• The KillerFrogs

Texas - Notre Dame

berryfrog95

There has been rumblings down here on the Austin radio stations obviously about the realignment possibilities. But, the latest has been Texas and Notre Dame combining their power and making a splash with this expansion.

1) bringing ND to Big XII and then adding the peices if anyone leaves for other pastures (i.e. Mizzou, Neb, Colo)

2) keeping the 12 in-tact, adding Notre Dame and maybe add a TCU or BYU or another...

3) both making an alliance and hand selecting schools across the country to form a super-conference.

Thought I'd through this out there for discussion or if anyone heard these rumblings?! Sorry if topic has been addressed, didn't see a post for it....

GO FROGS!!

gdu

from ND's perspective: why would #1 or #2 be a better option than the B1011 or their current situation? It wouldn't; should be end of discussion.

froginaustin

QUOTE(crunch @ May 20 2010, 09:00 AM) [snapback]561960[/snapback]
Sports radio guys in secondary cities are notoriously desperate for a little attention.

And we have some around Austin that will say anything not forbidden by the FCC to get attention. And they're not very smart, so they say some really stupid things, like Noater Dame to the Big Twelve.

West Coast Johnny

QUOTE(berryfrog95 @ May 20 2010, 07:29 AM) [snapback]561944[/snapback]
1) bringing ND to Big XII and then adding the peices if anyone leaves for other pastures (i.e. Mizzou, Neb, Colo)

Bringing ND to the Big 12 makes some sense to me. ND can read the writing on the wall about independence. Joining the Big 12 means that ND can protect itself while still giving the finger to the Big 10.

West Coast Johnny

QUOTE(tcugdu @ May 20 2010, 07:56 AM) [snapback]561955[/snapback]
from ND's perspective: why would #1 or #2 be a better option than the B1011 or their current situation? It wouldn't; should be end of discussion.

As a result of history and at the heart of all ND supporters is a strong dislike for the Big 10. Joining the Big 10 for ND would be like a capitulation.

JimSwinkLives!

QUOTE(berryfrog95 @ May 20 2010, 09:29 AM) [snapback]561944[/snapback]
There has been rumblings down here on the Austin radio stations obviously about the realignment possibilities. But, the latest has been Texas and Notre Dame combining their power and making a splash with this expansion.

2) keeping the 12 in-tact, adding Notre Dame and maybe add a TCU or BYU or another...

3) both making an alliance and hand selecting schools across the country to form a super-conference.

Thought I'd through this out there for discussion or if anyone heard these rumblings?! Sorry if topic has been addressed, didn't see a post for it....

GO FROGS!!

The first two scenarios make absolutely no financial sense to ND. The third option is fraught will all kinds of wrangles and maneuvers that would take years to develop.

berryfrog95

QUOTE(crunch @ May 20 2010, 10:00 AM) [snapback]561960[/snapback]
double

you did say it again Crunch.....haha....and I doubt it's being just talked about on the 40-acres.

tcugdu, I wouldn't shun anything at this point....all bets are on....just convo on here.

ND plays games down in texas almost every-year, they know that the Rust Belt is less desirable than the Sun-belt....

joejordan

QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ May 20 2010, 11:04 AM) [snapback]561966[/snapback]
As a result of history and at the heart of all ND supporters is a strong dislike for the Big 10. Joining the Big 10 for ND would be like a capitulation.

And joining the Big 12 would be like decapitation - or more like neuterization.

Not that I'd mind. I've no love for the Irish.

gdu

QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ May 20 2010, 03:02 PM) [snapback]561963[/snapback]
Bringing ND to the Big 12 makes some sense to me. ND can read the writing on the wall about independence. Joining the Big 12 means that ND can protect itself while still giving the finger to the Big 10.

Why does ND want to give the finger to the big 10? More network tv money. Better rivalries. Better conference games. Less travel.

I'm sure ND is really looking forward to matching up with ISU, Kansas, Baylor and Okie Lite.

gdu

QUOTE(berryfrog95 @ May 20 2010, 03:07 PM) [snapback]561972[/snapback]
tcugdu, I wouldn't shun anything at this point....all bets are on....just convo on here.

I will shun this. I don't have enought time to waste to come up with a scenario more stupid than this (maybe Colorado to the MWC) and I have alot of time to waste.

This is dumber than Texas to the SEC.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(tcugdu @ May 20 2010, 10:22 AM) [snapback]561992[/snapback]
Why does ND want to give the finger to the big 10? More network tv money. Better rivalries. Better conference games. Less travel.

I'm sure ND is really looking forward to matching up with ISU, Kansas, Baylor and Okie Lite.

there are some who believe that ND holds a grudge because the Big 10 may or may not have rejected them back in the early days due to being Catholic. Never mind that ND has a long history with many of the individual members of the Big 10, or that Notre Dame itself has always been split on the subject of joining the Big 10.

gdu

QUOTE(RSF @ May 20 2010, 03:25 PM) [snapback]561997[/snapback]
there are some who believe that ND holds a grudge because the Big 10 may or may not have rejected them back in the early days due to being Catholic. Never mind that ND has a long history with many of the individual members of the Big 10, or that Notre Dame itself has always been split on the subject of joining the Big 10.

And that's fine, but it isn't enough of a reason to do something stupid like joining the B12 for less money, worse games and worse travel.

berryfrog95

QUOTE(tcugdu @ May 20 2010, 10:23 AM) [snapback]561994[/snapback]
I will shun this. I don't have enought time to waste to come up with a scenario more stupid than this (maybe Colorado to the MWC) and I have alot of time to waste.

This is dumber than Texas to the SEC.

Its more realistic texas lines up with Notre Dame than the SEC, and I do agree with you on one point, COLO to mwc is hilarious.....

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(TCUFrogs @ May 20 2010, 10:34 AM) [snapback]562008[/snapback]
I have heard that Texas wants to go INDEPENDENT. Like the model ND.

I believe they are exploring that possibility.

I can see them trying. I can also see them failing. Financially, they could probably make a go of it - I can see a Longhorn Network making as much as what they get from the Big 12. But its doubtful they'd have the same national pull that BTN has or even Notre Dame. And can you see the BCS cutting UT a special deal like ND has? Not likely.

gdu

QUOTE(berryfrog95 @ May 20 2010, 03:37 PM) [snapback]562010[/snapback]
Its more realistic texas lines up with Notre Dame than the SEC, and I do agree with you on one point, COLO to mwc is hilarious.....

Texas lining up with ND wasn't what I was talking about; ND lining up with the B12 was. Not gonna happen.

TCUFrogs

QUOTE(RSF @ May 20 2010, 10:38 AM) [snapback]562011[/snapback]
I can see them trying. I can also see them failing. Financially, they could probably make a go of it - I can see a Longhorn Network making as much as what they get from the Big 12. But its doubtful they'd have the same national pull that BTN has or even Notre Dame. And can you see the BCS cutting UT a special deal like ND has? Not likely.

Yeah, I think the BCS deal would be the deal breaker (or clincher). It would definitely require a special provision/ammendment to accomodate them. Not unheard of for Texas, but a genuine issue. If it were not a problem, my understanding is that they would be all over doing it.

West Coast Johnny

QUOTE(tcugdu @ May 20 2010, 08:22 AM) [snapback]561992[/snapback]

Big 10 has been courting ND for a century. The big 10 is like a nagging girlfriend that wants to get married. Deep pocket ND would rather have their own TV contract and less money for the prestege, than be part of the Big 10 network even if it meant less cash IMO.