• The KillerFrogs

Texas four-year college annual tuition costs

TCUdirtbag

TCU costs more than Rice.

LOL

Not sure TCU has ever cost less than Rice. Rice was tuition free for a very long time and an incredible deal for longer. Used to be a solid 10k plus less than the other primary Texas privates (TCU SMU BU). As others mention, massive endowment, low enrollment, and tons of tuition discounts.

Of all the costs, I was actually most shocked at how much Rice has gone up relative to the others. But the sticker price is misleading.

Pharm Frog

They just started football back up also...they should be at UTSA level within 10 years.
They started up 6-7 years ago. Are they getting better…yes. They were pretty decent in that 5-game spring season but that’s about it. Will they be at UTSA level in 10 years? Nope…unless UTSA decides to go D2.

McFroggin

I am about 90% sure that when Rice was an "Institute," there was no tuition. If you got in, all of that was paid from the endowment or other funds.

About 20 years ago, the valedictorian of my class (700+ kids) went to Rice. He received about $1,000 scholarship per year. He paid the rest. TCU offered him a full ride. His mother wasn’t excited about that.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I believe Rice has an enrollment of about 1900 undergrads and 1000 or so graduate students. It is a wee tiny outfit.

Chongo94

They just started football back up also...they should be at UTSA level within 10 years.
Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

Eight

Rice offers free cost of admission (tuition, room and board, etc) for household incomes below $75k, fee full tuition scholarships $75-$140k, and half tuition $140-200k. Apparently this program falls under the "Institute."

I love my alma mater, but a TCU undergrad degree now costs $290k? Is it ten times better than the degree (total cost $30k) I received in 2000?

were you taught that you only are where you are today because you and others like you have stood on the back of a repressed culture?

froginmn

Rice offers free cost of admission (tuition, room and board, etc) for household incomes below $75k, fee full tuition scholarships $75-$140k, and half tuition $140-200k. Apparently this program falls under the "Institute."

I love my alma mater, but a TCU undergrad degree now costs $290k? Is it ten times better than the degree (total cost $30k) I received in 2000?
Did you only attend for a year and a half?

TCU cost about 11K per year when I was there in the early 90s.

froginmn

Data provided by TuitionTracker.org. I would say all Texas four-year colleges have a football program so not sure what point is attempted ... all it tells me is that private schools are more expensive.

279506874_4968294436557991_5884782802409832583_n.jpg
Cancel student loan debt and suddenly all of the schools will cost the same (SMU's price).

TCUdirtbag

About 20 years ago, the valedictorian of my class (700+ kids) went to Rice. He received about $1,000 scholarship per year. He paid the rest. TCU offered him a full ride. His mother wasn’t excited about that.

A quick google tells me Rice tuition was $15,000 in 2000.

Depends on what he did with his degree, bur odds are he made the right investment.

TCUdirtbag

I believe Rice has an enrollment of about 1900 undergrads and 1000 or so graduate students. It is a wee tiny outfit.

It is quite small but they’ve been steadily growing the past 15 years. Up to over double that with plans to continue the growth.

Virginia Frog

Did you only attend for a year and a half?

TCU cost about 11K per year when I was there in the early 90s.
"Estimated cost of attendance" (tuition, fees, basic room, meal card - that didn't come close to filling my gut, books, supplies, etc) (no rich kid benefits like auto, frat dues, nice threads, plenty of "lady chasing" funds, et.al.)

in 1976-77: $4,700 ($74 per sem hour, $80 in '77-78)

(min wage about $2.10 - work a 16 week summer job full-time and you could maybe cover half the costs. Today @ $15 per hour summer =16x40x15= $9600. That's about 13% of the annual total.) It's really an up-hill climb.

SuperTFrog

I graduated 20 years ago as well. I was asked to pitch TCU by someone who has a daughter looking at schools and I said unless my kids got a hefty scholarship I wouldn’t send them to TCU. The cost/benefit isn’t there unless they plan on living in Fort Worth. If you are going to live in FW it is pretty damn fun to go to a ton of sporting events and the business benefits are great as Frogs like to work with other Frogs.

mc1502

I graduated 20 years ago as well. I was asked to pitch TCU by someone who has a daughter looking at schools and I said unless my kids got a hefty scholarship I wouldn’t send them to TCU. The cost/benefit isn’t there unless they plan on living in Fort Worth. If you are going to live in FW it is pretty damn fun to go to a ton of sporting events and the business benefits are great as Frogs like to work with other Frogs.
This exactly. I have a HS senior right now. He grew up going to every TCU sporting event you can think of. TCU events were what my family did together, but at the end of the day the ROI for him to go to TCU just wasn't there at today's prices. I loved my time at TCU, I think it served me well in setting me up for grad school and beyond, but I would not attend TCU today at the current price. If TCU had been as relatively expensive then as it is now, I would have likely gone to UT.

dawg

"Estimated cost of attendance" (tuition, fees, basic room, meal card - that didn't come close to filling my gut, books, supplies, etc) (no rich kid benefits like auto, frat dues, nice threads, plenty of "lady chasing" funds, et.al.)

in 1976-77: $4,700 ($74 per sem hour, $80 in '77-78)

(min wage about $2.10 - work a 16 week summer job full-time and you could maybe cover half the costs. Today @ $15 per hour summer =16x40x15= $9600. That's about 13% of the annual total.) It's really an up-hill climb.
Yup. Even when I was in school from 96-2000, I could work 40 hrs a week in the summer, 24-ish/wk during the academic year, and pay a nice chunk of tuition my Fr and So years. Lived at home which helped cut costs, too.

No way a kid from a middle class family could do that today.