? Just seems like the judge is given a bad stack of cards on that.

Also, does the offering of the plea deal mean that the DA may not have had enough to get the convictions otherwise?

Regardless, that guy who did that to that girl is a sorry piece of trash. Hard to see why he is not headed to pen.

Froglaw

Maybe so, but the way the DA’s Office informed the victim of the plea deal (by email) is disgraceful. Then the ADA doesn’t show up at sentencing and is now “sick” with no one else available in the entire office that can talk about it. It is almost like the DA’s Office doesn’t want to answer any questions pertaining to this plea deal.

Any trial lawyer will tell you that witnesses don't always tell the truth. That means a lawyer has to judge the strength of a case knowing that the pre-trial information they have is flawed.

Therefore, when a deal is in the best interest of the case then the lawyer in charge has to make a call.

Frogenstein

Any trial lawyer will tell you that witnesses don't always tell the truth. That means a lawyer has to judge the strength of a case knowing that the pre-trial information they have is flawed.

Therefore, when a deal is in the best interest of the case then the lawyer in charge has to make a call.
I understand that. My comments had to do with the way the DA’s Office handled the situation.

On the news tonight, they said that UTD has kicked the individual out of school.
meh. If I had had a vocal, adamant victim like this I would have tried the case. A DA litererally loses nothing from an NG where the victim insists on trying what appears to be a weak case. If it’s an auto theft with proof problems and you plead it down in the face of victim objection so be it. If it’s a violent personal crime the downside to pleading it down in the face of this kind of opposition far outweighs the value of a chicken illegal restraint deferred

Froglaw

meh. If I had had a vocal, adamant victim like this I would have tried the case. A DA litererally loses nothing from an NG where the victim insists on trying what appears to be a weak case. If it’s an auto theft with proof problems and you plead it down in the face of victim objection so be it. If it’s a violent personal crime the downside to pleading it down in the face of this kind of opposition far outweighs the value of a chicken sh illegal restraint deferred

So you would have no ethical qualms prosecuting a case knowing that reasonable doubt exists and that an innocent man may go to prison for life?

Really?