• The KillerFrogs

Texas four-year college annual tuition costs

sandiegojack

I meant to say that I started in 1962 and graduated in 1966. I paid $20 a semester hour for two years and $25 for the last two years. These days, I question whether a TCU education costs is worth it. When I was there, there was NO gradeflation, believe me. I battled for a C in some business school classes. In some business classes, no one in the class made an A.

What families' income is < $30K? My 16 year old daughter works at a fast food chain on the weekends. She makes $15.00/hr. That rate annualized at 2,080 is $31.2K. Sorry, but if a families' income is < $30K, that family isn't trying to make a living.
I am surprised her hourly pay is that high ($15). So I am curious—which fast food chain is that and is this in Texas (where I think the minimum wage is $7.25)? A few days ago, a caller on a radio show I flipped to stated that he was making $10.50 per hour at Wendy’s. He has been there six months. I think it was a local call-in show in Houston, but it could have been national.

Last edited:

mc1502

I am surprised her hourly pay is that high ($15). So I am curious—which fast food chain is that and is this in Texas (where I think the minimum wage is $7.25)? A few days ago, a caller on a radio show I flipped to stated that he was making $10.50 per hour at Wendy’s. He has been there six months. I think it was a local call-in show in Houston, but it could have been national.
She works at Raising Cane’s. We live in the metroplex.

Pharm Frog

Ha! I know of two fast food chains in Granbury starting at $13.50 and $15.00 an hour. Wasn’t that long ago Daughter was making $26 per hour car hopping at Sonic but most of that was tip-related. One of wife’s friend’s daughter was hired at Sonic a couple of months ago at $12 per hours plus tips…worked three days and quit because they scheduled her for a Saturday shift.

Endless Purple

What families' income is < $30K? My 16 year old daughter works at a fast food chain on the weekends. She makes $15.00/hr. That rate annualized at 2,080 is $31.2K. Sorry, but if a families' income is < $30K, that family isn't trying to make a living.
As TCUDirtbag pointed out, you are calculating that there are no days off for vacation, personal time, sick days - pretty harsh and not realistic for most. Also you pointed out she is working weekends. How many full time employees do they have? Most only hire part time to avoid insurance guidelines. Not to mention most do not pay that much in the industry, so you are using a limited access position, so misleading to use an outlier instead of the norm for proof of that everyone should have over $30,000.

Also that still leaves $23,000 for tuition based on the earlier post, so hope rent does not need to come out of that $30,000 that everyone should have.

mc1502

As TCUDirtbag pointed out, you are calculating that there are no days off for vacation, personal time, sick days - pretty harsh and not realistic for most. Also you pointed out she is working weekends. How many full time employees do they have? Most only hire part time to avoid insurance guidelines. Not to mention most do not pay that much in the industry, so you are using a limited access position, so misleading to use an outlier instead of the norm for proof of that everyone should have over $30,000.

Also that still leaves $23,000 for tuition based on the earlier post, so hope rent does not need to come out of that $30,000 that everyone should have.
I think you guys misunderstood my point. I’m passing no judgement on whether or not a person should have some or all of their tuition offset due to their income. I was only trying to say that the vast majority of household incomes should exceed that $30k mark, thus making the number of people who pay no tuition fees at Rice very small.

bp4tcu

I mean, if we're talking academics, Rice is really all that matters.

Everyone else is just trying to keep up with them.

Endless Purple

I think you guys misunderstood my point. I’m passing no judgement on whether or not a person should have some or all of their tuition offset due to their income. I was only trying to say that the vast majority of household incomes should exceed that $30k mark, thus making the number of people who pay no tuition fees at Rice very small.
No worries on that part. But according to the US census 26% of households are under 35,000 (they did not have a 30,000 breaking point- 21% based on breakdowns) So that would be a significant number of households to consider when talking about cost of higher ed, and at what point there are scholarships and the average amount actually paid. Many of those households need to be getting into higher education to help break life style cycles.

But back on topic - Popeye's over Raising Cane's

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
My younger kid starts at TCU in the fall. With his grades/tests, the cost is doable. In fact less expensive than some of the state unis He was considering. For my older kid, who wasn’t quite as serious as a student, it was out of reach. He had a great experience at University of North Texas, though

tcuyoda

Comparing tuition then and now is a slippery slope. $20 in 1964 is $178 now according to inflation tables. That would make 15 hours in today's $$ around $27k. The kicker is fees and books. Number of fees has increased ant books are off the charts. But we complained about these back in the day as wel.Big difference today is TCU has exploded the scholarship money available. There are pant load of small 'ships that people overlook going for the big ones. You could cobble together a nice support amount there. The other trick is going to community college for the first year and avoiding the first year bomb. Transferring into TCU is generally easier than freshman admittance.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Comparing tuition then and now is a slippery slope. $20 in 1964 is $178 now according to inflation tables. That would make 15 hours in today's $$ around $27k. The kicker is fees and books. Number of fees has increased ant books are off the charts. But we complained about these back in the day as wel.Big difference today is TCU has exploded the scholarship money available. There are pant load of small 'ships that people overlook going for the big ones. You could cobble together a nice support amount there. The other trick is going to community college for the first year and avoiding the first year bomb. Transferring into TCU is generally easier than freshman admittance.
Also back in the day, Prof Jacobsen would remind everyone who would listen that TCU had a student activities fee or something similar, and that was it. The big state schools had smaller tuition (per hour) than TCU, but them made up for it with all sorts of fees. That is obviously no longer the case, as TCU had hopped on the "fee bandwagon" as well.

Good to see you back, Yoda!!!