• The KillerFrogs

Texas Tech example of good MBB coaching hire

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Raiders just beat OU for third straight win over ranked opponent for first time in school history under Tubby Smith

KCFrog

No, it takes at least half a decade to build a respectable men's basketball program. Trent Johnson's agent will tell you that.

Sarcasm aside, you are dead-on. And Tech still gets us and K-State at home, and a likely Evans-less OSU on the road. 

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Big diference plugging in someone at a state school. Different challenges at a private school with scholastic standards. I'd be looking to assts with upsides at places like Duke, ND...

TCUdirtbag

froggyfiveo said:
The guys record is 41-46 at Tech.  That's really worth the $1.9M they drop on him every year.
CTJ is 49-63 in 4 years and we're dropping $1.5 per year and haven't sniffed the NCAA Tournament (or really any improvement at all) in 4 years.

Tubby Smith was 27-37 in his first two years at Tech. This year they're 16-9 and are likely to make the NCAA Tournament.

So, yes---the extra $400k is well worth it. Especially since he turned it around in year 3. We've paid CTJ more overall and gotten far less.

Pharm Frog

Hoosierfrog said:
Big diference plugging in someone at a state school. Different challenges at a private school with scholastic standards. I'd be looking to assts with upsides at places like Duke, ND...

Have we lost basketball players to academic ineligibility?  If we're talking about admission standards, I'd be surprised if there's that much of a difference.  I recently saw a PPT from TCU that led me to believe that we may use the "eligibility requirements" of the clearinghouse (and will use the new standards that kick in in August).  Could be completely wrong on that though.

stxan3

scott patrick-  great stat but the past 2 games, where tech beat baylor on road by 20 and OU at home,  sophomores and a few juniors scored 68 of 80 against baylor and 54 of 65 against OU.  explain to me how they aren't winning with underclassmen?

frognutz

By any standard, Tech BB has been far more successful that TCU in recent times.  Since '98 TCU has had zero NCAA appearances while Tech is currently working on their 5th.

pastorfrog

As a Kentucky basketball fan I can tell you tubby won his title the way Larry Coker won his- talent he didn't recruit or develop. Tubby never got back to the Final Four. The resources Kentucky has for basketball makes Alabama blush. This is Tubbys best coaching job, ever. He was fired at Kentucky and Minnesota. I can't believe he's doing this well. Good for him.

ScottPatrick

stxan3 said:
scott patrick-  great stat but the past 2 games, where tech beat baylor on road by 20 and OU at home,  sophomores and a few juniors scored 68 of 80 against baylor and 54 of 65 against OU.  explain to me how they aren't winning with underclassmen?

Just pointing out that they have great senior leadership and last night Gotcher, who is a 5th year SR, came up with the play of the game. Also, it is a great stat that the kids recruited by Gillespie are leading the team.