• The KillerFrogs

Texas celebrating HUGE win!!

SuperTFrog

Did y’all see how good they are? How did that team not win the big 12? National Championship? Man, with that QB they are going to be SO good next year.

Oh wait, it’s the same [ Finebaum ]ty UT team that gets their ass whipped over and over by TCU and every other good team in the big 12 every year for the last decade. Bet they are ranked in the top 12 to start the season because they “dismantled” an awful PAC 12 team in their bowl game.

Good for you, UT. You finally didn’t lose 4+ games after a decade. Thankfully you didn’t have to play Maryland in non-conference this year...

THEY’RE BACK!!!!!

OICU812

I understand the impulse to take any UT success with a giant eye roll. But that freshman RB is legit. And the QB looked better in a half than Sam has ever looked on his best day. No telling what Mensa can do with that, and I have no clue what else they have coming back but if they don't perform next year it won't be because of those two.

Horny4TCU

The only reason I can think UT won is because the kids from Colorado were still rocky mountain high....

100.gif

asleep003

Evidently Herman's attempt to sneak out of Austin, was no distraction... as the kids obviously didn't give a crap, one way or the other.

4th. down

I understand the impulse to take any UT success with a giant eye roll. But that freshman RB is legit. And the QB looked better in a half than Sam has ever looked on his best day. No telling what Mensa can do with that, and I have no clue what else they have coming back but if they don't perform next year it won't be because of those two.

A 225lb. 5* RB that averages 18 yds./carry in a bowl game vs a Power 5 opponent, cannot be dismissed. The kids played for Mensa this game. What the future holds with Ehlinger opting out or not but that QB replacement was hot, hot, hot. He must have or have had a good QB coach.

OICU812

Thompson was very good. I believe they had the better QB on the bench all season. Interesting he is a son of former OU quarterback Charles Thompson.

Yeah I perked up when they said that last night. Remember his dad being very good for Switzer, but as a runner and distributor in the triple option. Seems like he had a good arm when he did throw but that just wasn't what OU did back then. Also was shorter, which I guess is desirable in the hide-the-ball triple option scheme.

As 4th down mentioned, he's been well-coached somewhere. The announcers mentioned his mental command of the offense and his hard work in studying. It was pretty amazing to see a kid with so little prior PT come in and play like he did. It's no wonder he was on the verge of transferring, having to sit behind and watch a guy who isn't anywhere near on his talent level.

Eight

Yeah I perked up when they said that last night. Remember his dad being very good for Switzer, but as a runner and distributor in the triple option. Seems like he had a good arm when he did throw but that just wasn't what OU did back then. Also was shorter, which I guess is desirable in the hide-the-ball triple option scheme.

As 4th down mentioned, he's been well-coached somewhere. The announcers mentioned his mental command of the offense and his hard work in studying. It was pretty amazing to see a kid with so little prior PT come in and play like he did. It's no wonder he was on the verge of transferring, having to sit behind and watch a guy who isn't anywhere near on his talent level.

so why is it amazing that a back up would have an understanding of the team's offense or a team would have more than one talented quarterback on its roster?

OICU812

I don't know, since literally nobody said that. I used the word, "amazing," to describe his ability to come in off the bench, with presumably no first-team practice reps, no warm-up time, and virtually no game experience and be so comfortable and take over the game in a way the starter could not do. Backups in the NFL don't come in cold, mid-game, and play at the level this kid did.

You conflated that to pretend I said I was amazed that they had a good backup and amazed that he knew the offense, which I did not. Maybe reading comprehension just isn't your thing.

You really do try too hard to find fault where it doesn't exist, it's tiresome.

Eight

I don't know, since literally nobody said that. I used the word, "amazing," to describe his ability to come in off the bench, with presumably no first-team practice reps, no warm-up time, and virtually no game experience and be so comfortable and take over the game in a way the starter could not do. Backups in the NFL don't come in cold, mid-game, and play at the level this kid did.

You conflated that to pretend I said I was amazed that they had a good backup and amazed that he knew the offense, which I did not. Maybe reading comprehension just isn't your thing.

You really do try to hard too hard to find fault where it doesn't exist, it's tiresome.

didn't he start the second half so he didn't start cold as you suggested and he knew at half time meaning had time to warm up to play and as far as practice reps why nothing with the first team?

some programs might actually prepare for things going wrong. not as if mensa had not seen before the value in having not just one capable backups but two and heck, that wasn't even in the nfl

thompson has been at texas three seasons and was one of the top dual threat quarterback prospects in the country when he signed so it isn't as if he doesn't have talent nor time to learn the system

CountryFrog

They also looked incredible in last year's Alamo Bowl. And yet somehow that didn't carry over to 2020.

Texas is a good program with talented players. They have the ability to roll over opponents that are overmatched athletically but seem to lose almost every time they play teams with similar athletes.